brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin

Says the Mountain Wesr.

Posted : August 10, 2020 3:54 pm
Darkside
(@darkside)
Lobo

This decision was set in motion in March when it was decided the way to deal with a repository virus was shutting down a country.  You can't then turn around 5 months later and say it is now safe to play CFB when nothing has changed.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 4:06 pm
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

Good decision. Hopefully the remaining conferences will make the same decision this week.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 4:20 pm
wasatchfrontlobo
(@wasatchfrontlobo)
Pup

I was soo excited to see what Coach Gonzalez, and The Rock had ready for this season! But I understand the decision!!!! Bummer!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 4:29 pm
Hoser, abqpianist, RedLobo007 and 2 people liked
pitboss
(@pitboss)
Lobo Lobo level

This is the right decision for the student-athletes, the schools and the state......

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 4:41 pm
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level

Now if it is played in the spring and they want to return to a fall season in 2021 there will be the wear-and-tear on student-athletes. And injuries in spring season will hold many more out of action for the fall.

You have to wonder how much that was considered.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Lobo_for_life
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 4:51 pm
Lucero
(@lucero)
Lobo

Interesting decision. This could be the end for small schools and conferences. 

Attendance in hoops and football have been on the decline. Money from networks as well. 

The viewership of NBA and MLB has gone in the tank.  Perhaps the more people see they don’t really need sports the fewer watch them. 

How many people after the Locksley and Noodle debacles gave up tix and never came back. They found out there were other things to do with their money and time. Numbers have dropped during the Davie and Weir eras and the PanicDemic May just be the final nail in the coffin. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 6:07 pm
JimSoks
(@jimsoks)
Lobo
Posted by: @wasatchfrontlobo

I was soo excited to see what Coach Gonzalez, and The Rock had ready for this season! But I understand the decision!!!! Bummer!

How stupid does firing Davie look now?  Now instead of paying one Head Coach you are paying three.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 6:56 pm
wasatchfrontlobo
(@wasatchfrontlobo)
Pup
Posted by: @jimsoks

How stupid does firing Davie look now?  Now instead of paying one Head Coach you are paying three.

Not very stupid at all! I went to South Bend, Boise, and in ABQ to see Air Force and Utah State. I was very disappointed in the number of fans attending games at home in November! It was the correct decision, 3 coaches contracts or not!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 7:40 pm
Lucero
(@lucero)
Lobo

The only stupid thing was it should have been done years before. Bob was not good. Nobody could predict the PanicDemic. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 8:15 pm
macomber04
(@macomber04)
Lobo

Saying it now after the election Covid -19 will have a major decline and be old news 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 8:26 pm
loborick
(@loborick)
Posted by: @lucero

Attendance in hoops and football have been on the decline. Money from networks as well. 

The viewership of NBA and MLB has gone in the tank.  Perhaps the more people see they don’t really need sports the fewer watch them. 

How many people after the Locksley and Noodle debacles gave up tix and never came back. They found out there were other things to do with their money and time. Numbers have dropped during the Davie and Weir eras and the PanicDemic May just be the final nail in the coffin. 

The TV ratings for NBA and MLB are the best they've been in years.  This was the right decision.  If everything in the country would have been shut down in March and people complied with mandatory orders that would have come from the Federal Government, this would be done and we'd be playing at the end of the month.  See: New Zealand.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 8:29 pm
txlobo95, Digital Lobo, RedLobo007 and 1 people liked
JimSoks
(@jimsoks)
Lobo
Posted by: @loborick

How many people after the Locksley and Noodle debacles gave up tix and never came back. They found out there were other things to do with their money and time. Numbers have dropped during the Davie and Weir eras and the PanicDemic May just be the final nail in the 

The TV ratings for NBA and MLB are the best they've been in years.  This was the right decision.  If everything in the country would have been shut down in March and people complied with mandatory orders that would have come from the Federal Government, this would be done and we'd be playing at the end of the month.  See: New Zealand.

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read here.  New Zealand is an isolated country, with half the population of the State of Arizona.  There is no way to compare to US at any level.  A truly idiotic comparison.  

This post was modified 1 month ago by JimSoks
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 9:23 pm
Darkside liked
Lucero
(@lucero)
Lobo
Posted by: @loborick

So like everything else there are lines drawn as to what is truth. Some websites claim NBA/MLB ratings are good. Some websites claim not good 

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-nba-ratings-crash-why-are-nba-and-mlb-ratings-at-an-all-time-low-after-black-lives-matter-protests/ 
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 9:58 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Pack Leader
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read here.  New Zealand is an isolated country, with half the population of the State of Arizona.  There is no way to compare to US at any level.  A truly idiotic comparison.  

How about China then?  They have a population 4 times larger than ours, but we have 5 million+ cases versus their 84,712 cases as of August 2020.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 11:00 pm
loborick liked
zoom
 zoom
(@zoom)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @digital-lobo

How about China then?  They have a population 4 times larger than ours, but we have 5 million+ cases versus their 84,712 cases as of August 2020.

and you believe that...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 11:18 pm
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Pup

For years, I’ve heard people say, meh, it doesn’t matter, I’m just a number to them... and now finding out, we are!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 7:28 am
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @macomber04

Saying it now after the election Covid -19 will have a major decline and be old news 

I doubt it. December and January may be the worst moths we have seen yet. 

Maybe in February or March there will be a vaccine available to a decent portion of the population. With that perhaps football season can be played in late March through May. Maybe a reduced season of 8-9 games. Maybe basketball can be played at the same time. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 8:11 am
Grit
 Grit
(@elmassuave)
Lobo Registered
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level

I thought we were finished with Locksley's buyout. Am I wrong?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 9:15 am
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @zoom
Posted by: @digital-lobo

and you believe that...

And you do not believe that the US has by far the most cases and there’s not even a close 2nd?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 11:28 am
pitboss
(@pitboss)
Lobo Lobo level

@jimsoks....actually the USA is now the isolated country......Americans banned from. Canada, Mexico, EU, UK, New Zealand, Australia.....no one else in the World wants anything to do with US (A).....

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 1:34 pm
Hoser and loborick liked
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

Big Ten just officially cancelled fall football also. Not as if the MW was some rogue entity on this. It's all going to end up there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 1:35 pm
loborick liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @lobomike

Big Ten just officially cancelled fall football also. Not as if the MW was some rogue entity on this. It's all going to end up there.

ACC and SEC have announced they are playing. And Big 12 apparently leaning that way.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Lobo_for_life
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 1:44 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Posted by: @lobo_for_life

ACC and SEC have announced they are playing. And Big 12 apparently leaning that way.

For now. Good luck trying to facilitate the "bubble" they would need to do it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 1:49 pm
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @lobo_for_life

For now. Good luck trying to facilitate the "bubble" they would need to do it.

It could backfire. But these leagues think they have a way. And if there is an outbreak these are health-resilient kids. So, as a group, they would probably be alright.

It's probable this will drag on for a good while, so we have to go on living while taking measured risks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 2:26 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

Pac 12 also cancels for the fall.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 2:54 pm
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Lobo Registered, Lobo level

What I'd like to know is, what happens with our senior players now? Are they basically screwed out of their senior seasons,  or do they get some kind of waiver to play again once it starts back up?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 3:28 pm
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader Customer, Registered, Lobo level
Posted by: @nightwolf

What I'd like to know is, what happens with our senior players now? Are they basically screwed out of their senior seasons,  or do they get some kind of waiver to play again once it starts back up?

And if the answer is yes, they get another year what does that mean for the total scholarship limits with all the newcomers & how does that work for our athletic department’s obligation to pay their tuitions to the university. While I agree with the decision it does create lots of other issues to resolve - can only hope that the best interest of the SAs will be paramount.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 4:10 pm
Darkside
(@darkside)
Lobo
Posted by: @nightwolf

Question is why would they want to return? I would assume most have already graduated or are close. Why put your life on hold with no guarantee Lobo Football will even play in Spring.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 4:34 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: