Forum

Press Conference - ...

Notifications
Clear all

Press Conference - June 22, 2021 ???

bdubnm
(@bdubnm-loboforlife10)
Pup Lobo level

Apparently there was a press conference today with several Twitter bites from Portnoy...

https://twitter.com/RobTalksLobos

Lots to chew on here...

Pitino: ‘You find out a lot about a team when you go thru the wars of a season. Key to program is retention and growth. It’s very very early. A lot of good pieces.’

Pitino: ‘Jenkins is doing better. He’s a tough kid. He’s progressing well. He participated in first workout this week since he hurt his foot.’

Pitino: ‘Effort is good. Don’t have schemes in. When you do team stuff you’re not going to look as good, it’s going to look sloppy. That’s what the summer is for. It’s about getting acclimated and getting comfortable. A long way to go from a basketball standpoint.’

Pitino: ‘Able to go on road last weekend for recruiting.’

Pitino on things they can measure during summer: ‘Shooting percentage with a spreadsheet. And your body. Do you need to put on weight or lose weight? Working our way through that as well. Their bodies are very important.’

Pitino on recruiting: ‘Had more former coaches at UNM, more coaches in league from the past, they raved about the Pit, about Abq, about their experiences. Former players, people who have come to the Pit, come to Abq. As pandemic slowly goes away & we open up, gets me excited.’

Pitino: ‘Great to get back on the road. To recruit when you can’t see kids play it’s almost impossible. Number one question everybody asks is how they fit. Want to see where they can play right away, our plan for them personally. Main thing is getting recruits back on campus.’

Pitino: ‘In the summer we try to bring in as many different types of speakers as we can to educate our team. Do some team stuff. Took them out to dinner for NBA playoff game. Some of these guys chose the school without seeing it, without hanging out with players. Have to adapt.’

Pitino on defense and switching: ‘That’s what summer is about. Do you switch, do you drop, do you down? A lot of it has to do with the bigs and how they can guard. We’ve done a lot of things. You have to commit to something, and have a plan B if it doesn’t work out.’

Pitino on clips he’s shown the team: ‘Showed them edits of Luca Garza posting up. He was as good as it gets at getting the ball where he wanted it without moving all over the place.’

Pitino on Supreme Court ruling: ‘It’s a tad confusing as to what exactly came out of yesterday. What specifics are I really don’t know. College basketball is so good, but it’s flawed in a lot of ways. The more we can make it attractive to kids to play in college the better.’

Pitino: ‘What you want in the summer is a great attitude, you want them to get comfortable.’

Pitino on Abq and NM opening up: ‘We want to get out in the community. Have to do it safely. Want everyone to feel safe. It’s trending in the right direction. It’ll be fun to see everything opening up and being a part of that, really looking forward to it.’

Pitino on Enchantment team playing in TBT and exhibition in the Pit: ‘Never met a collection of former players so proud of their time here. We need to embrace them and make them feel that love. We’re excited to get them on campus and see them to play.’

Pitino on Gethro Muscadin: ‘He can do both (4 and 5). Nobody wants to be a center. We’ll call him a stretch 4, stretch 5. Gethro has the ability to do that, as well as go down low.’

Topic starter Posted : June 22, 2021 12:40 pm
writejav, andyp, trufan and 17 people liked
bdubnm
(@bdubnm-loboforlife10)
Pup Lobo level
Posted by: @bdubnm-loboforlife10

Pitino on defense and switching: ‘That’s what summer is about. Do you switch, do you drop, do you down? A lot of it has to do with the bigs and how they can guard. We’ve done a lot of things. You have to commit to something, and have a plan B if it doesn’t work out.’

Please for the love of basketball, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ditch the switch everything defense scheme. If I have to watch another game of that defensive scheme I will pull my hair out. 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 22, 2021 12:42 pm
lobo81, BAD DAWG, ComeOnNow and 2 people liked
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Lobo Registered

Any links to press conference???

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2021 12:59 pm
bdubnm
(@bdubnm-loboforlife10)
Pup Lobo level
Posted by: @lobomaniac2018

I havent seen any yet. Actively searching. Someone always posts the zoom links, but this might be the first in person one since COVID started.

@isabel-gonzalez Was this in person or zoom? Any chance anyone recorded it?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 22, 2021 1:02 pm
BubbaWolf
(@bubbawolf)
Lobo

Please for the love of basketball, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ditch the switch everything defense scheme. If I have to watch another game of that defensive scheme I will pull my hair out. 🤣 

Stay with your man,  fight through the pick!!Communicate with teammates!! We should have the athletes this year to do that. Quicker Faster Stronger 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2021 2:08 pm
BAD DAWG liked
ComeOnNow
(@comeonnow)
Pup

Bdubnm - excellent summary.  Thanks for posting!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2021 8:21 pm
BubbaWolf
(@bubbawolf)
Lobo

@bdubnm-loboforlife10

Since you are the only insider that will give info.....who's looking good? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2021 8:08 am
bdubnm
(@bdubnm-loboforlife10)
Pup Lobo level
Posted by: @bubbawolf

Since you are the only insider that will give info.....who's looking good?

Not sure I am the only insider posting info, but here is my .02 cents on the current roster that I have seen in action so far this summer.

• Jeremiah Francis: Looks a lot more comfortable and confident this year. I think if the last 5 games from last year are any indication, he could be in the mix for a starting position or 1st guy off the bench this year. His shot in practice is a lot more consistent than it was this time last year. Starting to show his pedigree on why he was a former NC recruit. Reminding me of Dairese Gary type big bodied point guard.
  • Javonte Johnson: Likely our best shooter, but is still young and will take time to develop a complete game before you see him in starting lineup. He needs to get a quicker release IMO (shoots from his waist) to be an elite scorer (like Mathis was). Coaches have asked him to drop some weight before the season starts to help him with his quickness and explosion. They want him to be a lot more active on both sides of the ball and especially his defensive effort.
  • Jalen House: Hands down our quickest and most disruptive defensive player. Pure hustle and effort. First to finish all sprints and suicides...by a mile. Has a nice mid range and 3 point shot. He is likely in our starting rotation.
  • Taryn Todd: Decent shooter from shooting drills I have seen. Looks hesitant and tentative like Francis did last year. This is what Pitino is working on this summer; getting the transfers comfortable in the program and their role on the team so they play their best.
  • Saquan Singleton: One of our most athletic players. Has work to do on shooting. If he gets a consistent shot, he could be a very valuable piece for us.
  • Rod Brown: Big body in the paint. More of an undersized big man due to height. Hustle and doing the dirty work is his calling card.
  • Emmanuel Kuac: Probably our most athletic player on the roster. He is silky smooth in the paint with his pick & rolls, post moves, etc, during drills. Hope this carries over to scrimmages and games. Coach wants him to play stretch 4 this year instead of the hybrid guard/big like his first 2 years. He will be working with the bigs this season and not the guards. This should allow him to focus on post play. If he can develop a consistent touch and post moves in the paint with ability to pop out for occasional 3 point shot 3-5 times a game, he could see heavy minutes.
  • Jay Allen-Tovar: Plays with a chip on his shoulder. Reminds me of Xavier Adams in that he isn't afraid to mix it up and pretty good in all aspects. Good size and touch around the basket. Has ability to pop out to 3 and shoot. Another stretch 4 candidate.
  • Gethro Muscadin: Probably our only real center on the roster (until Seck and Forsling arrive). Definitely has a polish to his game and easy to see why he was a top 50 recruit at Kansas. Explosive dunking out of nowhere. He will be a fan favorite since dunks are really what gets the Pit crowd on their feet these days. Coach said no one wants to play center in yesterdays Presser, so likely be a stretch 4 as well. Not sure we have a true center on this roster outside of Forsling and Seck, but haven't seen them yet.

Guys I haven't seen yet this summer: Jamal Mashbrun, KJ Jenkins, Valdir Manuel, Sebastian Forsling, Birima Seck

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 23, 2021 10:58 am
LaVidaLobo, AustinTLobo, Bloo and 13 people liked
bdubnm
(@bdubnm-loboforlife10)
Pup Lobo level

James Barron from Santa Fe New Mexican article from yesterday's presser: https://news.yahoo.com/pitino-still-getting-feel-unm-150100828.html

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 23, 2021 11:44 am
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo

@bdubnm-loboforlife10

Thanks for sharing your great assessment of a few of the athletes on the team. I appreciate you. 

Keep it coming!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2021 2:14 pm
BrutusXXX liked
AbqLobo1
(@abqlobo1)
Pup

James Barron from Santa Fe New Mexican article from yesterday's presser: https://news.yahoo.com/pitino-still-getting-feel-unm-150100828.html

That article doesn't even mention 6'11" Forsling and refers to Mashburn Jr as a junior point guard 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2021 10:18 pm
Walkon
(@walkon)
Lobo Lobo level

Why does Coach Pitino have a press conference? Press conferences are generally called to present some hot news to the press, so they can write a newsworthy article. Not so with our coach. He keep saying the same thing over and over again. He provided nothing on the OOC schedule, recruiting in general, and hardly anything about who is standing out in the workouts. As I said previously. he keeps his cards close to his vest. One of these days he will figure out from a PR standpoint, that it is better to dribble out the beans rather than dump them out all at once. At least, provide some hints. Right now, IMHO, they are a big waste of time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2021 7:46 am
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

@walkon

It can also be said that plenty of folks would be whining if he didn't have them....

And since all we have is a summary (a very helpful one!) at this point we Don't know what questions were asked, nor all his responses.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2021 9:01 am
BAD DAWG, Primordial, Doublealum and 1 people liked
Isabel Gonzalez
(@isabel-gonzalez)
Member Admin
Posted by: @lobomaniac2018

I havent seen any yet. Actively searching. Someone always posts the zoom links, but this might be the first in person one since COVID started.

@isabel-gonzalez Was this in person or zoom? Any chance anyone recorded it?

I don't have it, but there was nothing new. No updates on the schedule, Pitino said he was still working on that home-and-home series. 

I asked him about Jenkins. As Portnoy tweeted, he is doing better. He got hurt about two weeks ago and finally joined the team workouts on Monday.

Not sure there is more I can add because what Portnoy tweeted was pretty much it. Luka Garza's dad tweeted at me yesterday about Pitino showing his team Luka's film. First he tweeted about Rick Pitino and then realized it was Richard (who coached against his son's team). He said either of them showing clips of his son is a compliment he will treasure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2021 11:15 am
ManiacalWolf5, BAD DAWG, Scott and 5 people liked
AustinTLobo
(@austintlobo)
Lobo

@walkon

Maybe its because the press asks the same questions at every presser.  Just guessing.

Let me add Lee Faria asks about the scholarship situation at every new conference. 

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by AustinTLobo
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2021 12:31 pm
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Lobo

I suspect the news conferences are to keep both programs in the news and generate those ticket sales. Nuñez is smart and absolutely knows “out of sight and out of mind” is not a good thing. Poor Pitino is probably bored and having a difficult time keeping those conferences interesting. He probably has done more of them than any Lobo BB coach I can remember during the summer with more to come. 

He did let out a hint regarding a 4 leaving when he said 6-6 Emmanuel Kuac would be working strictly with the BIGS as a stretch 4. Lobos got a nice mix going at that spot. Kuac , while the shortest, can certainly get up higher than any of them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2021 2:12 pm
BAD DAWG, Primordial, abqpianist and 3 people liked
Walkon
(@walkon)
Lobo Lobo level

There was more news on this site today that Rod Brown has entered the transfer portal than Coach Pitino's entire press conference.

Then, the question is Did he know at that time?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2021 3:38 pm
BAD DAWG and bdubnm liked
bdubnm
(@bdubnm-loboforlife10)
Pup Lobo level
Posted by: @brutusxxx

I suspect the news conferences are to keep both programs in the news and generate those ticket sales.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Most people don't realize how much Football and Basketball ticket sales funds the entire UNM Athletics budget. If UNM is to be what everyone wants them to be, they need butts in seats for football and basketball. Want a mens soccer program, buy season tickets to UNM Football and Basketball. Want to pay a coach a better salary so he doesn't leave, buy season tickets. Want all the nice things you see at P5 schools, buy season tickets.

The unfortunate side of UNM finances is UNM Athletics self generates 70-80% of their total budget. The state / university only kicks in about 20%. This is by far the lowest amount of any MWC school. Most other schools get 50% or more of their budgets funded by the state and university. Without ticket sales and Lobo Club donations, UNM is funded at a Division 2 level (or lower).

They NEED your butt in a seat for as many games as you can afford!!!

Ever wonder why UNM gets cut in the first round of conference expansion talks?

1. UNM is a poor school by endowment standards. Most P5 schools have university endowments in the $3-5B range. Top P5 schools have $20B endowments. Last I checked, UNM's endowment is around $860M.
  2. UNM Athletics is a poor program by any standard.
    • The state barely funds UNM and NMSU Athletics at a Division 2 level. The difference between UNM and NMSU budgets is butts in seats and other self generated funds that the Lobo Club can generate.
    • UNM Athletics did not have any sport endowments until I started the one for Mens basketball and Chet Stewart started the one for Football. These endowments will take years (10-20) to grow into anything significant, but the goal is to break or reduce the dependency on state funds and ticket sales.
  3. UNM is in a small media market and unable to secure large media right deals.

In order for UNM to have any chance at P5 status (financial parity or conference realignment), the following has to occur:

1. BUTTS IN SEATS. UNM needs everyone to attend as many games as possible every year regardless of programs on field / court success. They need your buy-in and support!!!
  2. The state legislature must decide if they want a true Athletic Flagship University (or 2 with NMSU) that is FUNDED on par with other P5 State Universities.

I'll end my rant here, but more than open to discussing this topic with anyone that is interested to learn more about WHY UNM has issues. It took me some time to understand the dynamics and I don't think anyone has done UNM justice explaining the realities to the average fan / citizen.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 25, 2021 9:57 am
BAD DAWG, BrutusXXX, howler and 7 people liked
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Alpha Lobo Lobo level

The unfortunate side of UNM finances is UNM Athletics self generates 70-80% of their total budget. The state / university only kicks in about 20%. This is by far the lowest amount of any MWC school. Most other schools get 50% or more of their budgets funded by the state and university. Without ticket sales and Lobo Club donations, UNM is funded at a Division 2 level (or lower).

There's your winner, winner, chicken dinner.  We are on par or better with "ticket" support for both sports in comparison to all other MWC schools and well ahead on the WBB side.  Where we fall vastly short is the amount of support from the school fees vs other schools. 

IMO, if UNM wants coaches to stay, competitive salaries, they need to restructure the fees to the athletic dept so, as you say, its closer to 50% of our budget coming from fees vs. tickets and Lobo Club donations.  That can be solved within the UNM governing body and has yet to be addressed.

If you want UNM to be more competitive financially, get the UNM governing body to do its job and fund the athletic dept on par % wise with all other MWC schools.  That is the only "real" solution.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2021 2:15 pm
Primordial
(@primordial)
Lobo Lobo level
Posted by: @txlobo95

There's your winner, winner, chicken dinner.  We are on par or better with "ticket" support for both sports in comparison to all other MWC schools and well ahead on the WBB side.  Where we fall vastly short is the amount of support from the school fees vs other schools. 

IMO, if UNM wants coaches to stay, competitive salaries, they need to restructure the fees to the athletic dept so, as you say, its closer to 50% of our budget coming from fees vs. tickets and Lobo Club donations.  That can be solved within the UNM governing body and has yet to be addressed.

If you want UNM to be more competitive financially, get the UNM governing body to do its job and fund the athletic dept on par % wise with all other MWC schools.  That is the only "real" solution.

You are partially correct... Having been directly involved with some small aspects of UNM's budgeting process both from the faculty/departmental side and the legislative side, I would modify your statement to say that a large part of the bottleneck (if you want to increase athletic department budgets) resides in convincing the legislature to drastically increase funding as a whole to the university with some behind the scenes pressure to increase athletic funding as a part of that increase.  No small task indeed!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2021 2:31 pm
BAD DAWG, abqpianist, AustinTLobo and 1 people liked
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader
Posted by: @txlobo95

And not seemingly unreasonable. However, change comes hard in the face of long held resistance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2021 9:24 pm
Share: