lobo81
(@lobo81)
Pack Leader Registered, Lobo level

Sorry if this was already posted...

Topic starter Posted : January 13, 2021 2:26 pm
boingee
(@boingee)
Lobo

is this in response to coach wanting to play the freshman the rest of the way?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 2:53 pm
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @lobo81

Nice tweet from McGee. I wish the kid good luck and happiness.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:00 pm
abqpianist, wolf1960, hippyboi and 5 people liked
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

Ouch. Well, this team has pretty much no outside shooting now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:10 pm
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin
Posted by: @boingee

No.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:11 pm
lobo watcher, wolf1960, JulieG and 1 people liked
Farside-Lobo
(@farside-lobo)
Lobo

Good luck to Keith.  Wishing him the best.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:13 pm
lobo watcher, abqpianist, wolf1960 and 1 people liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader Customer, Registered, Lobo level

dont know what to think - dont want to just idly speculate - just going to take his words at face value & hope for the best for him and the team.     

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:16 pm
lobo watcher, abqpianist, wolf1960 and 3 people liked
Bradpal
(@bradpal)
Lobo Lobo level

Chance of others doing the same? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:31 pm
ricoLobo
(@ricolobo)
Lobo Lobo level

Can't really blame him with what a shi*t storm this season has been.

He’ll, it’s been so ugly I haven’t even been able to watch. I can’t imagine how mentally drained everybody in the program must be  

Wonder if the dominoes will start to fall.

This post was modified 6 days ago by ricoLobo
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:32 pm
AbqLobo1
(@abqlobo1)
Pup

Good move by McGee. The dominoes are starting to fall for a major change soon.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 3:41 pm
boingee
(@boingee)
Lobo
Posted by: @abqlobo1

Good move by McGee. The dominoes are starting to fall for a major change soon.  

one can only hope for a major change.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 4:08 pm
ChairESilver
(@ChairESilver)
Lobo

Translation....transfer portal

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 4:11 pm
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

Sorry to see him go. Wish him the best. And yes, really nice, sincere Twitter post.

Good Luck Keith.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 4:25 pm
BAD DAWG, lobo watcher, abqpianist and 2 people liked
ThrowinBos
(@throwinupbos)
Lobo

Entirely understandable, given what this team has been through. Im honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner and I'd expect others to follow. The uncertainty surrounding where their next game will be played, and living in isolation away from home has certainly taken a toll.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 4:43 pm
NightWolf
(@nightwolf)
Lobo Registered, Lobo level

Can't say that I don't blame him either.  Seems as if this program has fallen to the depths of which we haven't seen around here in many, many years. 

You can blame MLG for part of it,  but eventually the majority of the blame has to fall on coach Weir. What player wants to come to a school and be a part if a losing program?

Coach has to go. There's really nothing left for him here.

This post was modified 6 days ago by NightWolf
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 5:18 pm
MaxLobo
(@maxlobo)
Posted by: @Scott

Sorry to see him go. Wish him the best. And yes, really nice, sincere Twitter post.

Good Luck Keith.

I’m totally fine with his decision.....but ‘sincere’?    Somehow I don’t think ‘health and safety’ are really primary factors.   Regardless, we will miss his help on this young and inexperienced team.   Good luck to him in future endeavors.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 5:37 pm
Hoser
(@hoser)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @unm-class-of-1972

Nice tweet from McGee. I wish the kid good luck and happiness.

He was always one of my favorite players.  I don't think Weir gave him a fair chance to make an impact.  Not sure if that played into his decision but I will miss him.  Hope this isn't the start of the flood gates opening.

This post was modified 6 days ago 3 times by Hoser
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 6:01 pm
Lobo94 liked
lobo watcher
(@lobo-watcher)
Pup

It’s due to the challenge of trying to have a basketball season during the Covid pandemic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 6:20 pm
wolf1960 liked
LoboD85
(@lobod85)
Pup
Posted by: @maxlobo
Posted by: @Scott

Good Luck Keith.

I’m totally fine with his decision.....but ‘sincere’?    Somehow I don’t think ‘health and safety’ are really primary factors.   Regardless, we will miss his help on this young and inexperienced team.   Good luck to him in future endeavors.  

It’s not our place to say. Mental well-being cannot be ignored and if he says it’s an issue, we must trust it’s an issue. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 6:23 pm
BAD DAWG, JayMarkE, JulieG and 3 people liked
boingee
(@boingee)
Lobo
Posted by: @lobo-watcher

It’s due to the challenge of trying to have a basketball season during the Covid pandemic.

its due to a coach who doesn't have a clue on any sort of rotation that establishes some flow on offense and defense. it's due to the same coach who put a leash on this guy who can actually put the ball in the hoop and comes off the bench.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 6:25 pm
hippyboi and Lobo94 liked
Lobo94
(@lobo94)
Pup

Well this totally sucks. I really liked McGee's energy that he brought to the game. I too don't think PW ever really gave him a shot for some reason. Unfortunately, I have a feeling this is just the beginning. I have never been this disenchanted with Lobo Basketball in my life. I feel for the players and don't hold any of them responsible for how this season is going. Unless MLG is in charge of teaching them how to pass, shoot, play defense and run an offense I don't hold her responsible either. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 6:43 pm
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

And so it begins.  Losing does this and it will continue.   Remember McKay's last season. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 8:21 pm
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

And so it begins.  Losing does this and it will continue.   Remember McKay's last season. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 8:22 pm
TheLoboMan
(@TheLoboMan)
Lobo

I'm not surprised he is opting out this d again. He could stay with the team and get another year for free. 

What you guys don't understand is this is tough for these kids. Most of you couldn't do it. You say if I played basketball I could isolate in my hotel room 22.5 hours a day everyday except for games. But you couldn't. You can only do so much locked up in prison. 

They are treated like prisoners. They have to be if they want to play. They get very little time to practice. No chance to work on shooting and free throws on their own like they normally would. Working on shooting on your own is where you develop a consistent shot. They don't get much conditioning. 

They did not work out from March until November because of the state rules in place. They followed them to a T. Every school in the MWC got to work out from March until October then got their full allotment of practiced in from October to when they started playing games.  The Lobos got their first practice around Thanksgiving and then got that taken away. 

The players sit in their Hotel room 23 hours and are not allowed to leave except to go to the Lobby to meet with coached for film study. Even that is limited into how many players get to work together on that. 

The biggest problem is getting a gym to have regular practiced. People think it's easy to get someone to open a gym up for them to use. Not that easy. Liability is a huge issue. And yes they have attorneys trying to work in getting gyms to work out in. 

But of course us computer fans know more than the athletic administration does about aquiring gyms and stuff. 

What my wife tells me is that coaches are having a hard time mentally just locked in. Can you imagine the play rs???  They want to be here in Albuquerque where they can breath and walk out on the street or get in their car and just drive around listed ing to music. The inactivity is killing this team. But like football they have to play to be in TV and get their TV money. The basketball TV money is very minimal. They are bannkg on conference team or teams making the NCAA tournrey to get a little extra money to help cover the expense of practicing  out of state and play home games out of state. 

It's a basically a no win situation for Weir and this program. These kids are no where near what they would be in shape for the first game of the season much less at this point. It won't get better until they have access to a gym for longer than 1.5 hours a day where the strength and conditioning coach can whip them into shape. He's not on the trip cause they don't have somewhere to work out. You can't run these kids in the parking lot where they can get seriously injured. But again most of you know better than professionals. 

I don't like Paul Weir. Never have. But I understood the hire for financial reasons need get what we can afford. When the University decided to raise ticket prices and spend real money for a coach then we might see some wins. Krebs and Schmidley shelled out bug bucks for Alford.  It the athletic department suffered some financially.  I've always said if you support football it helps basketball big time. If we just averaged 35,000 tickets sold for UNM football a game that translates into huge dollars then real coaches could be paid big bucks. Just a fact of life. 

It shows in what you pay for a coach is what you get in results. Winning is not cheap. Either Lobo fan bites the bullet and pays higher ticket prices or we continue down the road of mediocrity or worse. We don't have big booster to give big money annually. So it's up to us to creat a winning program. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 9:19 pm
CJCalico, BrutusXXX, pitforever90 and 5 people liked
Servehim
(@servehim)
Pup
Posted by: @lobo-watcher

It pretty obvious to folks who have clear vision. NM has once again achieved its anointed position in the bottom dwellers of 49th or 50th place due to piss poor ( D) leadership.  Thanks MLG !!!!  Fun to watch a game in Utah with a few fans and enthusiasm.  We are Kings/ Queens of stupidity in my beloved state.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2021 12:07 am
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo

@TheLoboMan
"Every school in the MWC got to work out from March until October then got their full allotment of practiced in from October to when they started playing games.  The Lobos got their first practice around Thanksgiving and then got that taken away."

The reality that the "coaching" obsessed fans don't want to admit.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2021 3:51 am
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Lobo Registered
Posted by: @pitforever90

@TheLoboMan
"Every school in the MWC got to work out from March until October then got their full allotment of practiced in from October to when they started playing games.  The Lobos got their first practice around Thanksgiving and then got that taken away."

So next years teams are still going to be better cause they still had these extra practices this year. There is no excuses to poor coaching losing by 30 points a game in conference. Weir must be fired!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2021 8:31 am
boingee
(@boingee)
Lobo

@PF you're leaving out the prior years

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2021 9:00 am
BubbaWolf
(@bubbawolf)
Pup
Posted by: @lobomaniac2018

@TheLoboMan

So next years teams are still going to be better cause they still had these extra practices this year. There is no excuses to poor coaching losing by 30 points a game in conference. Weir must be fired!!!

Fired and replaced with who? Who in their right mind would take this job? Give me 3 legit replacements and don't cop out and say "anyone is better"

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2021 9:26 am
MaxLobo
(@maxlobo)
Posted by: @bubbawolf
Posted by: @lobomaniac2018

@TheLoboMan

Fired and replaced with who? Who in their right mind would take this job? Give me 3 legit replacements and don't cop out and say "anyone is better"

Alford and Noodles....the sequal!  They can add Ritchie to the bench....and we can get Fran to be our play-by-play guy   😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2021 9:46 am
boingee and BubbaWolf liked
Page 1 / 2
Share: