Tuesday's Game vs. ...

Notifications
Clear all

Tuesday's Game vs. NM State

Page 1 / 2
KrimsonKrazy
(@KrimsonKrazy)
Pup

Aggies have talent, length, depth, and are capable of playing well against many teams. However, Utah State exposed NM State as the Aggies were unable to respond to the deep hole they found themselves in.

Aggie defense is solid....so is rebounding. But the offense, which is capable of exploding, is erratic.

Look for an enthusiastic crowd in Pan Am complete with the student body Panamaniacs.

I always look forward to these games.

This topic was modified 2 months ago 2 times by KrimsonKrazy
Topic starter Posted : November 27, 2021 11:49 am
Scott, BAD DAWG, abqpianist and 2 people liked
Bradpal
(@bradpal)
Lobo Lobo level

Hasn’t been an enthusiastic atmosphere in over two years for either fan base. Really looking forward to the next two games.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2021 11:54 am
GoN4it
(@gon4it)
Lobo

Lil sis down south takes this one. Road trip to Vegas exposed Los Lobos weaknesses. Lil sis took notice and wins this one by 10+.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2021 11:59 am
MaxLobo
(@maxlobo)
Posted by: @KrimsonKrazy

.....were unable to respond to the deep hole they found themselves in.

Uh, yeah, we Lobos can talk a little about that situation too......

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2021 12:01 pm
Scott, lobofan13, JulieG and 1 people liked
ABQLoboFan
(@abqlobofan)
Pup

I think the Aggies win the game in Las Cruces for sure. I just hope we can get a split of the series on December 6th in ABQ. It's going to be tough though as I think NMSU may be the best team we have played this year. They are VERY good!

Go Lobos!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2021 6:53 pm
Lobodawg92
(@lobodawg92)
Pack Leader

I'm not conceding anything!

Go lobos!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2021 7:00 pm
Servehim, roblips, Scott and 5 people liked
Aggiequerque
(@aggiequerque)
Pup

For those interested, here is some info on this year's Aggie team.

Teddy Allen (aka, Teddy Buckets) was our big transfer. He was the #6 scorer in the Big 10 last year highlighted by a 41 point game. He is the Aggies leading scorer this year. He is unconventional and has a very strange release on his shot.

This is the tallest team in the Jans era. Gone are the days of the 5'9" PG, 6'1" SG and 6'8" centers. Our starters are 6'4", 6'6", 6'7", 6'7" and 6'10". We have several 6'8" players coming off the bench to spell our starters at the 2, 3 and 4. Our backup center is 6'11". We have outrebounded our opponents in all our wins. Rebounding and defense have always been staples for Jans.

On the negative side, Teddy Buckets is a volume shooter. He is not very efficient. He will take 15 shots to get 15 points, but he scores in bunches and can score at all 3 levels. The Aggies can get stagnant on offense. Lots of standing around. And we love to shoot threes even though we have very capable post players. Jabari Rice has been forced to play PG. He is a natural SG and is not a true PG.

Bottom line, our starters are very good. They will get the bulk of the minutes. Our bench players have size and athleticism, but are still learning Jans' style.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Aggiequerque
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 7:54 am
Lobodawg92, BrutusXXX, Scott and 4 people liked
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

Obviously I am very concerned about our rebounding headed into this game.  This is the best team we have faced so far this year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 1:17 pm
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo

NMSU: Top 50 in defensive rebounding (34th), total rebounding (30th), blocks (17th)
Top 100 in free throw attempts (76th), offensive rebounding (93rd)

UNM: Top 50 in 3P percentage (39th), blocks (39th)
Top 100 in field goals per game (93rd), field goal percentage (97th), 3P field goals per game (99th), free throws per game (66th), free throw attempts per game (81st), free throw percentage (78th)

Highest ranking bad stat for NMSU: 10th in turnovers per game 
Highest ranking bad stat for UNM: 65th in personal fouls per game

Lowest ranking bad stat for NMSU: 307th in free throw shooting percentage
Lowest ranking bad stat for UNM: 326th in total rebounds per game

This post was modified 2 months ago by pitforever90
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 2:23 pm
Hoser, Lobodawg92, JulieG and 2 people liked
LoboMike
(@lobomike)

I think we'll play better than we did against Towson. Team just wasn't ready to play that night. Not sure if a hangover from the game the night before or what, but that was our worst game so far.

Still, this will be a tough one on the road. Get a feel for the rivalry and all, then the rematch in the Pit next week.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 2:40 pm
KrimsonKrazy
(@KrimsonKrazy)
Pup
Posted by: @pitforever90

NMSU: Top 50 in defensive rebounding (34th), total rebounding (30th), blocks (17th)

Top 100 in field goals per game (93rd), field goal percentage (97th), 3P field goals per game (99th), free throws per game (66th), free throw attempts per game (81st), free throw percentage (78th)

NM State shooting 70.21% from the charity stripe----middle of the pack---#167 among D-1 basketball teams.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 29, 2021 2:57 pm
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo

@riches6

Well you can bet McCants the Aggie Big will be a “one man rebounding clinic” and will be happy to show UNM how to rebound if they don’t keep a body on him!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 6:47 pm
Lobodawg92, JulieG, BrutusXXX and 3 people liked
RENOLOBO
(@renolobo)

it’s gonna get ugly fast for our lobos tomorrow.  right now our bigs can’t box out a fire hydrant.  the equalizer for us is if the ags get into foul trouble 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 8:09 pm
AbqAggie
(@abqaggie)
Pup
Posted by: @bad-dawg

@riches6

Well you can bet McCants the Aggie Big will be a “one man rebounding clinic” and will be happy to show UNM how to rebound if they don’t keep a body on him!

This is the biggest Aggie team in at least the last 5 years.  Lobo fans are familiar with McCants’ rebounding prowess, but now he has help.  Joining him in the frontcout rotation is 6’7 225 Donnie Tillman (UNLV/Utah), 6’10 277 Will McNair, 6’11 211 Yuat Alok (Coppin State/TCU), 6’8 205 Chi Chi Avery, and 6’7 218 Mike Peak (Austin Peay/Georgia).  We also have true Freshman 6’10 273 Jorge Moreno on the bench and 6’10 255 Shak Odunewu sitting out as a redshirt Freshman.  Coming at you waves 🌊 🌊 🌊.

This post was modified 2 months ago by AbqAggie
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 8:42 pm
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo

@renolobo

A fire hydrant?

That’s fricken hilarious! Never heard that one.... but it may be challenging at this point. 

It can only get better from here!

Hopefully the Lobos surprise tomorrow!

GO LOBOS!!!!!!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 9:06 pm
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo

@pitforever90 

Thanks! that was interesting and informative 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 10:17 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor Admin

@abqaggie 

Nice size, lots of retreads:-)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 10:25 pm
Scott
(@Scott)
Pack Leader

We'll find out pretty quickly how players and staff will handle the turnaround from an ugly loss to a challenging game. Plenty of motivation after the Vegas games. Win or lose, how we come out for the first 5-7 minutes will tell us a lot about our character and resiliency.

Go Lobos.
Beat the Aggies.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 6:28 am
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo
Posted by: @KrimsonKrazy
Posted by: @pitforever90

NM State shooting 70.21% from the charity stripe----middle of the pack---#167 among D-1 basketball teams.

You're right. That stat is wrong, but so are the rest for NMSU. I must have had the wrong year up in Sports Reference.

CORRECTION:
NMSU: Top 50 in 2P percentage (44th), 3P per game (22nd), 3P attempts per game (26th)
Top 100 in FG% (86th), 3P% (73rd)

Highest ranking bad stat for NMSU: 174th in turnovers per game
Lowest ranking bad stat for NMSU: 328th in steals per game

So Aggies rebounding prowess is still better than UNM, but not Top 50 or Top 100 level. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 7:10 am
docmmm
(@docmmm)
Pup

Got the Lobos at +10.5 and another bet that I bought up to +20.5. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 9:29 am
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Lobo

Anxious to find out how long the ankle injuries to House and Jenkins will affect the team moving foward. Speed and quickness were to be the strength of this team. Without that, Pitino and Lobos got to go in another direction and change up what they want to run. 

I am not sure that Pitino and the team are fully aware of how nasty and vicious the Aggie crowd can get. I expect decent sized crowds for both games after the two year hiatus. At the least, this game will go a long way to preparing these young Lobos for games on the road in the future. I am hoping for the best and will be patient whatever the outcome. 

Go Lobos!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 9:56 am
JulieG, abqpianist, Lobodawg92 and 2 people liked
MRLobo
(@mrlobo)
Master of the Universe Admin
Posted by: @riches6

Obviously I am very concerned about our rebounding headed into this game.  This is the best team we have faced so far this year.

I think NMSU is far from the best team we have faced.  CU and UAB are probably both significantly better.  If you meant that NMSU is the best rebounding team we have faced that may be true and we all join you in the concern there.  

I do think this will show us a little about how good Pitino is at getting these guys to respond after two tough losses.  Towson seems like an anomaly so far this year, I certainly hope it was but we shall see these next few games.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 9:57 am
pitforever90
(@pitforever90)
Lobo

Colorado and Towson are the two best rebounding teams UNM has faced. They're both in the Top 100 for total rebounds per game and both in the Top 50 for opponents total rebounds per game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 10:13 am
BAD DAWG liked
boingee
(@boingee)
Member Admin

I think we'll win this one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 10:19 am
Servehim, Lobodawg92, JulieG and 2 people liked
boingee
(@boingee)
Member Admin

Is this only streaming from ESPN+?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 11:58 am
Lobojumpman
(@Lobojumpman)
Lobo

It would be nice if video coordinator Robert Edwards did a quick NMSU history compilation of all the great moments in the rivalry (Clayton Shields buzzer beater, crazy fans, other close finish games, etc) to give the team a taste of what they'll see.  If we go in there flat tonight, it will be a long night or Mesilla Valley Massacre Part II.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 12:54 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor Admin

@boingee 

Yes, you can pay $6.95 use it for a month and then cancel or you can join Disney+ with it and watch the little green kid and pay $13.95 and do the same thing. ESPN+ has an awful lot of sports on it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 2:16 pm
AbqAggie
(@abqaggie)
Pup
Posted by: @julieg

@abqaggie 

Nice size, lots of retreads:-)

Hmm……4 of your 5 starters are retreads 🤔

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 2:20 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor Admin

I don't know if I totally agree. Muscadin went to Kansas and dabbled in basketball and I am not sure if he will start or not though dealing with height he may. House, Jenkins, Todd, Mashburn and Francis on the entire team certainly qualify, they all did only go to one school before though:-)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 2:32 pm
Golobosguy
(@golobosguy)
Lobo
Posted by: @julieg

@boingee 

Yes, you can pay $6.95 use it for a month and then cancel or you can join Disney+ with it and watch the little green kid and pay $13.95 and do the same thing. ESPN+ has an awful lot of sports on it.

Who is this little green kid you mention?  Martian Mickey?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2021 2:51 pm
boingee liked
Page 1 / 2
Share: