Topic starter Posted : September 2, 2022 2:11 pm
zygote and Lobo2x53 reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin
redrum
(@redrum)
Famed Member

I like her game. I think it fits with ours. She's going to be a solid player, I think even as a freshman. It's hard to gage high school to D1. I don't think she'll be as fast as Shai, but she's going to come in with more skills than AT or Shai did. She doesn't shoot horribly from outside, but her real game is 10 foot and in. She can also create her own shot, facing or with her back to the hoop. Guud get coaches. Guud get.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2022 4:57 pm
txlobo95, zygote and Lobo2x53 reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

Every season Mike says "We're going to play the same as we have played before".  It has become coach-speak that is not always connected to the data.

We know the players we have for 2022-23.  Looking ahead a season, we know Shai, Tora, and Tay leave.  It's unknown whether Amaya will get a hardship season, so for a moment let's assume she also leaves.

We have 11 who may return plus two commits for 2023-24.

6'-6'1:  (5)  Hulda, Brooke, Paula, Hannah, Paris

5'9-5'11:  (4)  Natalia, Kath, Mackenzie, Viane

5'7-5'8:  (4)  Aniyah, Jaelyn, Nia, Gianna

In the 5'7/5'8 category Nia may or may not use her 5th year of eligibility, and the other three are listed as PGs.

That is a different look in uniform size and likely an increase in the physicality on the wings from the starting five of 21-22 and leaves two openings (one if Nia returns with everyone else).  I suspect two more commitment announcements are expected soon.

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Lobo2x53
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2022 5:32 pm
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

I may change my mind before the end of the season, but I think we need to sign a more experienced point guard transfer in the spring to give the young'uns a chance to develop.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 2, 2022 6:48 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @redrum

I like her game. I think it fits with ours. She's going to be a solid player,...Guud get coaches. Guud get.

I see what you did there...G...I agree, I also really like this signing.  Super high motor, makes things happen and fundamentally sound.  Highland Park is also one of the top schools in the DFW area, not to mention having tons of resources at their disposal.

Some well known world class athletes that are formers "Scots", Clayton Kershaw (3X Cy Young), Scottie Sheffler #1 in World in golf, Matthew Stafford, Super Bowl Champion, Doak Walker, Bobby Layne, etc...no pressure, lol

I'm also happy to hear about any signings of players over 6'.  We need to replenish our front court.  

From a personal perspective, maybe this will get the coaches to schedule a game here in the DFW area so her family can see her play in her hometown?  SMU is just up the street from Highland Park???  The men play there Nov 15th.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2022 8:36 pm
redrum reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @lobo2x53

We have 11 who may return plus two commits for 2023-24.

6'-6'1:  (5)  Hulda, Brooke, Paula, Hannah, Paris

5'9-5'11:  (4)  Natalia, Kath, Mackenzie, Viane

5'7-5'8:  (4)  Aniyah, Jaelyn, Nia, Gianna

In the 5'7/5'8 category Nia may or may not use her 5th year of eligibility, and the other three are listed as PGs.

That is a different look in uniform size and likely an increase in the physicality on the wings from the starting five of 21-22 and leaves two openings (one if Nia returns with everyone else).  I suspect two more commitment announcements are expected soon.

In that group of 5 at 6' - 6'1", we still don't have any true 5 types.  I really hope we sign at least 2 6'2" - 6'4" true 5 types, that are mobile.  Hanna should be a wing player at the 3, giving us much greater length than we have had in the past.  Paula is also ideally a 3/4 combo type player.  I can easily see a true 5 with Paula and Hanna playing together in the future, as both can be interchangeable 3/4 types.  If Natalie has good handles, she could develop as a 2, giving us more length there as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2022 8:44 pm
redrum
(@redrum)
Famed Member
Posted by: @txlobo95

I like her game. I think it fits with ours. She's going to be a solid player,...Guud get coaches. Guud get.

I see what you did there...G...I agree, I also really like this signing.  Super high motor, makes things happen and fundamentally sound.  Highland Park is also one of the top schools in the DFW area, not to mention having tons of resources at their disposal.

Some well known world class athletes that are formers "Scots", Clayton Kershaw (3X Cy Young), Scottie Sheffler #1 in World in golf, Matthew Stafford, Super Bowl Champion, Doak Walker, Bobby Layne, etc...no pressure, lol

I'm also happy to hear about any signings of players over 6'.  We need to replenish our front court.  

From a personal perspective, maybe this will get the coaches to schedule a game here in the DFW area so her family can see her play in her hometown?  SMU is just up the street from Highland Park???  The men play there Nov 15th.

I miss Garish Wolf. You never knew what you were going to get, but you always got heart.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2022 8:50 pm
Lobodawg92 and txlobo95 reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

I tend to agree with both of you--I would like a grad transfer kind of PG, and an experienced true post.  I don't know that we need two, but a second would be nice--just hard to find.  Those two would likely not happen until May/June.  But that would be a nice complement in experience.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2022 9:00 pm
redrum and String Music reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

Would love to get one more post, preferably a true center. Other than 6-4 Aiyana Mitchell, I'm not aware of any more scholarship offers on the table. (Of course, there could be more.) Aiyana has so many offers, even from some P5 schools, that it would seem like a long-shot now. And Achol (visiting TTU this weekend) and Mary Carter (a 4-star post followed by Nike and lots of MWC coaches and big-name P5 coaches) would seem to be out of reach.

Philosophically, if you can't get the posts you recruited that are highly sought after, do you lower your standards or look to the transfer portal and international recruiting services?

Recently, (except for Fertig) the best centers in the MWC have come via the transfer route (Rooks, Murphy, Whitehead, McGwire, Nike, Powell).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 5, 2022 4:25 pm
redrum reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

Fertig was a special case, having grown up a WYO fan and apparently wanting to play there for years.  Unless we find a player with previous connections to UNM I suspect it will be hard to recruit one as a FR.

I do not see this coaching staff dropping the requirement for athleticism--either already present or they think is there with better health/conditioning (Erica/Neveah).  So one we will get is likely to be a project in that sense.

I think the transfer route is the more likely.  Looking at either a grad transfer, JUCO, or one who has been recruited over, or a coaching change at their school.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2022 4:51 pm
LoboMurv
(@lobomarv46)
Reputable Member

The Lobos already have a PG that is ready to take the reins in JaeBates.  She's going to surprise people this upcoming season and you all will say we don't need a PG transfer after all.   Take my word.  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2022 6:37 am
UNMerciful_1 reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

Marv, I hope you are right.  Jae & Aniyah both have potential at PG, and how they develop this season will probably decide whether one is recruited this spring.  I would like to see either one (or both) step up and make a strong claim to take the starting spot when Tora leaves.  If they both do well, I also think the two of them might make a very fast backcourt if paired together at times.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2022 9:29 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @lobo2x53 (Posted Sept 2nd)

I suspect two more commitment announcements are expected soon. 

Any updated prognostications on these 2?  I can't find the thread where you mentioned a couple of recruits that came out for one of the football games?  Did they come?  How did it go?  Any 6'2"+ gals in that group?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2022 6:31 am
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

Any updates?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2022 12:06 pm
redrum
(@redrum)
Famed Member

THere's been a few pics and such on the women's bb facebook and insta, but nothing public about recruits. I've heard nothing new...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2022 2:16 pm
LoboMurv
(@lobomarv46)
Reputable Member

@lobo2x53 https://www.krqe.com/fox-new-mexico/sports-desk-lobos-learning-how-to-win/

go to the 2:00 mark.  Jae Bates is a potential starter at PG.   What did i tell you?!?   She's money $$$

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 5, 2022 9:52 am
redrum
(@redrum)
Famed Member

@duncan46 I didn't read at all that she'll start, but that she's playing out of position there because we're thin. Tora will be the starter unless she's hurt. I'm kinda getting the vibe that might mean Augman will be the first off the bench or starting at the wing. Either way, Jae will play. She's out of position at the point... THis is all a gut feeling, but i have a big gut 🤪 🤪 🤪 🤪 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 5, 2022 10:11 am
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

@duncan46 I didn't read at all that she'll start, but that she's playing out of position there because we're thin....Either way, Jae will play. She's out of position at the point... 

Agreed, I didn't read in that she will be a starter at the PG either this year.  I had always thought she is the future starting pg and/or rotates with Augmon, so not sure how she is "out of position there"?  At 5'6", she is a bit too small for the 2 guard and definitely for the 3 guard, although, Bradbury ran out 3 5'6" players the last 3 years at the 1-3, so there's that.  IMO, a big part of that was taking both Duff twins which other schools would not do, given their size.  That has allowed us a higher offensive skill level, but has put us at a slight disadvantage defensively. 

Next year, both move on to bigger and better things in store for them and it's a chance for our team to get bigger across the guard positions.

BTW, I don't recall a PG under Bradbury yet, that has not been given the green light offensively?  With that said, even at the pg, Bates will put up plenty of shots.  I also hope she can distribute just as much, so we have a balanced offensive attack. 

I'm really hoping at 5'10", that Natalia will be able to play at the 2, giving us a lot more size in the backcourt next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 5, 2022 12:12 pm
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

The most important aspects of a backup PG are 1) limit turnovers, 2) defend, 3) run the offense, and 4) score. Defensive rebounding is a bonus. 

Aniyah can defend and rebound. But her greatest strength IMO is crashing the offensive glass and then finding a wide open 3-point shooter. That isn't likely to happen if she is playing PG. 

So, out of necessity Jaelyn is the prime backup candidate if she can limit her turnovers and defend. If she struggles to adjust to her new position, then Tora will likely be playing 35+ minutes per game, which leads to late-game fatigue and the associated breakdowns.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 5, 2022 2:24 pm
Lobo2x53, redrum and nmsutoo reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

Paris Lauro ranked #24 in Texas (just below two UNLV recruits)

https://www.premierbasketballreport.com/2023

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 20, 2022 6:59 pm
txlobo95 reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @string-music

Paris Lauro ranked #24 in Texas (just below two UNLV recruits)

https://www.premierbasketballreport.com/2023

There is also a Texas recruit rated a few slots below Paris FWIW.  Not sure how rankings are done?  Is it potential in college or simply current production and performance on the court in HS?  For me, having the high motor and ability to always stay active on the glass, cutting, rebounding, etc are all signs that player will also thrive at the college game.  IMO, the college ceiling is more important, but clearly, they have to show they can dominate/thrive at the HS level first.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2022 9:15 am