Forum

OT....Sheesh! The A...

Notifications
Clear all

OT....Sheesh! The Aggies cant be serious!

NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Lobo Registered, Lobo level

I mean really? Talk about desperation!

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-new-mexico-state-coaching-change-doug-martin-jerry-kill

This topic was modified 2 months ago by NightWolf
Topic starter Posted : November 23, 2021 2:34 pm
Mr. Banana
(@mr-banana)
Pup

It's interesting that they can't find the money for AC in their locker room but they have enough to pay for insurance on a coach that has collapsed on the field multiple times in the last 10 years, YIKES. 

Also, Doug Martin is the only person I have EVER heard preach about how great Las Cruces is. Going to be a tough act to follow.  

This post was modified 2 months ago by Mr. Banana
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 2:37 pm
Scott liked
Darkside
(@darkside)
Lobo
Posted by: @

That would be a great hire by NMSU, if they can afford him.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 2:38 pm
Lobodawg92, acct_lobo, Remus Lupin and 1 people liked
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Posted by: @darkside
Posted by: @

That would be a great hire by NMSU, if they can afford him.

Great, is a stretch I would say. But that's just my opinion. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 23, 2021 3:34 pm
acct_lobo
(@acct_lobo)
Pup
Posted by: @mr-banana

It's interesting that they can't find the money for AC in their locker room but they have enough to pay for insurance on a coach that has collapsed on the field multiple times in the last 10 years, YIKES. 

Also, Doug Martin is the only person I have EVER heard preach about how great Las Cruces is. Going to be a tough act to follow.  

I'm hoping those palm trees that are growing in the stands are still there next year. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 3:17 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor Admin

@mr-banana 

You probably need to drive down to Cruces and ask around:-)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 3:24 pm
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

The guy can coach if he can stay healthy.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2021 4:57 pm
KrimsonKrazy
(@KrimsonKrazy)
Pup

Aggie nation is very excited about this hire. He is an experienced head coach who most recently was a key assistant in talent-rich Texas. He comes to Las Cruces and will have one year of being an independent and then a member of CUSA. He understands the financial issues at NM State and knows its history of futility. His health is a concern, but apparently it is under control.

Despite the hopes of the Aggie enemies, NM State football will remain at the FBS level.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 7:12 am
acct_lobo
(@acct_lobo)
Pup

Realistically, this is the best the Aggies were going to do, and Jerry Kill does have a reputation for doing more with less. From the Aggies perspective, this is a splash hire. I am excited for them and I hope he is able to breathe some new life into the program down there. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 9:12 am
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)

Heard that Doug Martin didn't even coach the team at their last game. Is that true? Sounds like some bad blood there between Martin and Mario Moccia.

Martin gave his all to that program,  even working without a raise for a few years. It's a coaches graveyard. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by NightWolf
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 29, 2021 10:37 am
KrimsonKrazy
(@KrimsonKrazy)
Pup
Posted by: @nightwolf

Heard that Doug Martin didn't even coach the team at their last game. Is that true? Sounds like some bad blood there between Martin and Mario Moccia.

Martin gave his all to that program,  even working without a raise for a few years. It's a coaches graveyard. 

Martin was on the sidelines and did coach his final game. He had asked for a one year extension on his contract based on the lost COVID season, but the AD said no. With the tough 2021 schedule, the writing was on the wall. To likely avoid getting fired for cause, he did everything he needed to, with the exception of this past week. He did not have his weekly presser and he did not talk to the media after the final game.

Throughout this final season he refused to wear a NMSU/Aggie logo on the sidelines and he took several shots at the program, some that were justified, some that weren't. His bitterness and lack of lack of class made even his tepid supporters angry and everyone is glad he is gone. Aggie Nation has been supportive of Mario Moccia with almost unanimous support of the new football hire.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 12:15 pm
TheLoboMan
(@TheLoboMan)
Lobo
Posted by: @KrimsonKrazy

Aggie nation is very excited about this hire. He is an experienced head coach who most recently was a key assistant in talent-rich Texas. He comes to Las Cruces and will have one year of being an independent and then a member of CUSA. He understands the financial issues at NM State and knows its history of futility. His health is a concern, but apparently it is under control.

Despite the hopes of the Aggie enemies, NM State football will remain at the FBS level.

Kill will not win at NMSU. Saban couldn't win at NMSU unless he could raise some serious cash. 

You have such crappy facilities. Yet UNM is about to build a state of the art training facility. We are almost out of losing football hell in another year or two. 

You will be lucky to get 3 years out of Kill. 

Should have hired Sokup or the Lynne guy coaching in Kansas I believe. He is a NM kid. Coaching D2. 

You need a coach who is young and has crazy energy. You just hired a bookmark. I'm other words Moccia hired him while he looks for a real coach. I would have rather hired Glen Mason. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 10:31 pm
HighDesertPedro
(@highdesertpedro)
Pup
Posted by: @TheLoboMan
Posted by: @KrimsonKrazy

Saban couldn't win at NMSU unless he could raise some serious cash. 

You have such crappy facilities. 

This is rich.  Pot meet kettle. UNM and NMSU football programs have both been horrid for eternity.  You would be hard pressed to find a list of historically bad football teams without the pair UNM and NMSU mentioned.                                                                                

Lol have you seen OUR facilities?  It's sad enough that 13,000 is about the average attendance for a football game but UNM football stadium itself is an embarrassment and in poor condition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsXaCXHo6No And the proposed athletic facitily will not exactly be "state of the art" costing only $4 million dollars.  Sorry, you will need TON$$ more than that to even scratch the surface to be competitive in college football today.                                                                                                                                I

hope you don't focus too much on recruiting when it comes to football because UNM is currently ranked #117.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 11:06 pm
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)

IMO, the Aggies would've been better served to probably get a good successful D-2 coach. That's how we got Franchione and that turned out well for us. 

I just don't know why, for the life of me, this old man wants to keep coaching considering his significant health issues. 

Just seems like a desperate decision on Mario's part. I just can't see him being  a success. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by NightWolf
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 30, 2021 11:21 am
Lobodawg92
(@lobodawg92)
Pack Leader

It sounds like a good hire for them. 

For those looking down your nose at the baggies, they are pretty much at eye level. Both programs have a whole lot of room for improvement, and neither can get much worse and continue to exist imo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 2:45 pm
Share: