Notifications
Clear all

MWC Fall Sports cancelled  

RSS
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor

Mountain West to Cancel Fall Sports

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29635064/sources-mountain-west-postpone-fall-sports-season

Posted : August 10, 2020 4:58 pm
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader Lobo level

just curious, how do these really high salaries to all the coaches get paid?  No tv or ticket revenues to pay the costs?

I'm on board with protecting the students and no reason to put them in harm's way.  

Just curious on the financial ramifications, since we have never experienced this type of world wide, life altering event before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 5:16 pm
MRLobo and BAD DAWG liked
Hoser
(@hoser)
Pack Leader

The dominoes continue to fall.  With the MAC and MWC calling off fall sports there will be other conferences following and eventually all conferences canceling FB and probably BB along with any other fall sports.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 5:26 pm
BAD DAWG liked
Hoser
(@hoser)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @txlobo95

just curious, how do these really high salaries to all the coaches get paid?  No tv or ticket revenues to pay the costs?

I'm on board with protecting the students and no reason to put them in harm's way.  

Just curious on the financial ramifications, since we have never experienced this type of world wide, life altering event before.

I could be wrong and maybe someone with more knowledge on this can chime in.  Each School year is financed and monies are appropriated before the school year starts.  Therefore, coaches' salaries have already been appropriated in the years budget.  Unless the state cuts that budget the money has already been portioned out and salaries, as well as operating budgets, have been approved and will be paid out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 5:30 pm
Isabel Gonzalez
(@isabel-gonzalez)
Member Admin

Press conference with Eddie Nuñez tomorrow afternoon. I'll share the important points with you. Here is his full official statement:

“While we are disappointed for our student-athletes, coaches, staff and fans, we understand that today’s decision made by the Mountain West Board of Directors has the best interest of all in mind. Lobo student-athletes and staff have been deliberate and strategic with each step towards returning to play. Our student-athletes have done everything asked of them including quarantining when arriving, being tested for COVID-19, wearing masks and social distancing. Lobos have also been leaders in the community’s fight against COVID-19 by promoting and influencing safe practices, raising money for the Lobo food pantry, developing a virtual reading program for Albuquerque elementary school students, assisting with a PPE drive and feeding front line health care workers.  I am extremely proud of their resiliency and dedication to their sport, this University and to the community. We will do everything possible to support them.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 5:34 pm
Darkside, abqpianist, RedLobo007 and 7 people liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @hoser

I could be wrong and maybe someone with more knowledge on this can chime in.  Each School year is financed and monies are appropriated before the school year starts.  Therefore, coaches' salaries have already been appropriated in the years budget.  Unless the state cuts that budget the money has already been portioned out and salaries, as well as operating budgets, have been approved and will be paid out.

There are 2 sides of a "budget" right?  "Projected" income and "projected" expenses.  If income is materially removed (no games, so no ticket sales, likely drastically reduced donations and drastically reduced tv revenue), does insurance cover the expenses and/or does the state have to step in and cover them or do the coaches salaries get cut if no season? 

Example, if 35 million of revenue was "projected" and now it will be 10 million, who covers the 25 million of expenses that revenues were supposed to cover?

I have no idea and why I was asking.  Money isn't self-created in thin air (unless you're the fed... 🙄).  It has to come from somewhere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 5:59 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor

This Pandemic will and has cost all of us. I figure adjustments will have to made every where in society and I know I am hoping that maybe we can have some seasons in the Spring.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 6:08 pm
bruiser, UNM Class of1972, Doublealum and 1 people liked
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Pack Leader

I'm not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel with this pandemic.  Hopefully by next spring the worst of it will be in our collective rear view mirrors.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 6:28 pm
bruiser, UNM Class of1972, JulieG and 2 people liked
howler
(@howler)
Referee evaluator
Posted by: @digital-lobo

I'm not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel with this pandemic.  Hopefully by next spring the worst of it will be in our collective rear view mirrors.

And hopefully the covid-19 virus won't turn out to be causing untold damage to other organs that keeps its killing potential elevated for years to come. This is especially for our children and younger citizens, they aren't 'nearly immune' as some have suggested.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 6:36 pm
bruiser, abqpianist, RedLobo007 and 2 people liked
Martin
(@martin)
Lobo Lobo level

Hopefully this is a postponement until the spring and not a cancellation. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 7:38 pm
Pmixmaster
(@pmixmaster)
Pup

Y'all are serious something else .

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 9:14 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Posted by: @txlobo95

UNM athletics was in the business of magical budget thinking before this. Why would that suddenly change now? I don't know of one cut they've made yet since this started.

I will be calling them tomorrow to get a refund of the football season tickets I purchased, however. 😏

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2020 11:06 pm
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader

Not me. I am not asking for any refunds. I call it a donation. Besides that not only are our revenues down but our travel expenses have been reduced to nothing through December. That helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 8:07 am
MRLobo liked
MRLobo
(@mrlobo)
Master of the Universe Admin
Posted by: @unm-class-of-1972

Not me. I am not asking for any refunds. I call it a donation. Besides that not only are our revenues down but our travel expenses have been reduced to nothing through December. That helps.

I intend to donate the money i paid for my tickets as well. I really like what Coach Gonzales is doing and I want to do whatever I can to support his program during this difficult time.  I intend to do the same for basketball if it is canceled but would like to divert the money to the new endowment.

Speaking of expenses, i think UNM should waive the tuition cost for the athletes.  Seems like a fixed cost for the university and its going from one UNM department to the other.  

This post was modified 1 month ago by MRLobo
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 9:01 am
bruiser
(@bruiser)
Lobo

Maybe we'll have a basketball season with no fans and a TV package we can buy.

I've been impressed with my fellow New Mexicans during this pandemic.  It seems like we still have a little community spirit around here and we still try to follow the Golden Rule a little bit.  Keep it up a little longer folks and we can get back to normal sooner!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 11:10 am
MRLobo, UNM Class of1972, RedLobo007 and 2 people liked
pitboss
(@pitboss)
Lobo Lobo level

@bruiser. you are your brother's keeper....

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 1:30 pm
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

Big Ten officially cancels fall football.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 1:36 pm
bdubnm-loboforlife10
(@bdubnm-loboforlife10)
Pup
Posted by: @mrlobo

I intend to do the same for basketball if it is canceled but would like to divert the money to the new endowment.

I have already told the Lobo Club the same. Just stick it all in the endowment. Jalen and Sean are good with that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 1:44 pm
Darkside
(@darkside)
Lobo

Speaking of expenses, i think UNM should waive the tuition cost for the athletes.  Seems like a fixed cost for the university and its going from one UNM department to the other.  

Not gonna happen.  https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/legislature/new-mexico-universities-struggle-under-weight-of-pandemic/article_4bd4069c-c775-11ea-9172-0bc8bcbeba86.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 2:00 pm
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

The SEC is like it's own country.  I would not be surprised to see them play football this fall.  If they were the only conference playing FB imagine the number of eyes on their games.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 3:23 pm
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @riches6

The SEC is like it's own country.  I would not be surprised to see them play football this fall.

They recently announced that they will be playing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 3:44 pm
Isabel Gonzalez
(@isabel-gonzalez)
Member Admin

Here is what Danny Gonzales had to say about not having New Mexico football this year (from today's media availability): https://www.thelairnm.com/gonzales-whatever-it-takes/

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 6:35 pm
MRLobo, abqpianist, UNM Class of1972 and 1 people liked
UNM Class of1972
(@unm-class-of-1972)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @isabel-gonzalez

Here is what Danny Gonzales had to say about not having New Mexico football this year (from today's media availability): https://www.thelairnm.com/gonzales-whatever-it-takes/

I really like Danny! I am so glad he is our coach now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2020 8:05 pm
MRLobo liked
MRLobo
(@mrlobo)
Master of the Universe Admin
Posted by: @darkside

Not gonna happen.  https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/legislature/new-mexico-universities-struggle-under-weight-of-pandemic/article_4bd4069c-c775-11ea-9172-0bc8bcbeba86.html

I guess my point is it is a fixed cost for UNM to put on those classes. Not getting money from the few hundred scholarship athletes isn't going to change that fixed cost.  Also if the sports department is over-budget because the pandemic the university has to eat it anyway.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2020 2:41 pm
Share: