Jerry Pimm

Notifications
Clear all

Jerry Pimm

zoom
 zoom
(@zoom)
Illustrious Member

Played golf yesterday at Indian Canyon in Spokane and my foursome included Mike and Jerry from Santa Barbara. Jerry looked at my Lobo hat and said, “New Mexico Lobos. I’m Jerry Pimm.”(former Utah Ute basketball coach from the 70’s). Traded stories about the old days and how good the WAC was in those days. Said he had Michael Cooper locked up and Norm stole him away. In the foursome behind us was another old guy who started booing. Turned out to be an Aggie alum. Was a good day.

Topic starter Posted : August 26, 2022 9:23 am
Altakaia, Lobodude, Desert_Wolf and 53 people reacted
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Illustrious Member

He was a great coach at Utah. He decided to go to a smaller conference and enjoy the beauty and layback lifestyle of Santa Barbara. He has his priorities straight. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2022 12:33 pm
loboss, Doublealum, loboss and 5 people reacted
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Famed Member

Great Coach at Utah. Those were some heated battles with Utah when he was coaching. Glad to see he is still around and active playing golf.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2022 12:40 pm
Doublealum, Doublealum, Doublealum and 1 people reacted
torrez_s
(@torrez_s)

Yes, We always had good games with Utah. Pimm and Majeras were classic games.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2022 2:01 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

From my recollection Majerus and Pimm were the two best Utah hoops coaches since I started following Lobo b-ball back in the Bob King days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2022 3:42 pm
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Illustrious Member

72-73 season ….

Ranked Lobos with Daryl Minnifield and Bernard Hardin leading the way ….

swept Utah which was led by Luther “Ticky” Burden and Mike Sojourner 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2022 3:55 pm
loboray reacted
loboss
(@loboss)
Noble Member

Pimm was a class act. Back when Moose and Bear were commonly seen in the Pit.  I recall his Stroman, Hendrix, and Upshaw Ute team taking it to North Carolina in the Tournament losing only when an injured Stroman fouled out. Great WAC memories.

This post was modified 1 month ago by loboss
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 27, 2022 12:46 pm
Lobodude
(@lobodude)
Illustrious Member

Zoom, that is an excellent day. And I don’t even like golf. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2022 12:11 am
Lobolouie1
(@lobolouie1)
Estimable Member

I remember going to some of the Lobo Utah games at the Pit when Pimm was the Utah coach.  The message board would say it is so loud you could hear a Pimm drop!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2022 1:49 am
AustinTLobo
(@austintlobo)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @zoom

Played golf yesterday at Indian Canyon in Spokane and my foursome included Mike and Jerry from Santa Barbara. Jerry looked at my Lobo hat and said, “New Mexico Lobos. I’m Jerry Pimm.”(former Utah Ute basketball coach from the 70’s). Traded stories about the old days and how good the WAC was in those days. Said he had Michael Cooper locked up and Norm stole him away. In the foursome behind us was another old guy who started booing. Turned out to be an Aggie alum. Was a good day.

Jerry Pimm could have been the last coach to coach the Utah Redskins now the Utah Utes.  Good coach as I recall.  You had a good day I'd say!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2022 10:50 am
VTwin
(@vtwin)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @zoom

So who was the villain Aggie in your story?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2022 8:54 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Illustrious Member

Thursday, February 23, 1978 - A day that will live in Lobo infamy.

That was the day, rather that was the evening that the 5th ranked Lobos were upset by the Jerry Pimm-led Utah Utes in the Huntsman Center.  If the Lobos had won that game, they would have been the only team in WAC or the MWC for that matter to finish the season with an undefeated record in conference play.  As it was, they finished with a 13-1 conference record. Still not too shabby.

https://newmexico.rivals.com/news/a-blast-from-the-past-the-1977-78-lobos-part-6

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2022 11:43 am
Scott reacted
Scott
(@Scott)
Illustrious Member

@digital-lobo

Wasn't there another game during that era when the Utes beat us by letting the air out of the ball. They won 36-34 or something like that? Or am I remembering that incorrectly...?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2022 3:54 pm
zoom
 zoom
(@zoom)
Illustrious Member

@vtwin 

didn’t get the villain’s name as we were on the tee box and he was in the next group 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 27, 2022 3:41 am
Riches6
(@riches6)
Illustrious Member

Ah yes......Jerry Pimm.  What a great coach.  I remember the old WAC days with great fondness!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2022 8:24 am
Scott reacted
Scott
(@Scott)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @riches6

Ah yes......Jerry Pimm.  What a great coach.  I remember the old WAC days with great fondness!

Yes! Things were less complicated then it seems....

Go Lobos.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2022 9:49 am