Notifications
Clear all

Lobos lose second money game for 2020,,,  

RSS
hobo
 hobo
(@hobo)
Lobo

UNM will not play Mississippi St and the potential for another $1mil (money game), as the SEC is going with a 10-game team schedule inter-conference only. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29566090/sec-play-10-game-conference-only-football-schedule

This only leaves the (P5) Big 12 with 10-teams to decide if they play a 9-game schedule with one non-conference game. If so, all Big 12 schools already have their non-conference games scheduled, so they can pick who they want unless they make a deal with the ACC for their one non-conference game. The Big 12 will meet to decide next week.

I now expect the MWC to make a decision soon. 10 games wouldn't be bad including a non-conference (NMSU). And likely the start of the season would be late September as that looks like when the P5's will start.

We just needed the money so badly.

Posted : July 31, 2020 5:21 am
Grit liked
zoom
 zoom
(@zoom)
Pack Leader

would be surprising if a season even takes place...football or basketball...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 5:35 am
Grit liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level

If I'm Eddie Nunez I've already been having council look into these contracts to see if there can be any financial recourse. They may be written such that "acts of God" or "circumstances beyond control" can make them null and void. If not I'm already on the phone with the other AD's pointing out the financial liability / responsibility and trying to reach some sort of a financial compromise which would help cover revenues lost.

From personal experience, one can even play the "do the right thing" card and sometimes it achieves a positive result. That's certainly a "feel" thing regarding the ethical perception of the other person. 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Lobo_for_life
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 5:48 am
hobo
 hobo
(@hobo)
Lobo
Posted by: @lobo_for_life

If I'm Eddie Nunez I've already been having council look into these contracts to see if there can be any financial recourse. They may be written such that "acts of God" or "circumstances beyond control" can make them null and void. If not I'm already on the phone with the other AD's pointing out the financial liability / responsibility and trying to reach some sort of a financial compromise which would help cover revenues lost. From personal experience, as a last resort one can even play the "do the right thing" card and sometimes it achieves a positive result.

Or maybe keep us on your schedule for a future year, but pay us now?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by hobo
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 5:55 am
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @hobo

Or maybe keep us on your schedule for a future year, but pay us now?

That would be the best of all worlds for UNM. Nunez would have to be Houdini to pull that off. Because of COVID-19 cash is going to be tight. After scoring a concession and without mentioning it specifically I might be thinking in terms of payment over several months as a likelihood for any kind of arrangement.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Lobo_for_life
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 6:04 am
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

I still think they should start the seasons in almost all sports in April 2021. Maybe we will have a vaccine by then and even if not everyone can be vaccinated at least there may be a light at the end of the tunnel by then. Maybe we end up playing the Aggies and Idaho State in September and resume the schedule in April. We should know more within 10 days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 8:17 am
StLouLobo
(@StLouLobo)
Pup

The problem, related to the Mississippi State game, is that if all goes well with the 10-game all-SEC schedule the SEC will implement a 9-game conference schedule starting in 2022, taking the non-con from four games to three.  

MSU has at least three non-cons scheduled all the way out to 2027.

If the SEC (and Big 10 and ACC) schools try to invoke act of God/force majeure wouldn't the fact they're playing a (mostly - 10 games vs. 12) full schedule with all conference games blow that defense out of the water?  There's going to be some kind of payout coming, right?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 11:53 am
hobo liked
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Pup

Talk on the MWC fan forum is that the MWC goes to a conference only 10 game schedule, with UNM sitting out. Since we’re the only MW school with a mandatory 14 quarantine to come into the state, its easier for the conference to play a 10 game, round robin format, and a title game with the two best records.

Supposedly, there was a vote today for that, with a 7-4 vote for conf only... and UNM abstaining? Suppose to have a final vote next week, and that UNM will vote yes, with the majority. Anybody hear about a vote today?

Very interesting opinions about P5/G5 conference decisions. 
Because of the quarantine, I think we should play all our “home away from home games” at Fort Lewis College in Durango, or CSU Pueblo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2020 10:18 pm
Grit
 Grit
(@elmassuave)
Lobo Registered

Governor MLG last week urged UNM and NMSU officials to suspend sports this fall -- 2 months after she directly appealed to NCAA President to set "firm protocols for COVID-19" and also applauded the NCAA's decision to cancel winter and spring championship events.

Source: https://www.abqjournal.com/1481664/governor-wrote-ncaa-in-may-with-concerns.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2020 7:49 am
hobo
 hobo
(@hobo)
Lobo
Posted by: @gon4it

Talk on the MWC fan forum is that the MWC goes to a conference only 10 game schedule, with UNM sitting out. Since we’re the only MW school with a mandatory 14 quarantine to come into the state, its easier for the conference to play a 10 game, round robin format, and a title game with the two best records.

Supposedly, there was a vote today for that, with a 7-4 vote for conf only... and UNM abstaining? Suppose to have a final vote next week, and that UNM will vote yes, with the majority. Anybody hear about a vote today?

Because of the quarantine, I think we should play all our “home away from home games” at Fort Lewis College in Durango, or CSU Pueblo.BTW, I did this to visit my Mom, and called the Public Health Department before I visited. They said as long as I go straight to my Mom's house and stay there for my 5 days, I was allowed to leave after the 5-days.

Help me understand the 14-day quarantine for visiting teams and why it is different from my experience (below)? Why is New Mexico United soccer team restricted?

Recently, I came from out of state and visited my Mom for 5 days. And before my visit, I called the City Public Health Department. They said as long as I go straight to my Mom's house and stay there for my 5 days, I was allowed to leave the state after my 5 days (no mandatory 14).

Therefore, my understanding of the 14-day quarantine for out of state visitors, is the visitor must stay in-place at a maximum of 14 days. If a visitor comes in for only lets say 5 days, they are allowed to leave the state after the 5 days. The only restriction is they stay in-place (in this case a mandatory) 5 days before returning to their state.

I would think the maximum any traveling visiting team would be in ABQ is 4 days, so they are allowed to visit and leave. But what is considered in-place?

For me in-place meant my Mom's house. But for an athletic team, could in-place be at the hotel and stadium only? The dorms and practice facilities?

I don't see why teams couldn't travel to New Mexico and still abide to the 14-day quarantine if in-place restrictions are to the hotel and stadium only.

Also, if New Mexico played on the road and returned back to ABQ, couldn't they all live in the dorms and be restricted there and at the practice facilities only?

BTW, Hawaii has extended their 14-day quarantine from August 1 until September 1. And with California as a hot spot, could they add similar restrictions? 

Going to be a messed up season. I hope they get to play, but more importantly, I want everyone to be safe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2020 9:27 am
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Pup
Posted by: @hobo
Posted by: @gon4it

Because of the quarantine, I think we should play all our “home away from home games” at Fort Lewis College in Durango, or CSU Pueblo.BTW, I did this to visit my Mom, and called the Public Health Department before I visited. They said as long as I go straight to my Mom's house and stay there for my 5 days, I was allowed to leave after the 5-days.

Help me understand the 14-day quarantine for visiting teams and why it is different from my experience (below)? Why is New Mexico United soccer team restricted?

Recently, I came from out of state and visited my Mom for 5 days. And before my visit, I called the City Public Health Department. They said as long as I go straight to my Mom's house and stay there for my 5 days, I was allowed to leave the state after my 5 days (no mandatory 14).

Therefore, my understanding of the 14-day quarantine for out of state visitors, is the visitor must stay in-place at a maximum of 14 days. If a visitor comes in for only lets say 5 days, they are allowed to leave the state after the 5 days. The only restriction is they stay in-place (in this case a mandatory) 5 days before returning to their state.

I would think the maximum any traveling visiting team would be in ABQ is 4 days, so they are allowed to visit and leave. But what is considered in-place?

For me in-place meant my Mom's house. But for an athletic team, could in-place be at the hotel and stadium only? The dorms and practice facilities?

I don't see why teams couldn't travel to New Mexico and still abide to the 14-day quarantine if in-place restrictions are to the hotel and stadium only.

Also, if New Mexico played on the road and returned back to ABQ, couldn't they all live in the dorms and be restricted there and at the practice facilities only?

BTW, Hawaii has extended their 14-day quarantine from August 1 until September 1. And with California as a hot spot, could they add similar restrictions? 

Going to be a messed up season. I hope they get to play, but more importantly, I want everyone to be safe.

The quarantine mandate from the Governor says, 14 days, or the length of your stay in NM, "which ever is shortest". So yes. When visiting your mom, the mandate was for you to stay there for the length of your stay. No sight seeing, no shopping trips or tourist stuff, like (Sandia Tram), no day trips to check out nearby historic/cultural/tourist sites (NO Meow Wolf!). But yeah, you're allowed to leave at any time.

NM United has played all their games since restart, on the road. When they finally return to ABQ, they have to quarantine in the same way that you would have. Not sure if they've set up their own bubble for quarantine purposes, but the team has also reported ZERO covid cases. But still, I would think, that they would have to restrict contact with family and friends, IMO, especially if coming from a hot spot state/city. Their next two games are @OKC, and @Phoenix, both hot-spots. Bubbles would be easier to set up for a soccer team/staff, than a football team/staff, just to due to the shear number of bodies involved.

As far as football or basketball, if teams can travel to and leave NM in the same day, that would be ideal. No having to stay in quarantine hotels. But again, if those visiting teams come from hot-spot places, the UNM team/staff would have to isolate/quarantine for 14 days for being in close contact with them? It's all getting so complicated! Football is the most close, heavy contact related sport out there! And now, we're hearing about some covid testing producing 'false negatives'... yikes if true! And don't forget about the biggest of issues (aside from testing positive), is contact tracing... double yikes!

In the end though, I think it's more an honor/integrity test for people. If you believe that Covid19 is a real danger, then you'll adhere to rules and mandates... If you're of the opinion (like millions still are), that Covid19 is being blown out of proportion, and its no worse than the flu, then you'll somewhat, or totally, blow it off... up to YOU in the end.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2020 11:24 am
hobo liked
JimSoks
(@jimsoks)
Lobo
Posted by: @StLouLobo

The problem, related to the Mississippi State game, is that if all goes well with the 10-game all-SEC schedule the SEC will implement a 9-game conference schedule starting in 2022, taking the non-con from four games to three.  

MSU has at least three non-cons scheduled all the way out to 2027.

If the SEC (and Big 10 and ACC) schools try to invoke act of God/force majeure wouldn't the fact they're playing a (mostly - 10 games vs. 12) full schedule with all conference games blow that defense out of the water?  There's going to be some kind of payout coming, right?

Using that logic, if Lobo Football doesn't play Idaho St on Sept 19th, should Bengals still get $375k? https://www.idahostatejournal.com/sports/idaho-state-footballs-season-opener-at-new-mexico-pushed-back-to-sept-19/article_455eb804-3440-5f41-9c04-8c2dfe24e513.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2020 11:28 am
hobo
 hobo
(@hobo)
Lobo
Posted by: @jimsoks

Using that logic, if Lobo Football doesn't play Idaho St on Sept 19th, should Bengals still get $375k? https://www.idahostatejournal.com/sports/idaho-state-footballs-season-opener-at-new-mexico-pushed-back-to-sept-19/article_455eb804-3440-5f41-9c04-8c2dfe24e513.html

At least we could take the $1 million to pay off the $375k. The remaining $600k is still a lot we could use.

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by hobo
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2020 2:46 pm
GoN4it liked
StLouLobo
(@StLouLobo)
Pup
Posted by: @jimsoks

If the MWC comes out and says we're playing a MWC only schedule and UNM is a part of that, then yes, we'd owe ISU $375k.

If the MWC says we're playing a MWC only schedule, except for UNM due to state restrictions.  UNM wouldn't play at all and should be able to argue force majeure I would think but I'm not an attorney.  I'm sure there's a couple of those on the board who would know better than I.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2020 9:18 am
Share: