Page 1 / 2
Duke
 Duke
(@duke)
Lobo
howler
(@howler)
Referee evaluator

Good interview by Van Tate.  Sebastian has a great attitude and I'm going to enjoy watching him develop as a player as his Lobo career progresses.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 6:31 am
Leviblu, abqpianist, BAD DAWG and 3 people liked
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Lobo

I still say …..

7-0 245 Sebastian Forsling will be special with his all-around game, especially passing out of the post for easy and open 3pt shots. Lobo guards got to take advantage and hit those shots. I still say, he starts as he is way ahead of all the other BIGs in the fundamentals of playing in the post. Pitino has noted that the guy does know how to score. Love that Forsling is not shying away from lofty goals. He wants that MWC Freshman of The Year crown. I think, Forsling will prove to Pitino that he indeed is the Lobo’s starting center.

Hopefully, Pitino will find that special combination among the other BIGs to play alongside. Lots of nice candidates to fill that slot on the roster. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 8:31 am
abqpianist, BAD DAWG, howler and 1 people liked
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @brutusxxx

I still say …..

7-0 245 Sebastian Forsling will be special with his all-around game, especially passing out of the post for easy and open 3pt shots. Lobo guards got to take advantage and hit those shots. I still say, he starts as he is way ahead of all the other BIGs in the fundamentals of playing in the post. Pitino has noted that the guy does know how to score. Love that Forsling is not shying away from lofty goals. He wants that MWC Freshman of The Year crown. I think, Forsling will prove to Pitino that he indeed is the Lobo’s starting center.

Hopefully, Pitino will find that special combination among the other BIGs to play alongside. Lots of nice candidates to fill that slot on the roster. 

I love your positivity!

If Manual were practicing would you still be saying the same things, especially the part about being way ahead of the other BIGS and starting?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 8:43 am
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Lobo

Yes ….

Like to see 6-10 225 Valdir Manuel come off suspension to play in tandem with Forsling. Like all the other BIGs on the roster, Manuel is a foward and plays like one. I still believe, Pitino will play two BIGs most of the time. Manuel is the best shotblocker on the team and is a proven scorer out to the 3pt line. He was coming off a wrist injury last season and we have not seen him at his best yet. I do think, he is the best 4, BIG 4, on the team. 6-6 Emmanuel Kuac and 6-6 Saquan Singleton are not true 4s. 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by BrutusXXX
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 9:12 am
BAD DAWG and hippyboi liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader Customer, Registered, Lobo level

Not basketball related but it is amazing to me how well he and many other foreign nationals speak English - I think I am just jealous + in awe, as I really struggled to try to learn another language and was never proficient at it at all - hats off to these young SAs as they use a second language to obtain a college education! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 9:24 am
Ohiolobo, JulieG, abqpianist and 3 people liked
Digital Lobo
(@digital-lobo)
Alpha Lobo

It sure would be sweet if Seb utilizes his full potential and develops into a Luc Longley type player.

How does that saying go, 'You can't teach height.'

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 9:41 am
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

@doublealum

And advantage for many who grow up in Europe. Most are exposed to multiple languages early in life and learning English is a big part of the curriculum in school for lots of European kids. My perception is that learning multiple languages is valued more there than here.

And yes, he's very able. It has to be a boost in both practice and in class.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Scott
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 9:53 am
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

...It is a nice little feature by Van. I think Sebastian's skills will be very valuable to our team. However, with the learning curve adapting to US hoops from European may take some time. He might be ready to contribute early or it may take some time. In the long run we will have a very solid post player.

Also have to say it was nice to see some short clips of practice. Jalen clearly has a sense of passing lanes and had one nice feed to the post in those clips. It's fun to see any action of the team.

Go Lobos.
Go Sebastian.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Scott
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 9:57 am
BAD DAWG, JulieG, abqpianist and 1 people liked
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Lobo
Posted by: @doublealum

Not basketball related but it is amazing to me how well he and many other foreign nationals speak English - I think I am just jealous + in awe, as I really struggled to try to learn another language and was never proficient at it at all - hats off to these young SAs as they use a second language to obtain a college education! 

It was mentioned in a KOB interview that Forsling learned English from his mother who spent 6 years in NYC. Most of those foreign athletes speak at least 4 to 5 languages. USA educational system has fallen behind most of the world. The world has come a long ways from “The Tower of Babel” and the world now speaks one language once again. Of course, that being the computer language. 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by BrutusXXX
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 10:02 am
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

@brutusxxx

Until things like foreign languages become more valued by our society as a whole we will continue to lag. Educational systems work with the products of society and unfortunately all those social aspects affect education more than education is able to affect society.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Scott
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 10:17 am
hippyboi
(@hippyboi)
Lobo

My wife and 2 daughters raised in the hinterlands of the Philippines, 6 hours from Manila, speak 3 languages each.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 11:55 am
TheLoboMan, JulieG, Digital Lobo and 3 people liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)

@Scott - yes, but its not just the European kids, its also our SAs from Africa and Spanish speaking nations to the south (in our present case, the Spanish speaking Caribbean islands.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 12:24 pm
TheLoboMan, howler, abqpianist and 1 people liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)

@hippyboi - totally envious of those capabilities. Fantastic!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 12:25 pm
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

@doublealum

Glad you pointed that out. thx

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 12:37 pm
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo

This kid is very mature agile and skilled for his age. Sounds like he has a great work ethic, a great attitude and very determined with lofty goals.  He just may be one the guys that helps to build a formidable Frontcourt presence for the Lobos this season. Can't wait to see him in action!

GO LOBOS!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 1:06 pm
howler, JulieG, Scott and 1 people liked
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo

Well, you know what the MW approach to Forsling will be: "physicality", i.e., foul him like crazy and figure that the MW officiating crews won't want to call it much since he's a frosh/Lobo. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 2:50 pm
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Lobo

Pitino is well versed in physical basketball play. The guy only coached for eight seasons in the most physical BB conference in the country, the BIG 10. He started a 7 footer last season at MN. I got to believe Pitino is loving having a young center like Forsling to work with, along with all those 6-9 to 6-11 fowards.

I’m looking for Alford/Neal to go back to their BIG 10 roots as well. They got a lot of size to work with, besides great guards. MWC is going to get more physical this season. 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by BrutusXXX
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 3:10 pm
BAD DAWG liked
LoboMike
(@lobomike)
Posted by: @brutusxxx

Pitino is well versed in physical basketball play. The guy only coached for eight seasons in the most physical BB conference in the country, the BIG 10. He started a 7 footer last season at MN. I got to believe Pitino is loving having a young center like Forsling to work with, along with all those 6-9 to 6-11 fowards.

I’m looking for Alford/Neal to go back to their BIG 10 roots as well. They got a lot of size to work with, besides great guards. MWC is going to get more physical this season. 

College basketball is a guard's game. Alford/Neal have Sherfield and Cambridge there to dominate because they know this. The bigs they have are mainly for defense and rebounding above all else. That's what UNM needs most out of our bigs also.

You're stuck on pure height, but guys like 6-6 David Roddy and 6-7 Justin Bean will be major problems for UNM this season. As much as 6-10 Orlando Robinson will be also. UNM needs effort and results by committee amongst guys from Kuac and Singleton all the way up to the tallest ones like Forsling and Seck. Getting Manuel back would certainly be helpful, as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 4:05 pm
Altakaia, Scott, BAD DAWG and 1 people liked
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Lobo

We shall see ….

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 5:02 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor

@brutusxxx From my travels it is English which is why so many Americans speak only it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 10:28 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor

@hippyboiMy guess is they speak English, Spanish and Tagalog.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2021 10:32 pm
hippyboi
(@hippyboi)
Lobo

@julieg

Close

Tagalog English and Ilacano ( a regional dialect ).

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 8:20 am
Scott liked
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo

@Scott 

Agreed Scott but after watching this practice clip I still believe he’s gonna be ready sooner rather than later. 

With regards House, he is a very quick, athletic guard, with a high IQ and high energy who can shoot from the perimeter or get in the paint and he defends well. He makes great reads and has the unique ability to distribute the ball where there appears to be no space as we saw in the short clip. He’s got all the skills to help the team win from a point guard standpoint.  A great addition by Pitino. It’s gonna be exciting to watch him perform his wizardry. 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 3 times by BAD DAWG
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 8:51 am
JulieG liked
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo

Wishful Thinking but it would sure be nice if the “Sports Desk” would continue to produce these types of short introductory clips on each player leading up to the season since their are a number of new players on this years roster who are unknown to Lobo fans. I feel it would help stir up excitement and help get fans to the PIT.

It sure got my BB juices flowing but I’m easy to excite when it comes to anything related to Lobo Basketball!

GO LOBOS!!!

GO SEBASTIAN FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR!!!

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by BAD DAWG
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 9:14 am
JulieG and Scott liked
Welcome2ThePit
(@Welcome2ThePit)
Lobo

The more I hear about House, the more I am thinking he could be in the mold of a JJ Caldwell, but with super defense and without all the off the court issues since he seems like he has a great head on his shoulders.

I honestly thought JJ was perhaps the most talented PG we've had in the last 20-30 years, and I was a huge fan of the way he played the game. It's too bad he just couldn't stay out of trouble. It appears though that with House, we might have gotten something similar but a guy that seemingly has virtually no risk of getting into trouble off the court.

Really looking forward to that dynamic Mash/House duo. I think it has the makings of a stellar tandem. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 6:55 pm
Lobo_for_life
(@lobo_for_life)
Pack Leader Lobo level
Posted by: @Welcome2ThePit

The more I hear about House, the more I am thinking he could be in the mold of a JJ Caldwell

Better shooter but not the natural passer/creator JJ was during his short UNM career.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 9:58 pm
BAD DAWG and JulieG liked
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor

Caldwell was an exceptional point guard. A huge reason why the team crumbled.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 10:03 pm
BAD DAWG and Scott liked
zoom
 zoom
(@zoom)
Pack Leader

I honestly thought JJ was perhaps the most talented PG we've had in the last 20-30 years...

yep...if House is close, he'll be special...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 1:13 am
BAD DAWG liked
brooklyn_esq
(@brooklyn_esq)
Member Admin

House brings a frenetic style of defense. I expect him to be a big fan fav

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 3:12 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: