Forum

Gonzales -- recruit...

Notifications
Clear all

Gonzales -- recruiting

FreeMuyGuapo
(@FreeMuyGuapo)
Noble Member

Hardly a new topic, but plain and simple, I saw a team all year long that is completely lacking in offensive weapons. Most of our offense would not start or probably even be on the 2-deep chart on other teams. Yes, our playcalling is terrible, yes, we have no identity, but even if you solve those issues -- we can't win without D1 talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Is there a remedy? In this day and age of pay to win, I just don't honestly know.

Topic starter Posted : November 19, 2022 11:19 am
TheLoboMan reacted
crazylobo12
(@crazylobo12)

DG has had two full recruiting classes to get talent. Hasn't happened yet. I know it is tough to recruit to NM, but now we know why Davie went the JUCO route.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2022 12:35 pm
Lobosergei
(@lobosergei)
Reputable Member

@crazylobo12 

Really has no other choice but to aggressively hit the portal and recruit power 5 kids and FBS kids who want an upgrade. As bad as our offense is danny really has his work cut out

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2022 1:55 pm
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Illustrious Member

Recruiting is going to be hell for DG to bring in half decent players.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2022 10:08 pm
CJCalico
(@cjcalico)
Noble Member
Posted by: @lobosergei

@crazylobo12 

Really has no other choice but to aggressively hit the portal and recruit power 5 kids and FBS kids who want an upgrade. As bad as our offense is danny really has his work cut out

"Upgrade" is the key word.  Put yourself in the shoes of a kid looking to play D1 football.  IF you have actual D1 talent, would you be looking at a program that has a total of 10 wins in the past four seasons combined?  I'll answer for you: no, you wouldn't.  What is more, with the portal open (which I agree with), anyone who happens to have a breakout season at UNM is going to transfer to a more successful program.  We have the proverbial chicken and egg problem: can't recruit without success, can't have success without recruits.  The only think I can think that will solve this is a lot of money, and even then it's iffy.  This is the new reality. Danny - and pretty much any other coach they might bring in - is in a no-win situation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2022 11:00 am
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Illustrious Member

We will have a very good recruiting year. Negativity is your enemy. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2022 11:08 am
CJCalico
(@cjcalico)
Noble Member

Believe me, I hope that you're right! 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2022 2:24 pm
loboman
(@loboman)
Famed Member
Posted by: @cjcalico

@crazylobo12 

"Upgrade" is the key word.  Put yourself in the shoes of a kid looking to play D1 football.  IF you have actual D1 talent, would you be looking at a program that has a total of 10 wins in the past four seasons combined?  I'll answer for you: no, you wouldn't.  What is more, with the portal open (which I agree with), anyone who happens to have a breakout season at UNM is going to transfer to a more successful program.  We have the proverbial chicken and egg problem: can't recruit without success, can't have success without recruits.  The only think I can think that will solve this is a lot of money, and even then it's iffy.  This is the new reality. Danny - and pretty much any other coach they might bring in - is in a no-win situation

Regarding "IF you have actual D1 talent, would you be looking at a program that has a total of 10 wins in the past four seasons combined?  I'll answer for you: no, you wouldn't."  I disagree because it's been done twice in the recent past.  Examples are Dennis Franchione after Mike Sheppard and Bob Davie after Mike Locksley.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2022 8:54 pm
GoN4it reacted
loboss
(@loboss)
Noble Member
Posted by: @loboman

@crazylobo12 

"Upgrade" is the key word.  Put yourself in the shoes of a kid looking to play D1 football.  IF you have actual D1 talent, would you be looking at a program that has a total of 10 wins in the past four seasons combined?  I'll answer for you: no, you wouldn't.  What is more, with the portal open (which I agree with), anyone who happens to have a breakout season at UNM is going to transfer to a more successful program.  We have the proverbial chicken and egg problem: can't recruit without success, can't have success without recruits.  The only think I can think that will solve this is a lot of money, and even then it's iffy.  This is the new reality. Danny - and pretty much any other coach they might bring in - is in a no-win situation

Regarding "IF you have actual D1 talent, would you be looking at a program that has a total of 10 wins in the past four seasons combined?  I'll answer for you: no, you wouldn't."  I disagree because it's been done twice in the recent past.  Examples are Dennis Franchione after Mike Sheppard and Bob Davie after Mike Locksley.

The world changed when transfer rules were relaxed and NIL was allowed.  The intention of these rules are for the haves to have full access to any lower level schools talent.  UNM will struggle to keep players like Kody Moon and Christian Washington and build continuity

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2022 9:45 pm
loboman
(@loboman)
Famed Member
Posted by: @loboss
Posted by: @loboman

@crazylobo12 

The world changed when transfer rules were relaxed and NIL was allowed.  The intention of these rules are for the haves to have full access to any lower level schools talent.  UNM will struggle to keep players like Kody Moon and Christian Washington and build continuity

The other side of that coin is players not getting enough playing time at a P5 school may want to transfer to a G5 school where they will play more and can show off their talents.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2022 10:23 pm
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Illustrious Member

@loboman that’s a good point, but then, for those P5 players it becomes a question of which G5 school is offering enough NIT money, to go there… it’s all about the highest bidder these days. UNM and it’s boosters are gonna have to offer more NIT than ever before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2022 9:36 am
Hoser
(@hoser)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @unm-class-of-1972

If Gonzales cannot find 1 or 2 QB's that can step in right away the Lobos will continue to struggle.  Not an easy task but one that needs to be addressed. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2022 7:47 am
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @hoser
Posted by: @unm-class-of-1972

If Gonzales cannot find 1 or 2 QB's that can step in right away the Lobos will continue to struggle.  Not an easy task but one that needs to be addressed. 

We do have redshirt freshman and a sophomore currently on the team that have played few D-1 games. I like the chances that one of these two QB's is going to be very good within one to two years. I think our bigger need is to beef up our supply of wide receivers and continue to build depth on the line. Anyway, it never hurts to add a quarterback or two each year. Hopefully not another portal transfer senior. 

Montez will only be a redshirt sophomore next year. I think he will only get better.  We are a very young team and our youngsters will get better each year if we can keep the good ones.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2022 8:58 am
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Illustrious Member

Next yr we start seeing our 2 deep filed with redshirt sophs and Jrs + some true sophs & jrs. That should translate to improvement and then the yr after we should be pretty comparable to our competition in experience and maturity so at that point, we should be very, very competitive. That’s football unlike b-ball. If you start over now, you will just be looking at the same thing again, absent that almost mythical ”miracle worker” Rocky referenced years ago. Stay the course and then judge otherwise, be ready to endlessly, repeat the partial course.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2022 10:18 am
LoboForLife2
(@loboforlife2)
Reputable Member

@crazylobo12 

"Upgrade" is the key word.  Put yourself in the shoes of a kid looking to play D1 football.  IF you have actual D1 talent, would you be looking at a program that has a total of 10 wins in the past four seasons combined?  I'll answer for you: no, you wouldn't.  What is more, with the portal open (which I agree with), anyone who happens to have a breakout season at UNM is going to transfer to a more successful program.  We have the proverbial chicken and egg problem: can't recruit without success, can't have success without recruits.  The only think I can think that will solve this is a lot of money, and even then it's iffy.  This is the new reality. Danny - and pretty much any other coach they might bring in - is in a no-win situation.

To add to that, if you are a good DI player do you want to play in a stadium that is pretty empty each game?  I know a more successful team would result in higher attendance so we have the chicken or egg dilemma. On a side note, attendance would be higher with more day games.  No one really wants to sit outside at 10PM when it's 20 degrees to watch a bad team. More people will watch a bad team if it's an afternoon game where they can tailgate beforehand.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 6:36 am
wasatchfrontlobo
(@wasatchfrontlobo)
Reputable Member

My two cents: Danny needs the following!

1) An OC who can: form a game plan, adjust to defenses after half time, set explosive plays up during the game. If that is spreed offense or triple offense, whatever! Just get someone in here that can run an offense that can score. Might have to break the bank here to right the ship.

2) Has to use transfer portal/Junior College for receivers: only needs 3 kids who are dependable and able to beat one on one situations.

3) Has to keep the young kids we already have to build on: I fear a couple of kids leaving this year like last year...

4) Keep beating the drum with the local high school kids... I know New Mexico is not California or Texas, but walk on kids should be the heart and soul of the LOBOS!

I still believe in Danny, he just needs some help on the offensive side of the ball. 

GO LOBOS!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 8:18 pm
Lobodawg92 reacted
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Illustrious Member

DG will be gone by mid season next year if there is no Improvement with the football program. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 8:28 pm
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Illustrious Member

We had enough of Locksley when we were horrible,  and we shouldn't have to deal with horrible football under Danny. I want DG to win here more than any previous coach we've had namely Rocky Long.

But sometimes things don't work out. And we just gotta go in a different direction. 

This post was modified 7 days ago by NightWolf
This post was modified 6 days ago by NightWolf
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2022 9:59 pm
loboss
(@loboss)
Noble Member

Haladay seems to have more promise than any UNM qb in recent memory, mobile, strong arm, and great size.  I pray Danny's comments yesterday on needing upgrade at qb dont send Halladay to the portal

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2022 10:14 am