https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortalPositionRanking/

This post was modified 3 months ago by Mr. Banana
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2021 1:27 pm
Leviblu liked
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

Picking someone who plays in a similar system to aid in the transition from school to school might be a big help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2021 2:35 pm
Leviblu liked
Mr. Banana
(@mr-banana)
Pup

Just saying: Chubba Purdy, Chubba PurdyChubba Purdy

From AZ, Brother to Iowa State's Brock Purdy, 4 years of eligibility remaining and Coach G is already following him on Twitter if you're into that kinda thing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2021 2:58 pm
Leviblu liked
Darkside
(@darkside)
Lobo
Posted by: @mr-banana

Just saying: Chubba Purdy, Chubba PurdyChubba Purdy

From AZ, Brother to Iowa State's Brock Purdy, 4 years of eligibility remaining and Coach G is already following him on Twitter if you're into that kinda thing. 

Unlikely, I think it will be someone like Wilson that has actually has gotten major PT at a big school and stayed healthy.  I don't see Gonzales going after someone from a P5 that sat on the bench or was hurt most of the time.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 9, 2021 3:48 pm
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo

I wonder if coach G. would consider going to the juco ranks and look for BIG offensive linemen? We need immediate help there as well… and why not a QB from jucos as well.

he can bring in a dozen jucos/transfers, while still building with freshmen for future classes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2021 7:26 pm
Mr. Banana
(@mr-banana)
Pup
Posted by: @gon4it

I wonder if coach G. would consider going to the juco ranks and look for BIG offensive linemen? We need immediate help there as well… and why not a QB from jucos as well.

he can bring in a dozen jucos/transfers, while still building with freshmen for future classes.

He actually addressed that very question today. Short answer: not happening. 
https://youtu.be/1dWs_Cc0tNg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2021 8:22 pm
hunterig liked
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo

That’s too bad. I really like the man, but his stubbornness and hard headedness may work against him if he doesn’t soften his stance on some issues.

How people are already fed up with his always going for it on 4th down instead of going for the points… always going for the dive play instead of maybe trying a creative play? Fans are already calling for him to change his OC.

Fans are also seeing the immediate needs of the team, but Danny slow walking the turn around of the program. I’m afraid fans patience with him will run out before he can see his vision comes to life.

Same as it ever was… wash, rinse, repeat.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2021 9:23 pm
Mr. Banana
(@mr-banana)
Pup

That’s too bad. I really like the man, but his stubbornness and hard headedness may work against him if he doesn’t soften his stance on some issues.

How people are already fed up with his always going for it on 4th down instead of going for the points… always going for the dive play instead of maybe trying a creative play? Fans are already calling for him to change his OC.

Fans are also seeing the immediate needs of the team, but Danny slow walking the turn around of the program. I’m afraid fans patience with him will run out before he can see his vision comes to life.

Same as it ever was… wash, rinse, repeat.

I hear what you're saying.

Strangely enough, I feel like we've entered the perfect storm of fan apathy, small wins, and competent leadership so DG will get 5-6 years. He was 2-5 last year and is currently 3-6. Call me crazy but I think we hit 4 wins this year. Overall not great but still improvement year to year. I made a joke on another thread about DG being a disciple of Rocky, but for real it took Rocky 5 seasons to go .500. I wouldn't put money on it yet but I think we can go .500 next season. 

I really don't think we're as far away from being competitive as it may seem. We have some good young WRs, RBs, LBs, CBs, and Ss. We'll see on the O line and D line. Plus UNM is always a QB away from being competitive: Stoney Case, Kole McKamey, Donovan Porterie, Lamar Jordan. Problem is, we tend to go 10ish years in between having good QBs.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2021 9:49 am
BobOso
(@boboso)
Lobo

Thank God, I thought you guys were trying to take out Warehime

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2021 11:35 am
Darkside
(@darkside)
Lobo

He said most JUCOs aren't good enough to help.  And those that are are going P5, not to Lobo Football. He said for a team like Lobo Football, you need to build w/ multiple classes of Freshmen.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 10, 2021 1:37 pm
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader Customer, Registered, Lobo level

@darkside correct and imo, DG is correct.  Its we fans who need to change and have the patience for this process to unfold.  There is not much of a chance for immediate gratification in football, especially given where we are and who we have been.  Its a matter of finding the enough of the right kind of kids (ones that are NOT ready day one or two but who have the "want to", the basic frames and athletic ability to be developed over 2,3, 4 and yes, 5 years).  Get enough of those types of SAs and then actually do the right things to develop them (a huge part of coaching at places like NM - we aren't going to get the blue-chippers so the work in evaluation is harder and more important). Try to enjoy the ride and we may be treated with a great gourmet meal after sufficient time to prepare it but don't expect a "fast food" solution.       

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2021 2:59 pm
AbqLobo liked
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

Personally, I have the utmost respect for Coach Gonzales.   He is disciplined, smart and tough.  He will have this program competing.  It's going to take some time but he's going to be the best FB coach we have ever had.   Go Lobos!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 13, 2021 8:03 am
loboman liked
Leviblu
(@leviblu)
Pup

@gon4it well, I see your frustration.  Let's get real. He's not doing the Bob Davie fill in holes every year. Danny is building a program as pain staking as it is. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 13, 2021 12:19 pm
GoN4it liked
animas
(@animas)
Pup

We played 25 freshman yesterday, I would bet that that is a national record.  We have over 30 true freshman on our roster.  When I went back and counted the number of RS Fr, we have over 50 (53 to be exact).  This is an extremely YOUNG team, so we need to be patient.  We all knew we had to be patient.  We know Coach is having to do a total rebuild, which is what he is doing.  We have a bunch of freshman Off linemen, and many are 300 plus. Last years class weren’t able to get the proper support and take advantage of our weight, strength & conditioning program, & etc.  They have to catch up and I think they are doing so.  Give them time.

Unfortunately we started the year down a couple QB’s, plus Chavez being out for almost half the season. And then we lose our starting QB.  So we are extremely young, missed last years training program, plus injuries to our most important position-QB-and fans are getting frustrated.  I get that, I am too.  We need to reload with another great freshman class, get 3-4 more QB’s, and come out next year continuing to build weight/strength and we will be a much better team. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2021 8:48 am
LesIsMoore
(@lesismoore)
Lobo
Posted by: @animas

We played 25 freshman yesterday, I would bet that that is a national record.  We have over 30 true freshman on our roster.  When I went back and counted the number of RS Fr, we have over 50 (53 to be exact).  This is an extremely YOUNG team, so we need to be patient.  We all knew we had to be patient.  We know Coach is having to do a total rebuild, which is what he is doing.  We have a bunch of freshman Off linemen, and many are 300 plus. Last years class weren’t able to get the proper support and take advantage of our weight, strength & conditioning program, & etc.  They have to catch up and I think they are doing so.  Give them time.

Unfortunately we started the year down a couple QB’s, plus Chavez being out for almost half the season. And then we lose our starting QB.  So we are extremely young, missed last years training program, plus injuries to our most important position-QB-and fans are getting frustrated.  I get that, I am too.  We need to reload with another great freshman class, get 3-4 more QB’s, and come out next year continuing to build weight/strength and we will be a much better team. 

I doubt it.  With the 4 game rule, everybody is playing freshmen now.  Even mighty Alabama yesterday. I think you bigger impact is the other reason you mentioned, being one of only 3 programs in the country that lost a year in the weight room, plus everything that goes along with that like training table, being able to hold entire team meetings in person instead 5 at or time or over zoom, etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2021 9:49 am
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @lesismoore

I doubt it.  With the 4 game rule, everybody is playing freshmen now.  Even mighty Alabama yesterday. I think you bigger impact is the other reason you mentioned, being one of only 3 programs in the country that lost a year in the weight room, plus everything that goes along with that like training table, being able to hold entire team meetings in person instead 5 at or time or over zoom, etc.

Except that we are actually starting freshman and not just playing them towards the end of games.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2021 11:54 am
GoN4it liked
FONZ
 FONZ
(@fonz)
Lobo

I like how DG is building this program and not compromising regarding recruiting. Recruiting JUCO-heavy classes is unsustainable and we saw that with Davie.

Now, I do think DG could be more flexible on smaller, in-game situations, but I like the overall philosophy he is implementing into this program.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2021 1:46 pm
LesIsMoore
(@lesismoore)
Lobo
Posted by: @unm-class-of-1972
Posted by: @lesismoore

Except that we are actually starting freshman and not just playing them towards the end of games.

Lobo Football started 10 seniors/ super seniors; 4 on offense, 6 on D, plus seniors at P and PK.  And that number doesn't include guys like Cole that didn't start but have played a lot.  That should be enough to at least be competitive.  In fact looking at the game notes there were 4 Frosh that started; Chavez (RS), Wysong, Dumas and Wilson. Except for Chavez, all are guys that Gonzales has hyped and has made the decision to start ahead of upperclassmen.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2021 1:54 pm
Lobosergei
(@lobosergei)
Pup

Hitting the JUCO ranks may not be the answer but hitting the transfer portal is.  Next year will be just as bad unless we get a major upgrade at QB and Oline

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2021 1:33 pm
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

The sad truth football fans never want to hear.  If you are not one of the anointed few that seem to never have a down year, almost every team that had hit bottom and then recovered to be decent for an extended period did it as you are describing.  Band-aids and the urgency to win 3 or 4 games NOW has doomed FB programs in college & pros (as 60 years as a NY Titans/Jets fan has pummeled into my head).

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2021 12:07 pm
Share: