Clear all

RIP Coach Joe Lee

ChairESilver
(@ChairESilver)
Lobo
Bullchuter
(@bullchuter)
Pack Leader

RIP Coach.   Great Golfer as well.   Could hit a 9 iron , 100 Yards.  Very nice person.  Enjoy the Fairways and Greens in Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 5:41 pm
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Lobo Registered

RIP coach. The original master of the 3 3 5 defense. I still remember his defense against Jim McMahon and BYU. They had no answers for his defense. It was a clinic on team defense. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 7:36 pm
Scott, zoom and Doublealum liked
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

We had a few nice seasons under him. Who was the QB we had under him that was having a great season that got cut short at season's end by an injury (a concussion I believe...)?

Thanks for all your contributions coach! RIP.

And blessings to those who are grieving your loss.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 8:26 am
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

Joe Lee was a likable guy. The nicest dad gum good ol' boy this state has ever seen other than maybe Bruce King. RIP Joe Lee.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 8:34 am
Doublealum and Scott liked
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Lobo Registered, Lobo level
Posted by: @Scott

We had a few nice seasons under him. Who was the QB we had under him that was having a great season that got cut short at season's end by an injury (a concussion I believe...)?

Billy Rucker comes to mind,  but I'm not sure

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 9:03 am
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

@nightwolf

Sounds familiar. To follow up on '72's comments, I remember Coach Dunn saying he was a "Dog gone good quarterback" or something to that affect.

Nightwolf - thanks. You're always good when it comes to trivia and past players.

I just looked him up (Rucker). I'd forgotten that he was a NM kid. From Gallup.....

This post was modified 1 month ago by Scott
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 9:46 am
NightWolf liked
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Lobo Registered

I want to say David Osborn was QB when we 10 and 1 Joe Lee was the DC with HC Joe Morrison

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 11:49 am
Scott liked
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @lobomaniac2018

I want to say David Osborn was QB when we 10 and 1 Joe Lee was the DC with HC Joe Morrison

Thanks, I'm thinking I am remembering the one season we went .500 under Dunn? Rucker got hurt late in the season and the chance at a winning season went away. But it's been a long time. I do know I remember coach talking about his doggone good QB, which pretty much had to be Rucker.

But I don't have the memory of some of those past eras like some of you guys do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 12:12 pm
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

According to the "Jeernal" he was 6-6, 4-8, 3-8, and 4-8 in that order. 17-30 overall and 9-21 in WAC play.  Still a great defensive coordinator.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 3:06 pm
Scott liked
Darkside
(@darkside)
Lobo
Posted by: @nightwolf

Buddy Funck was the QB.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 3:28 pm
Scott liked
Darkside
(@darkside)
Lobo

Thanks, I'm thinking I am remembering the one season we went .500 under Dunn? Rucker got hurt late in the season and the chance at a winning season went away. But it's been a long time. I do know I remember coach talking about his doggone good QB, which pretty much had to be Rucker.

But I don't have the memory of some of those past eras like some of you guys do.

Billy Rucker split time with Ned James late in Dunn's tenure.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 3:30 pm
Scott liked
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @darkside

Buddy Funck was the QB.  

Bingo. Thats who I was trying to remember. Thanks. And thanks to everyone for setting my memory straight. Fortunately it's at least somewhat more accurate when it comes to hoops.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 6:52 pm
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Lobo Registered, Lobo level

Buddy Funck was the QB.  

Sadly, Buddy passed away not too long ago.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1428870/harold-glen-buddy-funck-19632020.html

This post was modified 1 month ago by NightWolf
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 8:43 pm
Scott and TheLoboMan liked
Golobosguy
(@golobosguy)
Lobo

@bullchuter Dude, my wife hits a 9 iron 100 yrds.   150 is about the right distance for a 9 iron

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 9:48 pm
TheLoboMan
(@TheLoboMan)
Lobo

Buddy Funck was the QB.  

Buddy Funck is correct. The Lobos had destroyed NMSU and also Texas tech. We went to Utah undefeated and lost Buddy Funck. This was in 1984. I remember cause my wife and I got married that year. 

I think Barry Garrison took over. 

I think we also lost Johnny Jackson for a good portion of that season. He was an all American linebacker. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 11:33 pm
Scott liked
TheLoboMan
(@TheLoboMan)
Lobo

Billy Rucker split time with Ned James late in Dunn's tenure.  

Later on after Buddy Funck came Billy Ducker from Gallup and Ned James was a juco transfer. Both were really good QBs. Ben Griffin was the offensive coordinate and the Lobos offense was unstoppable. Ned James ended up the QB who played the most. Terence Mathis was an underclassman. One of the best offenses I've ever seen. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 11:36 pm
Scott liked
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

@TheLoboMan

Thank you

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 5:06 am
Share: