Forum

Coaches Retained ?

Notifications
Clear all

Coaches Retained ?

Walkon
(@walkon)
Lobo Lobo level

Except for Coach Gonzales (2024)  and Drew Mehringer (2023), the present contracts for all other coaches expire at the end of February 2022. It will be interesting to see how many contracts will be renewed. Some movement can be expected, which is the case just about every year. It is difficult to expect any upward movement, considering the Lobos record this past season.

Topic starter Posted : November 28, 2021 10:55 am
Hoser
(@hoser)
Pack Leader

Not sure about any of the coaches except for Rocky, but the OC needs to either be reassigned or let go, take your pick.  Gonzales needs to find a kick ass recruiter because the Lobos need to kick it up a notch on the skill level of our recruits.  

Find an OC soon please.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Hoser
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 12:12 pm
lobovike
(@lobovike)
Pup

It seems like a lot of hints were being dropped about wanting to implement the Coastal Carolina type of scheme. We should watch for anyone connected to that program being contacted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 12:14 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

Hopefully, Wareheim is gone in short order. If not, Danny is just creating more of a problem for himself.

I don't know how having the worst offense in the country isn't grounds for letting the guy go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 1:42 pm
lobovike
(@lobovike)
Pup

There is a team meeting tomorrow that essentially begins the prep for 2022, maybe we will hear something then. There are definitely pieces moving around everywhere right now around the country in college coaching. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 2:14 pm
DJ 33
(@dj-33)
Lobo

Can't wait to see what happens next few days.  As said above, lots of coaching talent will become available very soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 3:11 pm
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo

Rocky stays, along with most, if not all of his defensive staff. I think special teams coach is somewhat safe. Coaching changes need to be made on the offensive side of the ball. Like to see a change at OC.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 3:43 pm
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo
Posted by: @lobovike

It seems like a lot of hints were being dropped about wanting to implement the Coastal Carolina type of scheme. We should watch for anyone connected to that program being contacted.

CCU runs a 'Spread Triple Option Offense'. Here's a great breakdown and explanation of how their offense works. Must see if we want to run this type of offense here... which means we'll need 2 or 3, dual threat QB's, to run it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEi7MJ0HXbA

Edit: After studying this offense for a little bit, I think we should get back to an RPO spread offense. Middle Tennessee coach explains the RPO... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K2nw1ZFWXE

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 3:47 pm
Mr. Banana
(@mr-banana)
Pup

Ryan Grubb the OC at Fresno might be available here soon, Doug Meacham at TCU is about to be unemployed, Matt Wells is available and a friend of DGs, Bob Debesse is semi retired. Noel Mazzone is out there. Junior Adams up at UW is about to be available. Plenty of options.

Feels like they have to have a connection to DG/Rocky/UNM to get hired though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 4:29 pm
lobo watcher
(@lobo-watcher)
Pup

@lobomike   Hopefully, our coaches figure out how to make a more effective offense next year.  Firing a coach every time things don’t go right leads to continuous turnover and mediocre performance.  Last year was weird; living and playing in Vegas the whole season. It probably hurt recruiting. Next year, our offensive coaches will be smarter, the line will be better, the backs will be better and the receivers smarter. What type of offense will they run?  If a brand new one, then players and coaches will take time to learn, with consequent detriment to scoring right away. There are lots of things to consider.  Adding a new coach to the mix is not an automatic improvement.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 8:09 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Posted by: @lobo-watcher

@lobomike   Hopefully, our coaches figure out how to make a more effective offense next year.  Firing a coach every time things don’t go right leads to continuous turnover and mediocre performance.  Last year was weird; living and playing in Vegas the whole season. It probably hurt recruiting. Next year, our offensive coaches will be smarter, the line will be better, the backs will be better and the receivers smarter. What type of offense will they run?  If a brand new one, then players and coaches will take time to learn, with consequent detriment to scoring right away. There are lots of things to consider.  Adding a new coach to the mix is not an automatic improvement.

True, it's not a given that things automatically get better. Though they can't really get any worse offensively. Hiring someone with some kind of proven track record of calling plays, even if at a lower division, will give you more confidence in their ability to eventually be successful here, however.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 10:27 pm
BobOso
(@boboso)
Lobo

No one is going to like this but when you're down to your last available QB in 2 out of 2 years, that's a talent management problem. I've never seen a team burn through guys like we do, going to any kind of option attack is going to be more bloodbath, better carry 10 QBs on the roster. I don't understand the knee jerk change from throwing 40 times a game to running option with a walkon QB, the "direction" of the offense is on DG. 

There are lots of teams that are able to move the ball and control the clock without running the option. You would think Rocky and Danny had a decent view of SDSU's offense.

Add in that the next man up didn't look like a D1 guy, we probably have a talent evaluation problem too. 

Honestly as much as Danny talked about "sticking to his PLAN",  at the end of the year it looked like we were just throwing $hit at the wall and hoping something would stick. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see much of a plan after the first 2 games. 

Not giving up DG, just think we have bigger problems than who's calling the plays. 

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by BobOso
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 5:29 pm
DJ 33
(@dj-33)
Lobo

@boboso When DG said pre season there was the TW tier and then everyone else, he meant it.  That 1st / 2nd tier has to be filled with competent throwing QBs with mobility.  Can't tell you how many times we faced starting QBs who went out and 2nd QB came in and looked pretty similar talent wise to the starter.  We need that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 6:02 pm
BobOso
(@boboso)
Lobo

No team in the country can expect to compete with their #3 or lower, what DG has to figure out how to keep #1 on the field. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by BobOso
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 8:06 am
Lobo Amor liked
lobovike
(@lobovike)
Pup

Everyone is returning except a change will be made at the strength coach position. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 2:49 pm
RENOLOBO
(@renolobo)

hope dg brings an experienced offensive minded coach as a consultant to help warehime.  last in the nation and he keeps his job.  no wonder we are new mexico 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 3:14 pm
lobovike
(@lobovike)
Pup

@renolobo we have to hope DG is correct in blaming what happened on not having a good enough O Line and not having a QB for much of the year. All my hopes are with Coach Warehime for being able to fix this. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 3:27 pm
Darkside
(@darkside)
Lobo

https://twitter.com/SteveVirgen/status/1465798662592905218

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 3:38 pm
Scott liked
DJ 33
(@dj-33)
Lobo

@darkside Every coach coming back except the strength coach.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 4:14 pm
Mr. Banana
(@mr-banana)
Pup

Today's Presser - Lee Faria asked some good questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K59c4HcrrCo

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 5:12 pm
AbqLobo, Lobo Amor, Lobodawg92 and 1 people liked
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

Bad move by Gonzales. You don't go 3-9 with the worst offense in the country and try to pretend that you have a staff that's on the right track in every area (except strength, I guess).

They need to find a starting QB somehow and still need to build an O-line that's even half decent. No proven playmakers at RB and WR coming back. Closest would be Dumas, IMO. Should be fine at RB with the talent profiles, but WR will be a serious question mark again. No reason to think at this point that UNM won't have one of the worst offenses in the country yet again. Tough to win games that way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 11:12 pm
Hoser
(@hoser)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @lobomike

Bad move by Gonzales. You don't go 3-9 with the worst offense in the country and try to pretend that you have a staff that's on the right track in every area (except strength, I guess).

They need to find a starting QB somehow and still need to build an O-line that's even half decent. No proven playmakers at RB and WR coming back. Closest would be Dumas, IMO. Should be fine at RB with the talent profiles, but WR will be a serious question mark again. No reason to think at this point that UNM won't have one of the worst offenses in the country yet again. Tough to win games that way.

I'm very surprised that he is keeping his entire staff.  OC totally underperformed in his duties this year.  Ultimately, Gonzales will have to live or die with his actions in this area, I hope he is right, but there is a lot of pessimism going on with me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2021 7:21 am
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader Customer, Registered, Lobo level

I know many here wanted to see our OC fired and correctly cited how bad our O was.  While I think the jury is still out on him and others (as it always in this "biz"), I just want to be on record saying that I agree with DG's decision.  Further, I agree that an offense that incorporates an option run game but with the capability to pass both off the option (roll-out) and drop back (mostly off of play-action) is what we need to strive to achieve - it gives us the best possibility to compete against teams that have recruiting advantages. Its not an easy thing to get right but if we can, imo, it gives us the best chance of having an O that compliments our already very competitive D (which is not near yet its potential but already pretty darn good).

I also disagree with those that say that option football is the cause of our QB injuries.  Other teams (even in our league - Air Force) run lots of option and they haven't had the type of QB injuries that we have suffered.  I suspect our over-abundance of QB injuries are a result of poor O-line play, QBs having to think they have to do too much because we are behind and plain old just some bad luck - not the scheme.   Although in the NFL they don't run any/much triple option the league is now full of QBs that incorporate running as part of their game.  Bottom line for me is that while we definitely have to find (could be on our roster now but hasn't yet been able to show it [inexperience] a quality tough QB who can run and pass + have excellent judgement on the option), we desperately need to upgrade significantly our O-line play.

I don't know whether we have the quality O-linemen necessary on the team now but I suspect that some of the real young guys who were mostly red-shirted have shown the athletic ability to become very good (I am wondering out loud if the 2 present O-linemen that have decided to transfer are seeing that handwriting on the wall - maybe, maybe not).  I think these young, inexperienced O-linemen have been recruited for their athleticism not so much size and strength but need significant physical development (weight/strength).  This makes sense to me as athleticism is absolutely necessary to pass-block and if they had both the athleticism and size/strength, we would not have been successful in recruiting them.  Our coaches have identified/evaluated them and we got them with the idea that you can't create the overall athleticism (more something one is born with or not) but you can, through diet and strength training (if they have a decent frame) increase their weight and overall strength as these young men mature physically.  I suspect that the increase in strength and size has not been at a rate that is satisfactory to DG and therefore, the change in our strength coaching position. Bottom line for me is the O-line.  I predict that we will see improvement next year as the young ones get the PT but the real improvement in the O-line play (which imo, means the real improvement in the offense) will not really be what we all want until the year after - physical maturity, PT experience (most important for O-linemen) and the fruits of 3 years of strength training + diet. 

I think what I am opining above is what, if one listens to DG's yesterday presser, I am hearing from him.  I think he is correct and I'm all in.           

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2021 9:43 am
Scott, UNM Class of1972, AbqLobo and 1 people liked
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Lobo Registered, Lobo level
Posted by: @boboso

No team in the country can expect to compete with their #3 or lower, what DG has to figure out how to keep #1 on the field. 

We are the ONLY team in the country,  who's used 4 different quarterbacks the last 3 straight years consecutively. 

Something has got to change. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2021 10:51 am
Lobo Amor and BobOso liked
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo
Posted by: @nightwolf
Posted by: @boboso

We are the ONLY team in the country,  who's used 4 different quarterbacks the last 3 straight years consecutively. 

Something has got to change. 

Um… injuries habe been dictating those changes at QB. The OC’s had to tweak the offense to suit the skills of the ‘next up QB. 
Changing OC’s… ok, but if a QB gets hurts, you can’t blame the OC for that, s**t happens. Good recruiting of linemen that can protect the QB is what we need. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2021 11:11 am
Lobodawg92
(@lobodawg92)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @mr-banana

Today's Presser - Lee Faria asked some good questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K59c4HcrrCo

Thanks for posting that link. It seemed very obvious Danny had heard it about the oc position, and has elected to stay the course. I was hoping for a little different outcome with some shifting, but I'm still on board and hoping for brighter days ahead, although I think we may have one more really tough year before we see a competitive team coming together. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2021 12:42 pm
BobOso
(@boboso)
Lobo
Posted by: @gon4it

Um… injuries habe been dictating those changes at QB. The OC’s had to tweak the offense to suit the skills of the ‘next up QB. 
Changing OC’s… ok, but if a QB gets hurts, you can’t blame the OC for that, s**t happens. Good recruiting of linemen that can protect the QB is what we need. 

Play calling does have something to do with keeping QB's  off the injury list. What do you think would happen to the offensive coaching staff at Tampa Bay if Tom Brady ran an zone read and got a concussion ? 

Last season we were already down to a back up (who's toughness was questioned) and we called several QB runs in a row, I can only guess to see how tough the kid was and guess what, he got hurt. Next guy has some bad luck and we're down to walk on.

When you mix bad luck with stupidity, you can get into trouble real fast. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2021 11:25 am
Lobo Amor liked
Lobo Amor
(@lobo-amor)
Lobo

I agree with Coach G that being able to drop back and pass without having to rely on play action or roll outs to move the ball through the air is going to be crucial to the success of our football team. 

I hope that Coach Warehime can deliver what we need to achieve. Also Coach Lenz needs to step up or step out he does not deserve a free pass at receiving blame. The OL is his baby and his specialty. 

I hope sticking with his old friends on offense is not the downfall for Coach G because our defense is on the verge of greatness.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2021 9:57 pm
Share: