Check out these notes written by alpha fan taking a look at the New Mexico Lobos' next opponent, the CSUN Matadors. The game will be in Albuquerque,
Check out these notes written by alpha fan taking a look at the New Mexico Lobos’ next opponent, the CSUN Matadors. The game will be in Albuquerque, scheduled for Saturday Nov. 9 at 7pm MT.
By alpha fan
By alpha fan
- California State University, Northridge enrollment is 38,700 (compared to the University of New Mexico 27,300)
- Coach Mark Gottfried came back to California after being terminated from NC State having coached at Alabama as well. He hopes to resurrect his career while elevating the Matadors to national prominence. Hiring his mentor at UCLA, Jim Harrick as assistant, should make his success come quicker.
- Returning starters from last year’s team will help. Reigning BW Freshman of the year and preseason POY Candidate, SOPH, Lamine Diane (24.8 points, 11.2 Rebs) had the potential to lead the way, however he is currently academically ineligible. The team still counts with first team all conference member, JR, Terrell Gomez (19.2 points/game).
- They are still young and have a big time coach. It appears the Matadors are committed to being the class of the Big West and have taken the first steps to getting there.
- They will be one of the tougher home games on the Lobos nonconference schedule. It took Vlad and Cory hitting 15 of 17 free throws and Anthony’s banked 3 pointer to beat these guys last year, the Lobos won a close one at the end.
- The Matadors will have to contend with Carlton AND play at 5000 ft. this year.
No cupcake here?
Lobos win in a close one.