Forum

Notifications
Clear all

W.W.W.D.??

Page 2 / 2
MaxLobo
(@maxlobo)
Posted by: @nickname

What Would Weir Do with this year's squad? I know this is a touchy subject but I would like to see some honest answers. I for one think he would be 13 -3 right now. 3-0 in conference play. Am i delusional or right on par?

Dude, you already changed your name from tater-tot?   Same stuff every year now?   Join in January and then start trolling?  Go back to Chef Roy or one of your other incarnations….at least it gives some perspective into your weird persona.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2022 5:27 pm
MaxLobo
(@maxlobo)
Posted by: @loborick

This has become commonplace the past few years.  About halfway through the season we get a ton of new posters.  And they have nothing of substance to contribute. 

This is clearly the same guy as who joined last January under several different handles.   Weird one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2022 5:29 pm
LaVidaLobo
(@lavidalobo)
Lobo

Well, the team would still have Bayron Matos and Jamel King, instead of House and Mashburn. You can decide for....er I mean delude yourself.

Jamel King has played in 3 games so far this year https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4433227/jamel-king

Bayron Matos has played in 13 game so far this year. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4612507/bayron-matos

House https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4431763/jaelen-house

Mashburn https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4432408/jamal-mashburn-jr

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 2:14 am
Scott liked
PapaLobo12
(@papalobo12)
Pup

@nickname WWWD? Thanks for the laugh and the reminder of one of the worst hires in UNM basketball history. He was unimaginative in his coaching style, a bad recruiter, had no plan forward, no offensive sets, and I was relieved when he was shown the door. WWWD? He'd go back to school for another degree that amounts to little success in basketball.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 2:50 am
Nickname Nick
(@nickname)
Pup
Posted by: @papalobo12

@nickname WWWD? Thanks for the laugh and the reminder of one of the worst hires in UNM basketball history. He was unimaginative in his coaching style, a bad recruiter, had no plan forward, no offensive sets, and I was relieved when he was shown the door. WWWD? He'd go back to school for another degree that amounts to little success in basketball.  

@Papalobo12 thanks for being the only one to get the point of my post. Coach P doesn't look so bad when compared to Weir. We just need to have some patience. Go Lobos!!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 14, 2022 5:12 am
Nickname Nick
(@nickname)
Pup
Posted by: @maxlobo

What Would Weir Do with this year's squad? I know this is a touchy subject but I would like to see some honest answers. I for one think he would be 13 -3 right now. 3-0 in conference play. Am i delusional or right on par?

Dude, you already changed your name from tater-tot?   Same stuff every year now?   Join in January and then start trolling?  Go back to Chef Roy or one of your other incarnations….at least it gives some perspective into your weird persona.

This is definitely a weird message board. I don't have any idea what you are talking about. This is Lobo basketball right?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 14, 2022 5:14 am
acct_lobo
(@acct_lobo)
Pup

WWWD? Not dwell on the past, man! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 8:31 am
Riches6
(@riches6)
Lobo

I agree with all you said except, oddly enough, I thought Weir was a good recruiter.  At least somehow he got talent here. Think about the talent he brought in:  Antino Jackson, Maluach, Vance Jackson, Cory Manigault, JJ Caldwell, Carlton Bragg, Jaquan Lyle, Zane Martin, Vante Hendrix and Keith McGee. All of those guys were on his 2018 team except the first.  That is quite a roster for any coach to have.  Now you can rightly argue a lot were head cases and the coaching was horrible but there are a lot of guys on that roster that many P5 schools wanted.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Riches6
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 8:52 am
Scott, loborick, abqpianist and 1 people liked
Lobomaniac2018
(@lobomaniac2018)
Lobo Registered

This is what Paul Weir would do.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Lobomaniac2018
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 10:04 am
Nickname Nick
(@nickname)
Pup
Posted by: @riches6

I agree with all you said except, oddly enough, I thought Weir was a good recruiter.  At least somehow he got talent here. Think about the talent he brought in:  Antino Jackson, Maluach, Vance Jackson, Cory Manigault, JJ Caldwell, Carlton Bragg, Jaquan Lyle, Zane Martin, Vante Hendrix and Keith McGee. All of those guys were on his 2018 team except the first.  That is quite a roster for any coach to have.  Now you can rightly argue a lot were head cases and the coaching was horrible but there are a lot of guys on that roster that many P5 schools wanted.

I wish we still had Keith McGee, I will never forget him with the broom in the PIT after we swept State. Classic Keith

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 14, 2022 5:59 pm
Riches6 liked
BadgeofHonor1
(@badgeofhonor1)
Pup

Attrition. Drama. Losing.

It's like Weir never left. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 6:33 pm
loboss liked
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin
Posted by: @badgeofhonor1

Attrition. Drama. Losing.

It's like Weir never left. 

Really?

I hope you have your optometrist appointment soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 9:42 pm
hippyboi and JulieG liked
loboss
(@loboss)
Pup

@lobo2x53 what are the notable differences for you to date?  In terms of team performance? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 11:56 pm
loboss
(@loboss)
Pup

Having said all that, bith Pitino and Weir arrived to empty cupboards and had to pull rosters together quickly. Comparing first seasons, there is no argument that Weir (to date) has outperformed Pitino and with near 100% certainty do so for the first season.  I doubt you could get anyone to bet this team gets past the playin game to the MWC tourney unless Covid plays a role.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 10:13 am
BadgeofHonor1
(@badgeofhonor1)
Pup
Posted by: @loboss

@lobo2x53 what are the notable differences for you to date?  In terms of team performance? 

<crickets>

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 10:19 am
loboss liked
olivejay11
(@olivejay11)
Pup

Well for one he would not have this roster. Also his players who were cornerstones of last years team are either currently bench ornaments or role players and he wasn't going to outcoach anyone so probably much worse than it is currently.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 12:21 pm
loboss
(@loboss)
Pup
Posted by: @olivejay11

Well for one he would not have this roster. Also his players who were cornerstones of last years team are either currently bench ornaments or role players and he wasn't going to outcoach anyone so probably much worse than it is currently.  

The context is comparing Weirs first season and Pitinos.  Weir ended his first season at  3rd in MWC and within about 30 seconds of winning the MWC tourney after a full roster turnover following Neals completely disastrous final season.

Waiting on your retort.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 12:25 pm
LaVidaLobo
(@lavidalobo)
Lobo

The context is comparing Weirs first season and Pitinos.  Weir ended his first season at  3rd in MWC and within about 30 seconds of winning the MWC tourney after a full roster turnover following Neals completely disastrous final season.

Waiting on your retort.

I thought you had followed Weir to wherever he is these days Bubba. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 1:00 pm
loboss
(@loboss)
Pup
Posted by: @lavidalobo

Waiting on your retort.

I thought you had followed Weir to wherever he is these days Bubba. 

Will note as an an "no contest".  WTH is Bubba btw?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 2:40 pm
Hoser
(@hoser)
Pack Leader

You are more than delusional, you have to be high on something. 😆 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2022 9:03 am
hippyboi liked
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

<crickets>

To you and your twin curmudgeon,

As you well know, I am primarily covering the WBB side, so no, I do not spend every waking moment on the MBB pages.

Especially when others have answered your questions. Repeatedly.

But because learning is connected to repetition I will give you a short version.

1.  Players effort more positive, more consistently.

2.  There is a plan on the court.

3.  The coach actually plays nice with the rest of the AD.

4.  I see positives at practice, not the school yard recess that I saw at practices previously.

That's a start.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2022 10:01 am
loboss
(@loboss)
Pup
Posted by: @lobo2x53

<crickets>

As you well know, I am primarily covering the WBB side, so no, I do not spend every waking moment on the MBB pages.

But because learning is connected to repetition I will give you a short version.

4.  I see positives at practice, not the school yard recess that I saw at practices previously.

That's a start.

Ummm the context is comparing Pitinos and Weirs first seasons as both came onto teams with full roster turnover and terrible seasons preceding. 

I'll go first- Weir pulled a team together quickly after Neals implosion that improved over the course of the season finishing 3rd in the MWC and led in the final game of the MWC tourney into the last 3 minutes.  

So teach me again...within the context of comparison. 

Any teacher would know better than to compare last years team that could not practice much, lived in motels and never played a home game to this years squad dont you think? 

And believe me I was not a Weir fan just interested to get a perspective on what Pitino has shown in his first season against Weirs first season that brings such confidence he is a step uo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2022 11:27 am
Lobo2x53
(@lobo2x53)
Member Admin

<crickets>

That's a start.

Ummm the context is comparing Pitinos and Weirs first seasons as both came onto teams with full roster turnover and terrible seasons preceding. 

I'll go first- Weir pulled a team together quickly after Neals implosion that improved over the course of the season finishing 3rd in the MWC and led in the final game of the MWC tourney into the last 3 minutes.  

Any teacher would know better than to compare last years team that could not practice much, lived in motels and never played a home game to this years squad dont you think? 

And believe me I was not a Weir fan just interested to get a perspective on what Pitino has shown in his first season against Weirs first season that brings such confidence he is a step uo.

You asked for differences.  Differences are most certainly not limited to 1st season vs 1st season.  There are other reasonable comparisons to make.

Whether Weir's first season or last, some things never changed in his 5 seasons.  #2, 3, and 4 on my list above were true across all five of those seasons, so they are therefore true comparing Weir's 1st season to his last one.

#1 I will admit, Weir's first season team did play hard--it seemed to diminish after that.  So let me reword that for you:  So far I have seen this season's team play hard each time I have watched them, Weir's teams, probably 50% or less.

#2 In his 1st season he was called out on here (rightly, I believe) for not making needed in-game adjustments.  I see Pitino trying to make them, though often the weapons he has to work with limit some of that.

#3 That was true the day PW walked in, and never seemed to change.

#4 Pretty much the same in years one through four with Weir.  He had a similarity to what I saw with Yvonne Sanchez as coach:  "I am telling you philosophically what I want, but we are not going to establish the basics to get you all there.  Just go out and figure out how to translate the abstract philosophy into play on the court".  It did not work well for either of them.  Probably the biggest single complaint I have about the Weir era is how he never developed Maluach to the degree I thought he should have.  Athletically MM was a thoroughbred, but until the second half of his JR season I saw very little working with him in practices to turn him into the beast he should have become.  Yes, as a SR he was good.  I believe "good" is an inditement of the staff to develop him.  As a comparison, look at Maluach's FR season vs his Jr & Sr seasons.  Then compare that to how Mike's staff as developed Shai McGruder.  With his physical talent, and the apparent willingness to work & get better, MM should have been a dominant MWC player, not just a "good" one.

As to your other comment about comparing "last years team that could not practice much, lived in motels and never played a home game", you are correct. That is a different universe compared to the 2021-22 reality.  However I am not sure I give COVID Displacement Syndrome all the credit (or blame) for how 2020-21 turned out.  I saw another UNM basketball team that seemed to figure out how to do OK in the same exact situation (actually the MBB team had MORE stability than the WBB team did with practices, etc.).  Maybe if point #3 was not quite as true he could have adapted some of what Bradburry did and not gone quite as badly as 6-16.  But #3 was very much an issue.

So I stick with my answer:  I see things in Pitino's first season that I believe are systemic positives that I never saw in five seasons of PW.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2022 6:47 pm
loboss
(@loboss)
Pup

<crickets>

That's a start.

You asked for differences.  Differences are most certainly not limited to 1st season vs 1st season.  There are other reasonable comparisons to make.

Whether Weir's first season or last, some things never changed in his 5 seasons.  #2, 3, and 4 on my list above were true across all five of those seasons, so they are therefore true comparing Weir's 1st season to his last one.

#1 I will admit, Weir's first season team did play hard--it seemed to diminish after that.  So let me reword that for you:  So far I have seen this season's team play hard each time I have watched them, Weir's teams, probably 50% or less.

#2 In his 1st season he was called out on here (rightly, I believe) for not making needed in-game adjustments.  I see Pitino trying to make them, though often the weapons he has to work with limit some of that.

#3 That was true the day PW walked in, and never seemed to change.

#4 Pretty much the same in years one through four with Weir.  He had a similarity to what I saw with Yvonne Sanchez as coach:  "I am telling you philosophically what I want, but we are not going to establish the basics to get you all there.  Just go out and figure out how to translate the abstract philosophy into play on the court".  It did not work well for either of them.  Probably the biggest single complaint I have about the Weir era is how he never developed Maluach to the degree I thought he should have.  Athletically MM was a thoroughbred, but until the second half of his JR season I saw very little working with him in practices to turn him into the beast he should have become.  Yes, as a SR he was good.  I believe "good" is an inditement of the staff to develop him.  As a comparison, look at Maluach's FR season vs his Jr & Sr seasons.  Then compare that to how Mike's staff as developed Shai McGruder.  With his physical talent, and the apparent willingness to work & get better, MM should have been a dominant MWC player, not just a "good" one.

As to your other comment about comparing "last years team that could not practice much, lived in motels and never played a home game", you are correct. That is a different universe compared to the 2021-22 reality.  However I am not sure I give COVID Displacement Syndrome all the credit (or blame) for how 2020-21 turned out.  I saw another UNM basketball team that seemed to figure out how to do OK in the same exact situation (actually the MBB team had MORE stability than the WBB team did with practices, etc.).  Maybe if point #3 was not quite as true he could have adapted some of what Bradburry did and not gone quite as badly as 6-16.  But #3 was very much an issue.

So I stick with my answer:  I see things in Pitino's first season that I believe are systemic positives that I never saw in five seasons of PW.

Good response.  I was very optimistic with Weir until I saw Jaquan Lyle completely play for himself with only effort on offense and none on D over and over again until the team basically ran Weir off the court. 

My concern with Pitino was at the onset his allowing and cheering his two undersized guards to bomb away and completely ignore any attempt to run the ball inside and run good offense against the early season foes instead of reinforcing AAU habits, which I think had to have affected Valdir and Gethros decision to leave in this easy transfer era.  The Bigs have all the attitude problems on this team all season along with none of the touches, coincidence?

Only in the past 4 games or so has there been some energy directed to move the ball more but the trajectory is set, two less Bigs to work with and usually a two man offense.  JJ has been shooting lights out but our two primary ballhandlers can't give him quality feeds for the whole last game....  The team has improved lately but IMO their ceiling is quite low and we will continue to struggle to even be competitive with any upcoming conference foes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2022 7:50 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: