Illustrious Member

https://www.abqjournal.com/2552007/violence-prompts-berry-to-depart.html

🙁

Topic starter Posted : November 22, 2022 4:14 am
Remus Lupin reacted
redrum
(@redrum)
Famed Member

Sorry to see her go. That young lady will do well playing wherever she goes. Can't blame her, and don't want to politicize much, but gun crimes need to have faster track to court and longer sentences. We also need as a nation to keep guns out of the hand of our youth. I wish I had an answer for that. Anyway, good luck to Brook wherever she winds up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 6:57 am
beedot45, Lobo2x53, howler and 4 people reacted
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Illustrious Member

@redrum 

I agree but my definition of youth is anyone under the age of 50. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 7:08 am
nexrad
(@nexrad)
Noble Member

More unintended consequences of a random fight in the stands at the most recent Lobo - Aggie Football game.  Brooke made the right decision for her mental and physical well being and for her family as well. Good luck Brooke.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 7:09 am
beedot45, Lobo2x53, howler and 4 people reacted
LoboBear
(@lobobear)
Famed Member

Very disappointed and saddened to read this. There's obviously issues of violence in and around UNM's campus that need to be addressed. I know violence seems to be worsening everywhere it seems, but stories like this are not a good look for us.😞

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 8:47 am
Lobodawg92, Lobo2x53, redrum and 1 people reacted
(@87107)
Estimable Member

It is a sad commentary on New Mexico's flagship university that any student in a university housing facility is subjected to gun violence.  Note, Miss Berry's and her parents' communication is the first anyone hears about recent gun violence at Lobo Village.  Ms. Stokes, Mr. Nunez and the Regents should be ashamed--this is and should be a zero tolerance matter. Our students should be and feel safe in their housing and on campus. On a less important note--this is yet another black eye to UNM's recruiting reputation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 8:58 am
beedot45, nexrad, Lobodawg92 and 2 people reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

Frosh year is tough enough just learning how to adjust to D1 basketball as well as the academic adjustment to college.  Throw in the safety issue and I can easily see how that would be overwhelming.  UNM needs to do something to allow students and athletes to feel safer as part of the community.

I really hope the UNM admin takes this as a "Strong Signal" to clean up the campus and get more security on site so students can feel safe again.

I don't ever remember feeling "unsafe" during my days there, but times have definitely changed.

Best of luck to Brooke and whichever school she ends up up.  She seemed like a great kid.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 9:16 am
beedot45, nexrad, Lobo2x53 and 3 people reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

@87107 

Maybe I am misinterpreting your comment, but how is this a black eye to UNM's recruiting?  Unless something new has come out I thought none of the people involved were UNM recruits in any sport.

If you mean it will make it more difficult to recruit to UNM, I agree.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 4:28 pm
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Illustrious Member

just sad all the way around.  this transition in life from a "kid" to an adult has enough challenges that this stuff is beyond the pale, imo. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 4:40 pm
beedot45, nexrad, String Music and 2 people reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

I have to confess that I don't always feel bad when players decide to leave UNM as long as it is their decision. But this is one of the saddest I can remember because of the circumstances and genuine fear that was felt. I am glad that Brooke will get to finish her classes online and still has four years of eligibility left. I wish her a healthy recovery and hope she finds a good landing spot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 5:33 pm
redrum, beedot45, Lobodawg92 and 3 people reacted
loboss
(@loboss)
Noble Member

The black eye is that to go to UNM is akin to living in a ghetto where some students settle scores with bats and guns.  Last week with a rival bb player, tomorrow a scorned boyfriend seeking revenge.  If Brooke in her dorm is regularly hearing gunshots outside her room, it's time to go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2022 6:24 pm
Lobodawg92 reacted
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure but I thought UNM's athletes were housed near the Pit on the South Campus.  I haven't heard of anything happening in that area.  Many of the Universities in the US have the same problems in big cities.  The problems of every big city in the US is crime with little or no consequences until they reach the point of murder or rape if they are even caught then.  A lot of convicted murders are released from prison after serving less than 10 years.  How do you get criminals having rap sheets of 20,30 and erven higher arrest records walking the streets free to continue in their chosen careers.  Brook was raised in a completely different environment, the same as many New Mexicans in the many small towns in our state.  The people raised in the big cities know that the chances of getting involved is such things are extremely rare and are usually tied to the kind of people you hang out with.  It isn't a University problem it's a individual problem.  How can a University weed out the bad or irresponsible students in a population of 20 some thousand individuals?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 11:56 am
(@87107)
Estimable Member

@nmsutooLobo Village is the  UNM housing adjacent to the athletic complex where many student-athletes are housed.  It has a history of the kinds of behavior that frightened Brooke Berry, recent incidences of which it would appear, but for the Berry family revelations, UNM has managed to keep out of the public eye. The university is responsible for the facility. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 12:39 pm
Lobodawg92 reacted
LoboBear
(@lobobear)
Famed Member
Posted by: @87107

The university is responsible for the facility. 

I guess I thought that Lobo Village was its own thing owned by an out of state company? I guess I wonder how much responsibility UNM actually has in monitoring this premises? Trust me, I am NOT trying to downplay any of the situations that have happened at this place but I just question UNM's jurisdiction over this place?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 1:01 pm
Lobodawg92 reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @lobobear
Posted by: @87107

The university is responsible for the facility. 

I guess I thought that Lobo Village was its own thing owned by an out of state company? I guess I wonder how much responsibility UNM actually has in monitoring this premises? 

I think you are correct, or at least it was my understanding prior to it being built.  Unm owns the land and has a land lease with the owner/operator of the housing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 7:30 pm
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

Do we even know if gunshots are coming from within Lobo Village or from the surrounding neighborhoods or I-25?

Aside from this latest incident, the main campus has a long record of being one of the safest places in Albuquerque -- well lit, video surveillance, campus police, and RAs. 

Whether UNM owns Lobo Village or not, they need to investigate its safety record. And if it doesn't measure up, the athletic department would be wise to house at least their freshmen on campus.

After that it is up to individuals to use common sense safety precautions to avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time (especially after midnight).

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 9:01 pm
LoboMurv
(@lobomarv46)
Reputable Member

Im sure the lack of okaying time was also a factor in her decision.  This is just one reason.   There ciuld be others on their way out too.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 9:35 pm
Lobodawg92
(@lobodawg92)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @duncan46

Im sure the lack of okaying time was also a factor in her decision.  This is just one reason.   There ciuld be others on their way out too.  

I'm sorry, but you nor I know this,  and the timing was right after the incident. I think she was honest when she said she wanted to stay.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 26, 2022 2:15 am
ChairESilver
(@ChairESilver)
Famed Member

All the newer dorms are owned by the Uni but privately operated. Even the one on main campus

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2022 7:18 am
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

Today's Journal editorial provides more info about the shootings at Lobo Village on consecutive weekends in June that led to residents fearing for their safety and ultimately to Brooke leaving. No matter where you point the finger, UNM has a problem that can't be ignored.

https://www.abqjournal.com/2553108/unm-safety.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2022 4:31 pm
Lobo2x53, Lobodawg92, txlobo95 and 1 people reacted