Congradulations, ex...

Notifications
Clear all

Congradulations, excited, missed opportunity  

RSS
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader Customer, Registered, Lobo level

At last night's b-ball game the announcement about how well our football team (as well as other SAs) did in the classroom was a well deserved source of pride for the athletic program and all that root for it.  I'm very glad it was made a point of emphasis and recognized at the game Congradulations !

I was really  impressed with having the football players great incoming fans and handing out the wrist reminders for football - cool move. I was even more gratified to see them in the student section cheering on our b-ball team at the start of the game - looked really impressive and special.

unfortuenly, IMO, after the 1/2 time celebration of the SAs academic achievements, only a couple of the players returned to the student section and continued the cheering - HUGE missed opportunity.  If the football program want (and I'm sure it does) a big student turnout for its games, they need to show/lead it by example and by being a part of the student body for the other sports and at NM no better place for that than a men's b-ball game - disapointing conclusion to what could have been a tremendous beginning of student participation. Too bad.

Posted : February 16, 2020 8:10 am
abqpianist, hunterig, RedSox87122 and 1 people liked
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

I saw more football players there than that after the half.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 10:54 am
Lucero
(@lucero)
Lobo

A huge group showed up to the softball game. There had to be like 20 and this was after the hoops game. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 11:26 am
Doublealum
(@doublealum)

@unm-class-of-1972

Not going to argue about the head count but not many - certainly significantly higher % of b-allers at the football games. Point is that it was a missed opportunity to lead by example and mybe start something very special with the student body. Presently, there is a big gap between the general campus and athletics, especially football (exasperated some by Lobo Village being where most players live) and basketball games is just one highly visible place where maybe some of that disconnect can be repaired. It would have been great to see football keep being in the student section after the half and at all games.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 1:19 pm
Doublealum
(@doublealum)

@lucero

Great to hear! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 1:19 pm
RedSox87122
(@redsox87122)
Pack Leader Lobo level

@Double

A few years back we had the women’s basketball team showing up for football games. I remember one game in that they stayed for the majority of the game, which was somewhat surprising, considering most were in shorts, and temperature was probably in the 40’s. 😀. I had to text one players dad and ask what was up with that? I’m freezing and she’s in short and a light jacket.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 6:06 pm
RedSox87122
(@redsox87122)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @lucero

A huge group showed up to the softball game. There had to be like 20 and this was after the hoops game. 

Girls softball team has been on a roll last few games. Maybe it’s your announcing. Time to get you the announce men’s basketball, we need wins. 😀

This post was modified 8 months ago by RedSox87122
ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 6:10 pm
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

You all are worried about football players not staying for the basketball game while I was worrying about the basketball players not showing up for  the basketball game during the second half.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 8:28 pm
RedSox87122
(@redsox87122)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @unm-class-of-1972

You all are worried about football players not staying for the basketball game while I was worrying about the basketball players not showing up for  the basketball game during the second half.

And, sadly you were right. They departed along with the football players. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2020 12:40 pm
TheLoboMan
(@TheLoboMan)
Lobo

Sincerity is the best form of flattery.  Wished they would have stayed. Made me think they HAD to do it.  

But oh well. They did great in the class room. Wish they could have been honored every year for this. The athletic department is doing great things in the classroom. Hope basketball does ok I'm the classroom too.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2020 11:33 am
Share: