Forum

Symone Denham leavi...

Notifications
Clear all

Symone Denham leaving for Bradley U.

String Music
(@string-music)
Pack Leader

Not unusual for assistant coaches to move around and get experience from multiple coaches. Good luck to her.

https://twitter.com/BradleyWBB/status/1540002753430188033/photo/1

Topic starter Posted : June 23, 2022 3:53 pm
abqpianist, redrum, Lobo2x53 and 1 people liked
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

Symone played for Mike, Coached for him at WSU.  Yes, she needs some broadening of mentors going forward.  As always I hate to see good people leave, but it's probably a good thing for her.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 5:21 pm
klwjrw, Primordial, abqpianist and 2 people liked
LDLBFN26
(@ldlbfn26)
Lobo

Well, too late to hire Elena as she just went back to Texas; kinda have a feeling he might not anyway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 5:32 pm
String Music
(@string-music)
Pack Leader

I'll be surprised if Mike doesn't promote from within just like last time with the July evaluation period just around the corner.

This is a pretty critical recruiting year in my mind (Aren't they all?) with four seniors leaving at the end of the year and no clear replacement for LaTora and Shai. The point guard and center positions are wide open for a high-level recruit to step into the starting lineup from day 1. It's a golden opportunity that doesn't exist at a lot of other schools, which should be a primary selling point.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 23, 2022 8:21 pm
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Pack Leader

I think Nike would make a great recruiter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 8:28 pm
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

I think she will.  Eventually.  I do not know if her time is quite yet.

It would not surprise me if Mike promoted her, but it would not surprise me if he didn't.  One consideration might be how much $$$ he is told he has for the staff salaries.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2022 9:21 pm
Walkon
(@walkon)
Lobo Lobo level

The best prospect for the open asst coach/ recruiter position would be Derek Griffin, the Hardwood Elite club coach from the Denver area. In addition to his own team, he knows the best players on the Adidas club circuit nation wide. He would be Bill Ferrara reincarnated. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2022 5:44 am
Grit, Primordial, abqpianist and 2 people liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Alpha Lobo Lobo level
Posted by: @string-music

Not unusual for assistant coaches to move around and get experience from multiple coaches. Good luck to her.

I would think this is actually a pretty big promotion, right?  She is now the recruiting coordinator for them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2022 9:01 am
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin
Posted by: @txlobo95
Posted by: @string-music

I would think this is actually a pretty big promotion, right?  She is now the recruiting coordinator for them.

I imagine what that actually means.  I am not sure there is a standard definition.  But I suspect whatever the definition she will do well.  I pretty impressive lady to sit and talk with.  I expect she will do well as a head coach in due time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2022 10:04 am
klwjrw liked
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Pack Leader

I thought it might be coach Freeman who gets the job.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2022 10:18 am
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Pack Leader
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Alpha Lobo Lobo level
Posted by: @ldlbfn26

Well, too late to hire Elena as she just went back to Texas; kinda have a feeling he might not anyway.

Elena is now the Associate HC under Vic.  The assistant coaches salaries last year were from 170k - 300k for the AHC.  Not sure if Elena will make the full 300k, but the only way she comes back to UNM is when Bradbury pursues other opportunities and she is the HC here.  She would be my first choice, as we will need a coach with local ties, like we had with Flan.  She believes in playing tall and physical post players to dominate the paint and can successfully recruit those players.  That also helps in post season tournaments as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2022 1:55 pm
Grit liked
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

Lobo women's hoops staff underdgoes several changes - Albuquerque Journal (abqjournal.com)

Kabrina moving to Memphis under her sister is not a shock, and neither is Ryan--he needs to see more different situations at this stage of his career.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2022 9:19 pm
String Music
(@string-music)
Pack Leader

FWIW, the online article says it was written by Randy Harrison, but the same article in this morning's paper said it was by Ken Sickenger. Usually, KS is the one who shows up to practice and covers the wbb team.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 24, 2022 9:20 pm
nmsutoo and Lobo2x53 liked
Share: