Notifications
Clear all

Brayten Silbor decommits

NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Lobo Registered, Lobo level

Bad news..

https://twitter.com/BraytenSilbor?t=7f3joeEfhBWf-lJkuKdktw&s=09

I would like to thank @DrewMehringer and @JordanSom_UNM and the rest of the coaching staff at UNM for their belief in me, but after talking it over I have decided to decommit from the program due to changes in the offense. My recruitment is 100% open.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-Football-Recruiting-2022-class-QB-Brayten-Silbor-decommits-New-Mexico-Cal-ASU-173947282/

This topic was modified 1 month ago 3 times by NightWolf
Topic starter Posted : October 26, 2021 8:42 pm
Scott and Lobodawg92 liked
ILLobo
(@illobo)
Pup

1 game with out 20+ passes, and he decommits.  That is not a change in Offense.  That is an adjustment, to talent at hand.

GO LOBOS!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 7:04 am
Mr. Banana
(@mr-banana)
Pup

Let me translate: I received PAC 12 offers so thanks but no thanks. A tale as old as time. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 8:11 am
Scott, motaglos and Walkon liked
ILLobo
(@illobo)
Pup

I understand, just saying excuse weak.  Now watch his 97th ranking move up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 8:22 am
Scott and motaglos liked
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

I agree that it is probably just a temporary change to the offense to adjust to our poor pass-blocking line.

However, if we were to make the change to the triple option, 1970's wishbone, style I can assure you that it will do great damage to the recruitment of not just QB's but also wide receivers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 11:17 am
JulieG and hunterig liked
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo

That’s ok. Lets just whip his ass if we ever meet up with whomever he signs with.. Go Lobos!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 3:08 pm
Servehim, Leviblu, Scott and 1 people liked
wasatchfrontlobo
(@wasatchfrontlobo)
Pup

Change in the offense my ass... How many times did Coach G say "you cant win a conference title with 3 passes a game." 

Some coach from the P5 is blowing smoke up someones ass!

GO LOBOS!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 6:35 pm
GoN4it, Scott, UNM Class of1972 and 1 people liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader Customer, Registered, Lobo level
Posted by: @unm-class-of-1972

I agree that it is probably just a temporary change to the offense to adjust to our poor pass-blocking line.

However, if we were to make the change to the triple option, 1970's wishbone, style I can assure you that it will do great damage to the recruitment of not just QB's but also wide receivers.

If it were 1970wishbone, I agree about WRs but not so much QBs - they would just be a very different kind of QB than many others would be after. Notwithstanding, these points I think Coach G  has made clear we will not become a team that only throws the ball a very few times so a fairly irrelevant discussion. A scheme can include lots of option without eliminating the pass as a major component of the O. Let’s let this play out and see what evolves - should be interesting and fun to observe. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 6:37 pm
JulieG, abqpianist, UNM Class of1972 and 1 people liked
BobOso
(@boboso)
Lobo

I want my QB to be the "whatever it takes to help my team win" guy. 

🖐️

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 9:51 am
Leviblu, abqpianist, GoN4it and 1 people liked
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Lobo Registered

I dont thinkchange in offense is the reason he decommitted. He got P5 offers that he did not get before. He is looking for the best opportunity for himself to compete at the highest level and P5 schools is the tickey.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 1:50 pm
Bullchuter
(@bullchuter)
Pack Leader

I don't see Brayton's decommitment  as Too big of a thing.  We have a stable of good QB's. And to be honest we did recruit the best QB out of Arizona last year (Bear Milacek) out of Anthem, AZ.   If DG and staff continue to recruit players who want to win here, we will be Okay.  GO LOBOS.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 5:05 pm
motaglos liked
ILLobo
(@illobo)
Pup

Speaking of Bear, where has he disappeared too?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 5:59 pm
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo
Posted by: @lobomaniac2018

I dont thinkchange in offense is the reason he decommitted. He got P5 offers that he did not get before. He is looking for the best opportunity for himself to compete at the highest level and P5 schools is the tickey.

Disagree... Didn't seem to be an issue for Josh Allen... or Brian Urlacher. If you're good enough, playing for a P5 doesn't matter. There are tons of NFL players that never played for a P5 school. The kid just thinks he can get a better offer somewhere else. If Any recruiter out there thought he was a P5 talent, he would have signed with them and never committed to UNM. If he was smart, he would have waited until he got a better offer, before decommitting. 

We hear it all the time that kids leave a school because they were offered from another school, and P5's stealing commits from G5 schools happens all the time. This kid doesn't have another offer, otherwise he would NOT have said he's reopening... he's fishing around.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 9:20 am
HighDesertPedro
(@highdesertpedro)
Pup
Posted by: @gon4it

If you're good enough, playing for a P5 doesn't matter.

Except it does.  Considerable amount of national TV exposure.  Better players on P5 teams to help succeed to next level.  Excellent facilities.  Countless connections.  A better overall collegiate experience playing in front of a large fanbase and students.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 1:58 pm
Leviblu
(@leviblu)
Pup

@highdesertpedro Funny thing is that isn't always the reality. Wentz. Field's. Etc

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 2:11 pm
HighDesertPedro
(@highdesertpedro)
Pup

@leviblu 

LOL of course not always.  But the vast majority of the time.  No one should blame a kid who wants to surround himself with the advantages of a P5 program.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 2:17 pm
Leviblu liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Posted by: @highdesertpedro
Posted by: @gon4it

If you're good enough, playing for a P5 doesn't matter.

Except it does.  Considerable amount of national TV exposure.  Better players on P5 teams to help succeed to next level.  Excellent facilities.  Countless connections.  A better overall collegiate experience playing in front of a large fanbase and students.  

Too an extent yes but a "better" experience, maybe or maybe a kid gets buried by the numbers and don't forget it may not fit his non-football related desired college experience.  There are lots of variables and the exposure/press I doubt is a huge issue for NFL scouts but I agree being able to see a kid play with and against the better other athletes is a definite advantage.  I do agree if you are a real talent the NFL scouts will for the most part know who your are and will find you but I also agree that P5 athletes have advantages.       

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 3:40 pm
hunterig
(@hunterig)
Lobo

@bullchuter Where has this stable of good QB's been all year?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 5:45 pm
NMFANINOKC
(@nmfaninokc)

“Well,,,,,,,,, Bye”

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 7:26 pm
GoN4it and Servehim liked
Bullchuter
(@bullchuter)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @hunterig

Here is the list o QB's on Lobo Roster:

Tony Collier

Terry Wilson

Isiah Chavez

Brandt Hughes

Connor Genal

CJ Montes

ONE Other Who has Moved to WR,  Tray ?

All of these have had success at either HS or Jr college.  I believe 3 of these are FR.  It takes time to develop to being starters. I do trust DG to do just that!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 31, 2021 3:23 am
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Posted by: @bullchuter

Tony Collier

Terry Wilson

Isiah Chavez

Brandt Hughes

Connor Genal

CJ Montes

All of these have had success at either HS or Jr college.  I believe 3 of these are FR.  It takes time to develop to being starters. I do trust DG to do just that!

Unless there have been changes, Collier is a CB. Need to add Bear Mikacek (redshirting, I suspect) and the former QB who is now a receiver i think you are referencing is Trey Hall. Agree,  A good cadre but always need to be obtaining quality competitors. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 31, 2021 10:00 am
Bullchuter
(@bullchuter)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @doublealum
Posted by: @bullchuter

Tony Collier

Terry Wilson

Isiah Chavez

Brandt Hughes

Connor Genal

CJ Montes

Unless there have been changes, Collier is a CB. Need to add Bear Mikacek (redshirting, I suspect) and the former QB who is now a receiver i think you are referencing is Trey Hall. Agree,  A good cadre but always need to be obtaining quality competitors. 

Thanks for the Update.  I'm sure Bear will be one to keep an eye out for.  Collier is still being shown on the roster as a QB.  Without question, I would think some of the WR'ers were probably QBs in High School.  

Additionally, I would think DG and staff will recruit 2 more prospective QB's next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 31, 2021 1:42 pm
Lobo Amor
(@lobo-amor)
Lobo

@bullchuter UNM just offered two QBs, both could be labeled as dual-threat QBs. One Dominique Lampkin is a true dual-threat, while Joe Humphreys uses his arm more but can run.

Maybe we are having a change in offensive philosophy and going more to a triple/RPO offense?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2021 2:29 pm
Share: