Forum

Notifications
Clear all

15 Coaches  

Page 1 / 2
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin

There are 357 teams in D-1 basketball or transitioning into D-1.

Every year there are some like Alford at Iowa, Frank Martin at SC that any regular follower of men’s baskets know are “walking the plank”( a description relayed to me by a former UNM ops director).

There are also 15 or so that have a; new AD that didn’t hire them, a Pres that is cracking down on academics in Athletics, a wife that hates the town, a high school child that got suspended for beating up a kid that said your dad can’t coach.... 

These 15 (maybe 5, 10 or 20 just guessing, it’s a pandemic perhaps more) are relatively successful and are looking for a job under the radar. Everyone of them  has an agent everyone’s agent has texted Nunez. UNM basketball WAS a prime job, is still a better than average job, and in a profession that consists primarily of over paid gym teachers most are always looking for the next best thing or security. 

I will know( at least hear) much more by the coming weekend, and have no specific coach in mind but I think the next Lobo coach is someone that doesn’t get a mention until the last day before hiring.

This topic was modified 1 month ago by brooklyn_esq
Topic starter Posted : March 2, 2021 5:18 am
abqpianist, roblips, EPluribusUNM and 13 people liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @brooklyn_esq

I think the next Lobo coach is someone that doesn’t get a mention until the last day before hiring.

It's certainly happened that way before.

I'm kind of glad you see it this way and maybe I'm expecting/hoping for too much, but every coach discussed thus far, at least record-wise, has "warts".

Looking forward to more info as you see it unfold. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Lobo_for_life
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 5:31 am
JulieG and torrez_s liked
CheftroyRD
(@bourbon)
Pup

Soooooo is that a possible Yes on Steve Lavin? Or a No chance on Steve Lavin? #MaryAnnJarou Get it done Eddie 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 7:37 am
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo

Marvin Menzies or Richie McKay... got to be one of those two!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 7:48 am
ThreadKiller
(@threadkiller)
Lobo

I definitely feel it will be someone not really talked about here.

Mckay, Alford, and Wier weren’t even in the public and fan discussion when those jobs opened up. Neal was obviously a much different scenario.

Its fun to speculate but I feel like the coaching hire will be a surprise candidate, good or bad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 7:53 am
Lobodawg92 and JulieG liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @bourbon

Soooooo is that a possible Yes on Steve Lavin? Or a No chance on Steve Lavin?

So you want the cockroach?  😊 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Lobo_for_life
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 8:01 am
Scott liked
CheftroyRD
(@bourbon)
Pup
Posted by: @lobo_for_life

Que? No Entiendo?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 8:35 am
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level

Que? No Entiendo?

That's what they used to call him "back in the day". I think it had something to do with the shape of his hairline.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 9:08 am
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Alpha Lobo
Posted by: @ThreadKiller

Mckay, Alford, and Wier weren’t even in the public and fan discussion when those jobs opened up. Neal was obviously a much different scenario.

Its fun to speculate but I feel like the coaching hire will be a surprise candidate, good or bad.

Beg to differ on Alford.  He was discussed plenty on both the old Lobo Lair and the Red Menace.  As I recall a lot of the commenters were lukewarm on Alford.  Goes to show how little some know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 9:30 am
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Alpha Lobo

@brooklyn_esq: Hope springs eternal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 9:32 am
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

Whoever it is I believe that the fanbase will be excited going into next year.  Go Lobos!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 11:13 am
ThreadKiller
(@threadkiller)
Lobo
Posted by: @digital-lobo
Posted by: @ThreadKiller

Beg to differ on Alford.  He was discussed plenty on both the old Lobo Lair and the Red Menace.  As I recall a lot of the commenters were lukewarm on Alford.  Goes to show how little some know.

As the search got started his name started popping up but before  McKay was gone no one was talking about Alford. 
Its been a while but I don’t remember Alford’s name coming up until toward the end of the process.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 11:16 am
FONZ
 FONZ
(@fonz)
Lobo

What encourages me about this basketball hire is that Eddie Nuñez wants to put his stamp on UNM athletics and basketball is the jewel of the department. Given the state of the Lobo football program, Nuñez hit a home run with Coach Danny Gonzales. I'm optimistic that Nuñez will do whatever he can to bring in a winner.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 11:47 am
Scott, abqpianist, Riches6 and 2 people liked
LoboMarv46
(@duncan46)
Pup

What about Will Brown from Albany who recently parted ways.  5 NCAA appearances with Albany and a 315-295 coaching record.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30985656/will-brown-albany-men-college-basketball-coach-20-years

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:08 pm
Pmixmaster
(@pmixmaster)
Lobo
Posted by: @riches6

Whoever it is I believe that the fanbase will be excited going into next year.  Go Lobos!

not if its tim miles that will be the nail in my coffin

This post was modified 1 month ago by Pmixmaster
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:09 pm
Digital Lobo, NotMyRichie, Riches6 and 1 people liked
BubbaWolf
(@bubbawolf)
Pup

I don't want to jinx anything but I'm pretty confident that it's gonna be the Gonzaga assistant...he would be great for the MWC and he's already doing all the recruiting here and overseas. I think he has 20 years under Coach Few... @brooklyn_esq am I getting warm? I don't want to say his name and jinx myself but I think he's more than ready to take a head coaching job. He's definitely a players coach but not a push over

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:20 pm
LoboBear
(@lobobear)
Pup
Posted by: @bubbawolf

I don't want to jinx anything but I'm pretty confident that it's gonna be the Gonzaga assistant...he would be great for the MWC and he's already doing all the recruiting here and overseas. I think he has 20 years under Coach Few... @brooklyn_esq am I getting warm? I don't want to say his name and jinx myself but I think he's more than ready to take a head coaching job. He's definitely a players coach but not a push over

I thought Eddie Nunez indicated he was looking for a person with head coaching experience? Does this guy fit that need?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:28 pm
Scott liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Alpha Lobo Lobo level

Every year there are some like Alford at Iowa, Frank Martin at SC that any regular follower of men’s baskets know are “walking the plank”( a description relayed to me by a former UNM ops director).

There are also 15 or so that have a; new AD that didn’t hire them, a Pres that is cracking down on academics in Athletics, a wife that hates the town, a high school child that got suspended for beating up a kid that said your dad can’t coach.... 

These 15 (maybe 5, 10 or 20 just guessing, it’s a pandemic perhaps more) are relatively successful and are looking for a job under the radar. Everyone of them  has an agent everyone’s agent has texted Nunez. UNM basketball WAS a prime job, is still a better than average job, and in a profession that consists primarily of over paid gym teachers most are always looking for the next best thing or security. 

I will know( at least hear) much more by the coming weekend, and have no specific coach in mind but I think the next Lobo coach is someone that doesn’t get a mention until the last day before hiring.

This is a very perplexing post.  Of those 15 or so coaches that are not happy in their current situation, if it's a P5 coach they usually have several million reasons to find a temp solution and move forward.  The only one I can think of that might fit this bill is Wayne Tinkle at Oregon State who has not been mentioned here before.  Highly successful at Montana, but not so much at Oregon St.

Here's the rub for me.  UNM is either a primo job or not, based on what budget and type of contract the Regents and UNM admin.  Let's face it, our facilities are top level P5 type facilities.  Not saying top 5, but definitely one of the top 25 facilities in America.  I've been to almost every one in Texas and OK and not impressed with any of them nor would put any of them ahead of the PIT and practice facility. We have one of the top 30 fan bases in America.  The only hold back for UNM is what they budget for the job, period.

Looking for a job "under the radar"???  Isn't our entire goal of hiring the new coach, putting us back on the national map and back into the Top 25 at some point?  Kind of the opposite of under the radar isn't it?

I do know Texas A & M fans are not happy with Buzz Williams and that could fit this category?  He has not been successful there like that fan base thought he would.

I really hope your post is a smokescreen and either Martin or Johnson are introduced at the presser.  Both would be primo fits for the job.

BTW, our 2 most successful coaches in our history, Bliss and Alford, were both "One Step ahead of the posse" type guys.  Seems, we should try getting water from that well again if we can. (Martin, Shaka, Archie, etc)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:28 pm
Riches6 liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Alpha Lobo Lobo level
Posted by: @duncan46

What about Will Brown from Albany who recently parted ways.  5 NCAA appearances with Albany and a 315-295 coaching record.  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30985656/will-brown-albany-men-college-basketball-coach-20-years  

Sounds like he already walked the plank and now in the ocean, lol.

Brookie, seems to be referring to those still "in" their current jobs?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:30 pm
EPluribusUNM
(@epluribusunm)
Lobo

I'm an expert on this, having watched "Jerry Maguire" at least two times!🙂 

• The keyword in the lead post is "Agent."
  • Every coach we can name has one.
  • Agents are a selfish lot and insist on being the ones who pitch/negotiate to ADs (clients by contract keep their mouths shut)
  • Agents make their money when their client is hired.
  • Their favorite phrase is, "Show me the money!"
  • Agents do not send out press releases saying, "Listen up, I've just contacted U of XX to get a job for ___! We'll see."
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:32 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Alpha Lobo Lobo level

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28778780/gonzaga-tommy-lloyd-helped-construct-heir-throne-remarkable-hoops-dynasty

Mark Few is not retiring any time soon.

If there was a "guarantee" that he could build the next Gonzaga in the MWC here, then I would be on board.  AC's are hit and miss though, once away from their flagship U.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:35 pm
LoboBear
(@lobobear)
Pup
Posted by: @txlobo95

This is a very perplexing post.  Of those 15 or so coaches that are not happy in their current situation, if it's a P5 coach they usually have several million reasons to find a temp solution and move forward.  The only one I can think of that might fit this bill is Wayne Tinkle at Oregon State who has not been mentioned here before.  Highly successful at Montana, but not so much at Oregon St.

Here's the rub for me.  UNM is either a primo job or not, based on what budget and type of contract the Regents and UNM admin.  Let's face it, our facilities are top level P5 type facilities.  Not saying top 5, but definitely one of the top 25 facilities in America.  I've been to almost every one in Texas and OK and not impressed with any of them nor would put any of them ahead of the PIT and practice facility. We have one of the top 30 fan bases in America.  The only hold back for UNM is what they budget for the job, period.

Looking for a job "under the radar"???  Isn't our entire goal of hiring the new coach, putting us back on the national map and back into the Top 25 at some point?  Kind of the opposite of under the radar isn't it?

I do know Texas A & M fans are not happy with Buzz Williams and that could fit this category?  He has not been successful there like that fan base thought he would.

I really hope your post is a smokescreen and either Martin or Johnson are introduced at the presser.  Both would be primo fits for the job.

BTW, our 2 most successful coaches in our history, Bliss and Alford, were both "One Step ahead of the posse" type guys.  Seems, we should try getting water from that well again if we can. (Martin, Shaka, Archie, etc)

I know Archie Miller's seat is pretty hot at Indiana, but I read his buyout there is 10.3 million dollars. I think he'd be a great fit here at UNM considering what he did at Dayton, but can Indiana afford to fire him? I know they certainly have some boosters there though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:36 pm
BubbaWolf
(@bubbawolf)
Pup
Posted by: @lobobear

I thought Eddie Nunez indicated he was looking for a person with head coaching experience? Does this guy fit that need?

What Eddie indicated and what Eddie's told are 2 totally different things. My Vote is for him he would rule the MWC he wouldn't be afraid of the alpha coaches like Alford and Rice. It would be a nice fit!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:36 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Alpha Lobo Lobo level

I know Archie Miller's seat is pretty hot at Indiana, but I read his buyout there is 10.3 million dollars. I think he'd be a great fit here at UNM considering what he did at Dayton, but can Indiana afford to fire him? I know they certainly have some boosters there though.

Absolutely.  Their budget for the next coach is supposedly in the 9 million range.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:37 pm
BubbaWolf
(@bubbawolf)
Pup

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28778780/gonzaga-tommy-lloyd-helped-construct-heir-throne-remarkable-hoops-dynasty

Mark Few is not retiring any time soon.

Yes @txlobo95 ...I SAID I DIDN'T WANT TO SAY HIS NAME AND JINX IT!!! I think he's our guy...what do you think?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:39 pm
LoboBear
(@lobobear)
Pup

Absolutely.  Their budget for the next coach is supposedly in the 9 million range.

Yeah. I guess they are really looking at Scott Drew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:40 pm
MannyC
(@mannyc)
Apex Lobo

Hopefully we get a coach that's been successful at a Blue Blood school/conference. No more frog kissing!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 12:42 pm
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

I do not want another assistant coach.  I know Weir had one successful year as head coach at NMSU but that was with Menzie players (kind of like Neal's first year).  No more assistants.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Riches6
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 1:29 pm
MannyC liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level

Don't know what you're remembering about Bliss, but no "posse" was chasing him. He was successful at SMU, especially after his first couple of years. His issues had something to do with being worried that the NCAA had given the FB program the "death penalty" and how it might affect his hoops program. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 2:15 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Alpha Lobo Lobo level

Don't know what you're remembering about Bliss, but no "posse" was chasing him. He was successful at SMU, especially after his first couple of years. His issues had something to do with being worried that the NCAA had given the FB program the "death penalty" and how it might affect his hoops program. 

You really think the FB program was cheating but the TOP 10 MBB program was clean as a whistle? 🙄 🙄 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 4:10 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: