Lobos vs UAB game t...

Notifications
Clear all

Lobos vs UAB game thread

Page 4 / 5
RENOLOBO
(@renolobo)
Posted by: @lobomaniac2018

Big improvement. Last yearsteam would have lost by 30 against UAB. This is a very young team.learnimg and growing.

great point if the learn from this.  usf should beat towson.  hope the lobos take out their frustration out on the next opponent 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 7:42 pm
Scott liked
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo
Posted by: @renolobo

todd really struggled as did house.  wonder why jenkins and saquan never came back in the game.

the game was about turnovers and rebounds and house trying to do too much.  in the end the better, more experienced team won.

the officials were good.  they did not decide the game.

lobos were schooled today.  hope they learned 

People always want to blame the PG on this board. House hardly took any shots at all for 2/3 of the game due to being hacked relentlessly when he tried to do anything. That was UAB's strategy. It worked because of the garbage officiating. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 7:45 pm
geauxlobos1
(@geauxlobos1)
Pup

Let’s not be overly critical. We are far outpacing expectations. We competed against another good team. I don’t think it’s far fetched to say that the Lobos are a top 120 team — which is much better than anyone thought before the year started. With some experience we could easily win these ones late. I’m happy to see the progress. Let’s not pretend that last year we would have even been in that game. We’d likely be down 15+ in the first half alone. The rebuild is in process. Go Lobos!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 7:48 pm
docmmm
(@docmmm)
Pup
Posted by: @geauxlobos1

Let’s not be overly critical. We are far outpacing expectations. We competed against another good team. I don’t think it’s far fetched to say that the Lobos are a top 120 team — which is much better than anyone thought before the year started. With some experience we could easily win these ones late. I’m happy to see the progress. Let’s not pretend that last year we would have even been in that game. We’d likely be down 15+ in the first half alone. The rebuild is in process. Go Lobos!

Not even close to #120, YET. Lobos went from #260 in KenPom to #253 after the UAB loss. Vegas had them as 12 pt. underdogs to UAB and they lost by 13. They are who they are, at least for now.

This post was modified 4 days ago 3 times by docmmm
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 7:55 pm
RENOLOBO
(@renolobo)
Posted by: @pitforever90

todd really struggled as did house.  wonder why jenkins and saquan never came back in the game.

the game was about turnovers and rebounds and house trying to do too much.  in the end the better, more experienced team won.

People always want to blame the PG on this board. House hardly took any shots at all for 2/3 of the game due to being hacked relentlessly when he tried to do anything. That was UAB's strategy. It worked because of the garbage officiating. 

what game were you watching?  mash and house both put up 15 shots each.  check the box score.  i didn’t blame house for the loss. it was a team effort.

i said house tried to do too much. when you do that, often times it takes you out of your game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 7:58 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

He struggled against Montana St. also, before the ankle injury, because they pressured some. It can't always be the officiating. The guy needs to learn to play in control better at times. He's got great speed and can shoot, but he often over-dribbles and tries to make hero plays against bigger athletes in the lane. Nothing that isn't correctable, though, with proper critique and adjustments.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:01 pm
docmmm
(@docmmm)
Pup

8-4 going into conference wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. That would mean at least one W against New Mexico State or SMU. They then start off Conference with 6 difficult games in a row. If they can come out of the 2nd Colorado State game no worse than 10-8 or 9-9, they'll have a good season. If it's closer to 7-11, it will be a long season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:11 pm
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo

what game were you watching?  mash and house both put up 15 shots each.  check the box score.  i didn’t blame house for the loss. it was a team effort.

i said house tried to do too much. when you do that, often times it takes you out of your game.

Agreed. I like House, but he has to play under control. He can be a-bit hellter skelter at times. Seems to move too fast for his own good. Needs to slow down and. See the entire court like Mashburn does. If you can do that, he’ll be much better.

And once again, our lack of size really showed up again. We need to get bigger in the paint for any kind of success this season.

And USF or Townson, will he a handful for the Lobos tomorrow. All they have to do is look at how UAB handles us. Pressure our guards and clog the paint. We’ll be hard pressed again tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:11 pm
ThrowinBos
(@throwinupbos)
Lobo

UAB was called for 23 fouls, Lobos only 16. I thought the refs were kind to us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:13 pm
geauxlobos1
(@geauxlobos1)
Pup
Posted by: @docmmm

Not even close to #120, YET. Lobos went from #260 in KenPom to #253 after the UAB loss. Vegas had them as 12 pt. underdogs to UAB and they lost by 13. They are who they are, at least for now.

I disagree vehemently. I don’t think there are 120 teams that could beat us. Or put this way, I don’t think there are 120 teams that could beat us in a 5 game series. I’m not concerned with Kenpom as it’s not remotely accurate yet. Again, there’s not 120 teams better than the Lobos. We’re competing with top 65 teams — that’s a good sign. Now we have some players coming back and with a little more experience we might be beating those teams. Definitely near 120 or better. Go Lobos!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:18 pm
geauxlobos1
(@geauxlobos1)
Pup
Posted by: @docmmm

It’s also worth mentioning that simply judging a team by the final score is a poor way of determining how good a team is. Take the Colorado game for example — we competed until the final 2 minutes, but if you looked at the final score you wouldn’t think so. We competed here until the last 6 minutes as well. The final score is a bit deceptive. As I stated before, we’re competing against top 65 teams, that’s not a characteristic of a team below 120. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:25 pm
jdw
 jdw
(@jdw)
Lobo Lobo level

I'll just repost my MWCBoard comments here, saves typing. 😎 

Ok, back from the arena at the Hard Roc...ok, the Virgin (and how weird is that). 

House is a problem, but not necessarily in the way you point out. He does have his moments of hero ball, but more importantly, he's their heart and soul. When he's confident, team plays reasonably well. When he panics, as he did in the last 5? Game over. 

Entire squad seems to have forgotten Mashburn at the end. He is simply the best player on the team and needs touches. A lot of that is on House, but not all. 

Personnel wise the truth is UNM is playing without a 5. Muscadin, et al. are natural 4's. Jump shooters all of them and it shows. There's not a lot of battling going on down low. Strangely enough, UAB didn't take a lot of advantage of it. I'd of posted 55 til someone could stop him.

Learning experience, and another set of data points for Pitino. This isn't a Weir team. They're not going to contend for the title this year, but they'll win their share and cause at least one contender some heartache. On to tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:35 pm
hippyboi liked
olivejay11
(@olivejay11)
Pup

@pitforever90 

If you need the officuals to be perfect then you are not a good basketball team. When you are out rebounded by 13, have 10 plus live ball turnovers you don't deserve to win . People never seem to complain about officiating after a win. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:41 pm
hippyboi, Doublealum, MannyC and 1 people liked
olivejay11
(@olivejay11)
Pup

@pitforever90 

Good teams and players play through bad calls and adversity good programs never seem to blame the officiating (that goes for the fan base) hold yourself and the team to a higher standard. The lobos missed 10 plus free throws and got outrebounded by 10 plus I do t think the refs had anything to do with that. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:45 pm
jdw
 jdw
(@jdw)
Lobo Lobo level

Officiating wasn't that bad. Loosened up second half both ways, which drove each coach bonkers.

UAB coach is a whiner. It was funny watching him continuously work the officials to no avail.

One thing I guess the cameras missed. On the House scrum in front of the UAB bench, Jalen stood up and kicked the scorer's table, actually moving one end. Officials let that ride. 

Officiating didn't lose the game, panic did.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 8:47 pm
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

Thoughts:

Jaelen did force it way too much and it cost us, but he didn't cost us the game by himself. He did have several key plays mixed in with the errors...

Mash is the steady force this team needs to follow. Damn good game for him. We failed to get him the ball down the stretch, give some credit to UAB's Defense, the rest is on the Lobos.

My guess is that Saquan wasn't in late because he's a liability at the line. After tonight I'm inclined to say take the risk and keep him in there.

This team is early in its stages of development. The least cohesive team lost tonight. Not unexpected for a team of new players that's playing only its 6th game together.

UAB plays some damn substantial Defense. Give them credit for that. We actually handled it a good amount of time. The times we didn't handle it kicked our butt.

JJ with another good game outside of a couple of unwise plays under pressure. He has improved a ton.

I agree UAB does lots of pushing and grabbing etc. Borderline dirty play, Might have gotten in a couple of our guys head....? Either way...

I am not disappointed, just wish we hadn't melted down the stretch. We coulda' had this game close late, but alas we didn't and it'll be okay. This team is fun to get behind. Lots of good basketball ahead.

Go Lobos

This post was modified 4 days ago 2 times by Scott
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 9:13 pm
BrutusXXX, howler, JulieG and 2 people liked
Lobodawg92
(@lobodawg92)
Pack Leader

@Scott 

I agree with most of what you say. House struggled a bit, but I still love the guy and his effort.  I am not disappointed with this team. Our main weakness is inside play and depth. Overall, I really like watching these guys and their unselfish play. I think the wins will come. 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 9:52 pm
Scott, howler and JulieG liked
LoboBear
(@lobobear)
Pup
Posted by: @jdw

Officiating wasn't that bad. Loosened up second half both ways, which drove each coach bonkers.

UAB coach is a whiner. It was funny watching him continuously work the officials to no avail.

One thing I guess the cameras missed. On the House scrum in front of the UAB bench, Jalen stood up and kicked the scorer's table, actually moving one end. Officials let that ride. 

It happened pretty much in front of me. Jalen kicked over the trash can sitting between the scorer's table and the UAB bench and the officials didn't bother to "T" him up for it.

I actually thought the officiating was very fair.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 10:36 pm
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Alpha Lobo

This may sound weird, but I kind of feel like we had no right to have Saquan playing tonight.  I only say that because a few weeks ago, when it was reported that he was having heart issues, I had assumed the worst - i.e. that his playing days were behind him.

All things considered, he played great considering that he has been out of commission for a while and his first game back was against a team like UAB, who in my opinion was a very tough opponent and one that the Lobos went toe-to-toe with for the majority of the game.

I am not surprised that Saq was off on his free-throw shooting.  I was more surprised how with how he battled and what a difference-maker that he was.   Without him on the court tonight I am not sure that the Lobos could have hung so close for a long as they did.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2021 11:49 pm
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo
Posted by: @jdw

UAB coach complains to the officials because fouling is their main defensive strategy. And it works. 23 fouls is a joke relative to how much contact there is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 6:46 am
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo
Posted by: @Scott

UAB plays some damn substantial Defense. Give them credit for that.

Go Lobos

Lobos shot 47% from the field. UAB hacked UNM's guards a lot in the front court, but weren't anything special defensively. I'll give UAB credit for offensive rebounding + Jelly Walker on their roster. Other than that? Nope. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 6:50 am
Hoser
(@hoser)
Pack Leader

Singleton had a decent stat line and played well after sitting out for an extended period, but OMG he has to find a way to improve his FT shooting.  I will admit he has never been a good FT shooter but he needs to work really hard at improving at the line.  If he can do that I think he will be a big asset for this team.  PRACTICE YOUR FTs SS PLEASE.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 7:18 am
howler and ThrowinBos liked
ThrowinBos
(@throwinupbos)
Lobo
Posted by: @hoser

Singleton had a decent stat line and played well after sitting out for an extended period, but OMG he has to find a way to improve his FT shooting.  I will admit he has never been a good FT shooter but he needs to work really hard at improving at the line.  If he can do that I think he will be a big asset for this team.  PRACTICE YOUR FTs SS PLEASE.

I agree and I hoped he had worked on it in the off-season. Those people who say he had an off-night from the line, or use the excuse that it was his first game back must not remember how awful he was at free throws last year. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 7:49 am
hippyboi, Altakaia, BrutusXXX and 1 people liked
Bradpal
(@bradpal)
Lobo Lobo level

@pitforever90 it wasn’t the officiating. UAB was a physical, good defensive team. Lobos better figure out how to play against good defense if they want to compete in conference. 

Whining about the officiating is a losers mentality. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 7:58 am
LoboMike, hippyboi, Lobodawg92 and 1 people liked
Bluedevils12
(@Bluedevils12)
Lobo
Posted by: @bradpal

@pitforever90 it wasn’t the officiating. UAB was a physical, good defensive team. Lobos better figure out how to play against good defense if they want to compete in conference. 

Agreed. CSU and SD State play defense just like UAB. Probably good for the Lobos that they saw it last night.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 8:04 am
Scott and BrutusXXX liked
Lobodawg92
(@lobodawg92)
Pack Leader

I actually like the way the game was reffed.  While I agree, it is fouling,  it is not called in the ncaa tourney either, and this kind of game teaches the kids how to play through it. 

Overall, I enjoyed the game, just hate losing. We have got to rebound better. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 10:11 am
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @Scott

UAB plays some damn substantial Defense. Give them credit for that.

Go Lobos

Lobos shot 47% from the field. UAB hacked UNM's guards a lot in the front court, but weren't anything special defensively. I'll give UAB credit for offensive rebounding + Jelly Walker on their roster. Other than that? Nope. 

They caused us to try and stay calm under intense pressure, we had a number of turnovers or bad shots due to that and we could never grasp any momentum as a result. House may have gotten hacked but he also forced things a lot and that played into UAB's hands. And we can't count on refs. If we're able to earn our way into post season play we'll like face more play like that and will have to learn to adapt.

Good news is there's lots of time to get better and mature. I have no doubt we'll get better.

On House, he's a fine player and will help us win a lot of games. He'll learn and mature and it's going to be fun to watch it happen.

Go Lobos.

This post was modified 2 days ago by Scott
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 10:34 am
AustinTLobo
(@austintlobo)
Lobo

No Panic here, the Lobos are a work-in-progress.  Take-aways so far this season. 

• I think House will face double-teams from opponents until he proves he won't turn the ball over and/or he's able to make other teams pay by finding the open shooter. 
  • The offense looks "congested."  Every interior pass is contested and too many times these passes end in an empty possession.  I do not see a lot of offensive movement without the ball from anyone (except Singleton yesterday).  The Lobos need more off the ball movement from Jenkins and Johnson (Todd too) especially when House or Mashburn are being targeted with the double team.   
  • Singleton can help this team.  He's as active and he positions himself well for success.  Stating the obvious here, but once he's in game shape and the rust come off his free-throw stroke he'll become another offensive threat and someone teams will have to account for.  He should help the defense tremendously come MWC time.  He was impressive yesterday. 
  • The nonconference schedule has been very good for the growth of the Lobos.  The Lobos have been in every game.  Townson is a winnable game but the Lobos are fragile so anything goes. 
  • The first 8 conference games will be tough because teams are playing well and most of them have a potential 1st team All-conference candidate.  CSU (David Roddy), @Nevada (Sherfield) Utah State (Bean), @UNLV (Bryce Hamilton), SDSU (Matt Bradley, Keyshad Johnson), @CSU, @ WYO , and Fresno (Orlando Robinson).  Tough task until SJSU.  Where do your wins come in the first 8 game?   
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 11:10 am
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo
Posted by: @bradpal

I'll repeat this point: Lobos shot 47% for the game and were above 50% for the majority of it. Announcers mentioned how high of a percentage they were shooting multiple times. IMO, that means UAB's blitzing/trapping in the front court was their only effective means of playing defense against UNM. And again, UAB's coach constantly worked the officiating crew in the game, so I guess he has a loser mentality as well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 11:31 am
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo
Posted by: @austintlobo

I think House will face double-teams from opponents until he proves he won't turn the ball over and/or he's able to make other teams pay by finding the open shooter.

UNM may need to get the bigs into the front court/back court for screens that the guards can use to defeat some of the blitzing/trapping. That's something the Lobos haven't really done much of so far. Maybe they're not good enough at it yet. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 11:40 am
Page 4 / 5
Share: