Notifications
Clear all

MWC 2022 Transfers

Page 1 / 4
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

So it begins

Fresno State out, Charisse Fairley 5'11" senior.  Jessica Peterson 6'2" freshman. (Had a fairly good Freshman year)

Topic starter Posted : March 11, 2022 9:50 am
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

SJST out, Stephanie Torres 5'6" PT guard.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 11, 2022 10:23 am
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

FYI, LDLBFN mentioned the Cavinder twins took down all references to FSU on their twitter, insta, etc  Perhaps they are jumping ship as well?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 11, 2022 12:11 pm
zygote
(@zygote)
Famed Member

Having two sets of twins would be pretty cool.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 11, 2022 12:14 pm
hunterig, hunterig, hunterig and 1 people reacted
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @txlobo95

FYI, LDLBFN mentioned the Cavinder twins took down all references to FSU on their twitter, insta, etc  Perhaps they are jumping ship as well?

That seems the prevailing thought on FS's WBB message board.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 11, 2022 1:11 pm
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @zygote

After the mess at FS I don't think I like to see them here.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 11, 2022 1:14 pm
stephanie, stephanie, stephanie and 1 people reacted
Lobodawg92
(@lobodawg92)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @nmsutoo

???

I have not followed other teams at all.  What mess do you speak of?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 11, 2022 1:30 pm
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @lobodawg92

???

I have not followed other teams at all.  What mess do you speak of?

Like last year all the best players other than the twins transferred out, they wouldn't even play in the WNIT tournament at the end of the year.  And this year's performance was way off their usual and their best or maybe considered 2nd best freshman is already on the transfer portal.  They've been talking about it on their WBB message board for over a year now.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 11, 2022 1:56 pm
Lobodawg92, Lobodawg92, Lobodawg92 and 1 people reacted
LDLBFN26
(@ldlbfn26)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @txlobo95

That seems the prevailing thought on FS's WBB message board.

That's where I saw.  Did not bother to look at their twitter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 11, 2022 6:31 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

A name from the past that LDLBFN brought to may attention, a former UNM recruiting target from a few years back has put her name in the portal and is the prototypical Bradbury post player, 6'2", mobile and athletic, Jordyn Jenkins originally from the state of Washington that played for USC the past 2 years.  Her covid season, she was injured and only started playing in Jan 2021, but put up 6.3 ppg and 4.2 rpg.  This year, her number dramatically increased to 14.7 ppg and 6.7 rpg.

If Bradbury wants to get our program to the NCAA Tourney, this is the type of transfer we need to go hard after.

https://usctrojans.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jordyn-jenkins/12044

https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-transfers-d-i-2021-22/10/    (is on page 10 as of today)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2022 4:33 pm
stephanie, Primordial, zygote and 13 people reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

BTW, how did NMSU get a 6'3" transfer post player from OK St that averaged 12.7 ppg and 8.7 rpg this year at NMSU?  Imagine if she was our 3rd legit post player in the rotation and maybe even the starting 5?

https://nmstatesports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/bigue-sarr/8430

In our game down in Las Cruces, she "ONLY" put up 28 points and had a whopping 12 rebounds.  Would have been nice if Bradbury had recruited her first and got her to ABQ!!! 🙄 

https://nmstatesports.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021-22/new-mexico/boxscore/14514

BTW, in the rematch at the PIT, she put up "ONLY" 21 points on 9-13 shooting and 11 rebounds.  Now wonder our games were much closer this year than they have been in the past several years. 🙄 

So we get out-recruited by a NMSU coach that is getting fired???  That 6'3" transfer from OK St of the Big 12 averaged 24.5 points and 11.5 rebounds against us.  Sure wish we had her in the MWCT!!! 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2022 4:43 pm
Primordial, Primordial, Primordial and 1 people reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

Lots of words all over the place since the end of last season that there were the twins, and then there were the minions.  When you have a former conference POY (Utti) leave because she felt she had become a second class citizen, that is not good chemistry.

It must be pretty bad if--as it seems--there was mass bail out because of preferential treatment to the twins, and then tbey bail as well.  Cannot speak optimistically for the longevity of the coach there.

As to the NMSU transfer, we know she transferred to NMSU.  But do we know that UNM didn't recruit her?  Mike is usually very tight about who they are recruiting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2022 5:18 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @lobo2x53

As to the NMSU transfer, we know she transferred to NMSU.  But do we know that UNM didn't recruit her?  Mike is usually very tight about who they are recruiting. 

Let's put is this way, if Bradbury was "NOT" recruiting her, then he wasn't doing his job.  Clearly, we had a strong need to bring in an experienced post player after the departures of both Autumn and Azaria.  This gal would have been the perfect fit for our situation, a true 5 type at 6'3" that put up huge #'s at NMSU.

Add her to our line-up and we likely win the MWCT or at least would have had the best chance to win since the Jaisa/Nike year.  6'1" Murphy would not have abused us in our semifinal game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2022 5:22 pm
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

Skill on the court is one very big part of it.  I agree, that is exactly the kind of player who would have fit in very well.  I would hope he did go after her, if....

But so is chemistry--would Mike welcome Jala back even though she is a talented player?  Have the Cavinders helped Fresno if the comments earlier in this thread are accurate?  And academics.

I am not saying there were any personality/chemistry/grade issues, I am just saying they are all pieces of the decision to recruit or not.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2022 6:25 pm
Primordial, txlobo95, redrum and 9 people reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @lobo2x53

Skill on the court is one very big part of it.  I agree, that is exactly the kind of player who would have fit in very well.  I would hope he did go after her, if....

But so is chemistry--would Mike welcome Jala back even though she is a talented player?  Have the Cavinders helped Fresno if the comments earlier in this thread are accurate?  And academics.

I am not saying there were any personality/chemistry/grade issues, I am just saying they are all pieces of the decision to recruit or not.

Clearly, he would not bring Jayla back, that shipped has sailed and no need to bring in a chemistry issue player with 1 year left when we have a plethora of young up and coming guards that I hope will play together for several years in a row.

The gal at NMSU was on the team the entire year and didn't seem to have any issues, however, none of us even know what issues are going on in our own locker room?  Clearly, the way we came out flat in both games in the MWCT, there is something going on there or so it would appear?

For this year's team a grad transfer type putting up 13/9 would have been the perfect fit.  However, for next year's team, I would hope we can target younger post transfer types that are either current sophs or Jrs with 2+ years of eligibility left, like the 6'2" gal leaving USC that we recruited out of HS that put up 15/7.  She would still have 3 years of eligibility left and since it would be her 1st transfer, would be eligible immediately.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2022 6:41 pm
zygote, zygote, zygote and 1 people reacted
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

Nevada has 4 transferring now.  Bethany Carsten 5'9" Jr, Alexis Elquist 6' Soph, Andrea Jovicivic 5' 10" soph, Eliska Stebetakova 6'2" Senior.  Not a surprise to see some so early, Nevada had about 18 or 19 kids on the roster this year.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 14, 2022 2:11 pm
String Music, String Music, String Music and 1 people reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

It's official. The Cavinders are in the portal. Also Randhawa (6-2 grad wing) from Utah State and 6-2 Flo Vinerte (SDSU).

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2022 9:07 pm
nmsutoo, abqpianist, Lobo2x53 and 13 people reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin
Posted by: @string-music

It's official. The Cavinders are in the portal. Also Randhawa (6-2 grad wing) from Utah State and 6-2 Flo Vinerte (SDSU).

Really have to wonder about the mood at FSU right now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2022 10:10 pm
nmsutoo, abqpianist, nmsutoo and 5 people reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

Utah State's best player, Quezada, is in the portal. Tough break for them after a year of improvement. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 18, 2022 9:18 pm
nmsutoo, Lobo2x53, nmsutoo and 5 people reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

Does no one want to live in Logan? No matter who the coach is, Utah State cannot keep players there for four years. Emmie Harris was the exception.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2022 7:41 am
nmsutoo, nmsutoo, nmsutoo and 1 people reacted
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

7 players From UtSt now in the portal including some of their best players, Randhawa, Quezada, Mendazona.  Tough to get a winning team with the turnover the last few years.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 22, 2022 7:26 pm
String Music, txlobo95, String Music and 5 people reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

6-3 Kamaria Gipson (SDSU) - lost her starting job and PT to Villalobos and Pepe late in the season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2022 10:38 am
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

San Diego state has two in the portal now Kameria Gipson 6'3" soph, got a lot of playing time this year from Texas might be home sick.  Flera Vinerte 6'2" soph from Latvia.  She played 224 minutes as a freshman 10 minutes a game 2.8 reb, 3.1 points/g.  Didnt play but 81 minutes in 13 games as a soph.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 24, 2022 11:59 am
Lobo2x53, Lobo2x53, Lobo2x53 and 1 people reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

New Mexico is just next door to Texas!  🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2022 2:51 pm
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

I am curious as to how the new transfer rule is going to be implemented this year. The transfer portal is pretty specific about who has already transferred. I know grad transfers and first-time transfers can play without sitting out a redshirt year. But Quezada of Utah State has already transferred once as has Corina Carter. Will the NCAA be more lenient on waivers, especially for players that didn't play this year (Corina)?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2022 3:33 pm
txlobo95, nmsutoo, txlobo95 and 5 people reacted
String Music
(@string-music)
Illustrious Member

Brooke Walling, who transferred last year from Fresno is playing tonight in the D2 Championship game with Western Washington. She leads her team in rebounds and is second in scoring. At 6-3, she had a lot of promise to be a good mid-major center. But apparently, wanted to play closer to home. Utti, Gamez, and Kinzer were also pretty successful in their new locations. Fresno State is pretty much starting over next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2022 2:01 pm
Lobo2x53, nmsutoo, Lobo2x53 and 5 people reacted
LDLBFN26
(@ldlbfn26)
Prominent Member

San Diego St picks up another big guard, one I remember reading about a few years ago, with her brother at the time I think being a fairly highly rated recruit:

https://goredfoxes.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/sarah-barcello/13536

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/226090

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2022 3:08 pm
nmsutoo, String Music, txlobo95 and 9 people reacted
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

Colo St picks up Meghan Boyd 5'11" jr from Denver.  Colo St transfer recruiting has been pretty successful the last few years.

SDSU Isabela Hernandez 6'2" jr entered the Portal.  She had some good games and some not so good.  She was one of SDSU's 3 point shooters.

Utah St 2 more leaving bringing it up to 9.  Shyla Latone 5'4" JR point guard 3 point shooter and E'Lease Stafford 6' Senior wing another one of their better players.  UtSt also bringing in 2 from the portal.  Maria Carvalho 5'8" Jr guard from Portugal played at Utah Valley and Mayson Kimbell 5'11" forward grad trans from Merrimack.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 31, 2022 9:42 am
String Music, Lobo2x53, String Music and 5 people reacted
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Illustrious Member Admin

It seems USU (and SJS & FSU) are truly losing them in groups--even players who were getting PT and had feature roles.

What is "normal" now?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2022 10:09 am
nmsutoo
(@nmsutoo)
Illustrious Member

I've been watch SJST's transfer portal and since only 1 has entered so far figure they are waiting to see who the new coach will be.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 31, 2022 10:27 am
Lobo2x53, String Music, Lobo2x53 and 5 people reacted
Page 1 / 4