Forum

Expectations for Ne...

Notifications
Clear all

Expectations for Next Season...

unmlobo1
(@unmlobo1)
Pup

Curious what everyone's expectations for next season are. I know it's a marathon not a sprint, but it will be year number three of the Danny Gonzales era.

Is 6-6 and a bowl invite a reasonable expectation?

Topic starter Posted : November 23, 2021 12:02 pm
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Lobo Registered

2 to 3 wins. With unproven QB and probably new OC this spells disaster for what would be an improved but very tired defense who will be spending lots of time on the field.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 2:12 pm
Mr. Banana
(@mr-banana)
Pup

IDK how many listened to the weekly press conference yesterday but Terry is all but gone. Also, the comments about the offense didn't leave me warm and fuzzy - I get that we went triple option this season on a lurch but is that what we're doing long term? IDK

Recap - new QB, (possible) new offense, new O-line (C, RG, RT will all be new), LSU, UTEP, SDSU, and Boise next year.

Let's call it 5 wins and hope/pray for the best

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 3:30 pm
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

Be better than this year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 5:15 pm
Bradpal
(@bradpal)
Lobo Lobo level

Defense showed improvement this year. Offense took multiple steps backwards even with Wilson at QB. Scheme needs to change/maybe O coordinator as well. Option is not the answer. The game now is RPO. Offensive line needs drastic improvement along with a competent QB. Isiah Chavez is a great competitor but he is not the answer. 

I’ll predict 4 wins 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 5:32 pm
LoboBear
(@lobobear)
Pup
Posted by: @bradpal

I’ll predict 4 wins 

I concur.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 6:31 pm
zoom
 zoom
(@zoom)
Pack Leader

the defense will continue to improve...the O-line was young this year and should improve...running backs and receivers are good...the question is QB...not sure the answer is on the current roster...so that's the wildcard...

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 7:43 pm
Lobodawg92
(@lobodawg92)
Pack Leader

I think 4 is a decent guess. I'm hoping for a bowl season until proven otherwise!

Longer term, I'm super excited. Triple option with a pass capability and rocks defense.  Love what im hearing from Pitino too. I think it's a good time to be a lobo fan over the next few years. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 8:58 pm
loboman and zoom liked
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

A lot depends on improvement on the offensive line and finding a quarterback. Running backs, receivers, and defense are good enough for a winning season. How do you beef our offensive line up and help then gain experience? Maybe we start next season slow and improve as games go by. The weight room will be the most important tool beginning on Saturday. Also, young OL pups need a lot of reps during spring practice.  If this happens maybe we can win 5 or 6 games next year. I am not sure we can beef our OL up that much in a year without getting a few transfers from the portal. Four wins may be more likely.

If we can average over 27 points per game maybe we can win 5 or 6.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 7:54 am
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

5 to 6 wins.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 8:33 am
wasatchfrontlobo
(@wasatchfrontlobo)
Pup

Should have got 5-6 wins this year.... I think it is very doable next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 10:00 am
motaglos liked
AbqLobo
(@abqlobo)
Lobo

Last year: won 2 games

This year: won 3 (unless a surprise happens Friday)

Next year: 4-6 hopefully. 

Seems to be on the Coach Long trajectory.  Slow steady progress.  QB will always be a problem for us.  Never understand how most of the other teams in our league can recruit a big strong-arm QB who looks the part.  UNM QBs always seem a couple of inches shorter and not as durable.  Hopefully that changes in the coming years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 10:04 am
Lobo Amor
(@lobo-amor)
Lobo

I'm going with 6 wins. This is being built from the ground up. We have a lot of young talent that comes from winning programs that will be leading the team forward. 

Our defense is headed into top 20 territory in a year or two. Our offense will be the deciding factor on how far we can go. We have some.young RBs and WRs that can do damage. Finding the right QBs will be key.

Many of our conference foes will be losing their top talent while we are adding to ours.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 12:56 pm
DJ 33
(@dj-33)
Lobo

I see 4-5 wins next year unless we get much improved QB and OL work.  I saw improvement on D for sure this year but offense got hijacked by TWs injuries and his backups not being able to run the original offense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 7:58 pm
Share: