Notifications
Clear all

JB White Santa Fe Skipping Senior Season  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
TheLoboMan
(@TheLoboMan)
Lobo

JB White is saying he will graduate fr high school this summer and enroll at UNM. 

Says he feels unappreciated at Santa Fe High School.  Said he worked to hard not to get recognized by the school and such.  

Story in Santa Fe New Mexican. 

I will leave here with no comment. 

Posted : May 23, 2020 8:05 am
txlobo95 liked
NMFANINOKC
(@nmfaninokc)

Man kids today.... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 8:11 am
808LOBO liked
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin

He would probably need to walk on and redshirt this year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 8:18 am
wolf1960, loborick, howler and 1 people liked
PackLobo23
(@packlobo23)
Pack Leader

@nmfaninokc

It sounds like some parents these days. 17 year olds don't reach that kind of conclusion on their own...
now lets consider what he is doing... graduating early in order to get to college. A non-athlete would be commended for that.   

This post was modified 7 months ago by PackLobo23
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 8:49 am
MRLobo, NMLobos, Riches6 and 10 people liked
DAshroom34
(@dashroom34)
Josh

Not going to lie, if he was having a hard time in Santa Fe with random fans texting him talking ish, he may have a hard time here too... Not that it's okay or anything like that, but there has been a vocal minority of fans who have destroyed our players on social media. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 9:49 am
Lobo2x53 liked
Duke
 Duke
(@duke)
Lobo
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @brooklyn_esq

That would be the ideal scenario, especially considering, we dont know if there will be a season or could be an abbreviated one.  JB would be able to practice with team and get nutrition table to gain weight/muscle which would be more beneficial than a sr year at hs.  Also be able to work with trainer on a regular basis.

However, we did finish the season with a 4-12 record, so there are plenty of holes to fill.  Our holes are mainly upfront though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 10:22 am
BAD DAWG and hippyboi liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level

Have a Matos year. Redshirt, study, and practice with the team. It may not be bad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 10:23 am
BAD DAWG and 808LOBO liked
AbqLobo1
(@abqlobo1)
Pup

I like it. It's not like he's dropping out of high school.  He's graduating so what's the big deal. This is 2020. Let's get him here and integrated into the Lobo program sooner. He can start working out with the team and honing his skills as a  Lobo. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 10:47 am
BAD DAWG, MRLobo, ComeOnNow and 4 people liked
NMFANINOKC
(@nmfaninokc)

Bad decision 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 11:47 am
808LOBO and Duke liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader Customer, Registered, Lobo level

lets see what happens before before opining wihtout knowing the facts and before we say something that is harmful.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 12:36 pm
ricoLobo
(@ricolobo)
Lobo Lobo level
Posted by: @nmfaninokc

Bad decision 

Mr. Positivity weighs in again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 12:39 pm
Hoser
(@hoser)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @txlobo95
Posted by: @brooklyn_esq

That would be the ideal scenario, especially considering, we dont know if there will be a season or could be an abbreviated one.  JB would be able to practice with team and get nutrition table to gain weight/muscle which would be more beneficial than a sr year at hs.  Also be able to work with trainer on a regular basis.

However, we did finish the season with a 4-12 record, so there are plenty of holes to fill.  Our holes are mainly upfront though.

If he is not on scholarship, I don't think he gets the benefits that scholarship players get.  He could certainly practice with the team but I think that might be it.  Room and board would be on him as well as tuition.  I don't think Wier has an open scholarship for next season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 1:05 pm
NMFANINOKC
(@nmfaninokc)
Posted by: @ricolobo

Bad decision 

Mr. Positivity weighs in again.

Just an opinion man, if you don’t like it move on... This program has been filled with 2nd and 3rd chance kids, now we get one that either his parents or him think he is not the center of attention. Gets old, just want to enjoy a season without so much drama.. When did this site become a place where an honest option results in negativity? Just saying, I think it’s a bad choice. I have seen this path many times, has not turned out well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 2:44 pm
wolf1960, UNM Class of1972, Hoser and 2 people liked
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin

Don’t know much about JB’s academics, seems pretty cool he has his school work progressed to the point he graduated early.

Basketball -wise playing the comp on the SantaFe’s schedule is, well not top shelf for a top 100 player.

What little  I know about his situation I am pretty confident his out of pocket to attend UNM is low or zero.

Practicing with the team and training for a season, that’s a coach’s dream. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 3:28 pm
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

I'm impressed he is graduating early and as stated above Coach Weir gets an extra year (assuming he would not have redshirted next year) to acclimate him to D1 and the UNM program.  I'm good with all of that.  The only part that doesn't sound good is that the "fans didn't appreciate him."  Oh well, I'll overlook that as 17 year old immaturity.   Otherwise,  it is all good!

This post was modified 7 months ago by Riches6
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 5:15 pm
lobofan13 liked
jdw
 jdw
(@jdw)
Lobo Lobo level

Brook makes a good point. What does he gain by staying another year? I like NM high school ball, but it is not in the least bit challenging for a D1-quality athlete. Also, keep in mind he's lost a summer of travel-ball. That fact alone makes his decision viable.

That said, I don't really like the way he went about it. The "unappreciated" comment wan't necessary and burned some bridges for him in his hometown. Thanking SFHS for his education and moving on would have been a better way to go, but I'm 56 and not a highly regarded 17-year old BB player. As a certainty, we haven't heard the entire story either.

However it plays out, good luck to him. Graduating in three years is a credit to Mr. White. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 5:23 pm
lobofan13, brooklyn_esq, loboman and 3 people liked
TheLoboMan
(@TheLoboMan)
Lobo

The problem is the way he goes about things. 

First he blames someone for not getting enough recognition. I don't know what he expected when he did give great effort. 

Second he doesn't tell his coach of his decision. 

Third not many Santa Fe high school fans are disappointed. 

Fourth he has a problem with throwing tantrums and getting tee'd up. 

And his Saga continues. 

Weir hasn't made a decision on this. There are no scholarships available so he would have to pay his own way. He would be extremely limited in what he could do cause if he doesn't have a scholarship he could be offered by other schools. 

Once he starts classes the clock for his eligibility starts. He's not a one and done type player. Do you want a walk-on redshirting if he is a 4 year player??  

Would UNM have honored his commitment after playing the summer circuit this summer. I haven't seen any improvement in his summer play from two years ago to last. He's got to mature physically or his practicing with the tram is useless. 

But if he is hurt by recognition now what is it going to be like when he is a role player???  

I agree that @NMFANINOKC is a negative Nancy. But I agree with him on this. Bad Decision. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 5:38 pm
BAD DAWG and torrez_s liked
UNMerciful_1
(@unmerciful_1)
Pack Leader Lobo level

I think this is a great decision on his part.  You don't get better by playing inferior competition.  You get better by playing and practicing against those who are at or above your level.  In addition he gets access to a college weight and nutrition program which has to be leaps and bounds better than he would receive at SFHS.  The only criticism one can make is that the way he went about it could have been handled much better.  That's fair.  I'll chalk that up to him being 17 years old.  Basketball wise this is a great decision.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 6:04 pm
lobofan13, BobOso, abqpianist and 1 people liked
Chris
(@chris)
Pup Lobo level

Bad decision 

No, it’s a great decision because it’s what he And his family want.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 6:18 pm
pablo
(@pablo)
Lobo

I'm impressed that he may graduate early from SFHS. The last I heard their graduation rate was below 50%! 

As far as the rest goes, I do have some concerns. If I was Weir, I'd welcome him to redshirt this season and then be on scholarship the following season, as planned. He could possibly get a lottery scholarship for this season. If someone leaves, I still wouldn't offer him a scholarship for this season, as we need it for a big, and JB is not physically ready. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 6:18 pm
NMFANINOKC
(@nmfaninokc)
Posted by: @chris

Bad decision 

Entitlement,,,, todays world 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 6:23 pm
BobOso liked
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Lobo Registered

The 1 time I saw him play I was not overly impressed with his game. To be fair I would like to see him play against better talent. Physically he is not ready for college yet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 6:32 pm
BAD DAWG liked
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

Needs to mature. A redshirt year could do him good. The new roster has some junkyard dog types who can help toughen him up in practice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 7:18 pm
wolf1960, UNM Class of1972, BAD DAWG and 1 people liked
BobOso
(@boboso)
Lobo

A kid who just rehabbed from an injury, that has to get stronger and more mature? This technically is a great move, playing more games against Capital and Espanola wouldn't prepare him for D1 yet he would risk another injury. I wish he would've handled it different but shows he still has to mature. Football players graduate early all the time to beef up and get ready for Spring ball although after their season. Bottom line, he has nothing to gain by playing another year at that level. Most dudes on this board could get minutes in that district.

I see no issues except that Weir hasn't proved to have any discipline on his team and you have what seems a hot head leaving his parents a year early. What could go wrong ?

This post was modified 7 months ago 2 times by BobOso
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 8:18 pm
loboman
(@loboman)
Lobo
Posted by: @TheLoboMan

The problem is the way he goes about things. 

First he blames someone for not getting enough recognition. I don't know what he expected when he did give great effort. 

Second he doesn't tell his coach of his decision. 

Third not many Santa Fe high school fans are disappointed. 

Fourth he has a problem with throwing tantrums and getting tee'd up. 

And his Saga continues. 

Weir hasn't made a decision on this. There are no scholarships available so he would have to pay his own way. He would be extremely limited in what he could do cause if he doesn't have a scholarship he could be offered by other schools. 

Once he starts classes the clock for his eligibility starts. He's not a one and done type player. Do you want a walk-on redshirting if he is a 4 year player??  

Would UNM have honored his commitment after playing the summer circuit this summer. I haven't seen any improvement in his summer play from two years ago to last. He's got to mature physically or his practicing with the tram is useless. 

But if he is hurt by recognition now what is it going to be like when he is a role player???  

I agree that @NMFANINOKC is a negative Nancy. But I agree with him on this. Bad Decision. 

I have an issue with your third point.  How do you know not many SFHS fans are disappointed?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 8:58 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @chris

Bad decision 

Entitlement,,,, todays world 

Sorry, I can look past your posts of "it's a bad decision", but to now call the kid "entitled", because he is able to graduate HS a year early, which the coaching staff and other schools were already aware of. 

If this were a 15 year old that was graduating HS early, we would all applaud him/her for getting their academics completed early.  You equate that to being entitled?  I equate that to a kid having his sh&t together academically and being able to get done before most and is there really anything else he can prove in HS?

It's time to start his preparation for a pro career, which means, hard work in the classroom and weight room and have a great work ethic that will eventually lead to a pro contract.  Will he mature during this time, like most of us did during that same time frame?  Sure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 9:01 pm
BAD DAWG and Chris liked
junebug_lobo
(@junebug_lobo)
Pup

Not sure if I would label it a bad decision. It's the diva-like attitude in making the decision that bothers me.

I know plenty of talented kids that stick it through average or even awful high school coaching just to represent their school and community because most of these top tier players are getting their real coaching, exposure and experience from their respective club teams.

Hope it all works out though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 9:27 pm
LaVidaLobo
(@lavidalobo)
Lobo

Entitlement is a two way street. You can't judge an 18 year old kid and blast him without sounding like you're entitled yourself. Geez.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 9:30 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Alpha Lobo

JMO, but I think that this is a plus, not a minus.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 10:42 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: