Clear all

Why can’t UNM Provide fans this type of information  

BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo
JulieG
(@julieg)
Contributor

I wonder who controls the info there, the coach, the athletic director or someone with just is tight with the program? It would seem here that little is getting out. It is nice to see who apparently would leave since it could mean some come here. I think we might get one or two if they want to leave, but that is just guess.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 10:04 pm
BAD DAWG liked
hobo
 hobo
(@hobo)
Lobo

The result of the article comes from an independent website, not directly from the Univ of Minnesota. It apparently has many facts that are just detailed into one nice article. The Lair has similar information, but is primarily a forum and it is up to us to put the details together. 

Many P5 schools have a bigger alumni base hence can support multiple independent forums that include popular hosts such as SBNation, 24x7, Rivals, and several others. For instance, the Texas Longhorns must have at least 5 sports websites forums, all good sources. Some of these sites even allow for the members to post articles (that are typically opinionated). And with the larger fanbase, they cab have multiple sources closely connected to the sports departments with more insight information.

At New Mexico, we have 1 popular forum, The Lair, and few not so popular like DiaDelLobos. And we have only a few insiders like Brooklyn and Mark. The Lair also has a reporter, Isabel.

So it seems at this time, we don't have enough resources that can expand our reach into the program, or at least report it like the Daily Gopher.. The facts may exist on The Lair, you just have to do more work finding the details that this article puts together nicely with just one click. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2021 4:23 am
Lobo2x53, JulieG, BAD DAWG and 3 people liked
hunterig
(@hunterig)
Lobo

A writer put together this story which combines some factual material with a good bit of speculation.

They have three transfer commitments at this time, but if Ben Johnson were supplying the information there would be better information on the potential two incoming freshmen. Johnson can comment on those because they signed their letters previously.

This would be a good story for Isabel or Geoff Grammer to put together.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2021 6:10 am
hobo and BAD DAWG liked
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Lobo

I think Bad Dawg should get together all the info he can find on the Internet and otherwise and put together a similar article for the Lobo fan base. That is all the writer of that article did.

I don’t think Pitino has been here long enough to trust anyone as an “Insider” to his BB Program. I hope in time he will as I think it does help in recruiting to leak out a name of a prospective recruit. The fan base can have a positive and negative effect on the recruit’s decision.

Ben Johnson at MN has history there and may already have a friend or two that he feels he can trust with info. I will trust in Pitino’s judgement, in that regard. 

It’s still very early in the process and I believe some Lobo BB fans are being way  too impatient. In the meantime, posting the names of players considering the Lobos, info on social media, should at least be posted on the Recruiting Forum. Their  names get lost on some of the lengthy threads on this forum.

This post was modified 2 days ago 2 times by BrutusXXX
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2021 6:22 am
abqpianist, hobo, Lobo2x53 and 5 people liked
BubbaWolf
(@bubbawolf)
Pup

@bad-dawg "the herd" has been on their best behavior for a few weeks and I've stayed away....but if ya'll start acting up again, I'm gonna have to start my rehabilitation program once again. Please let Junior do his job in peace....he's actually very accessible and he might even interact with this board. Please show JR. that we are a knowledgeable and respectful fan base. Thanks 😊

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2021 7:26 am
loboman liked
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo

@brutusxxx

Thanks but no thanks Brutus. I already have plenty on my plate with all my Honey-Do’s and all. 

IMO the best person for that role is Digital he’s by far the Lairs “go to man” when it comes to information gathering. He’s quick thorough and accurate!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 8, 2021 7:50 am
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Lobo

@hobo

Simply my wishful thinking 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 8, 2021 7:53 am
hobo liked
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Pack Leader Customer, Registered, Lobo level
Posted by: @bad-dawg

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2021/4/7/22370134/minnesota-gopher-basketball-roster-changes-transfer-portal-and-ben-johnsons-roster-in-2021-2022

Most direct answer is that if UNM did, it would be a NCAA violation.  As many note here, if a school like UNM violates the rules, we get the book thrown at us while if a P5 like Minn. does, nothing happens.  Also as others have said here, Minn. did not officially release this info, it comes from internet research by a fan site.  Kids tweet or otherwise make known offers and under NCAA rules, schools/coaches can at the most acknowledge they are recruiting the player - nothing more.  So if reporters here were skowering the internet, they (not UNM ) could try to interview the prospect  and ask coach to confirm if we are recruiting him and then write an article, including any and all speculation, etc. they want.   

Coach Pitino has made clear he plans to build this program the "right way" and the last thing I would want is before he has coached his 1st game here, to be violating NCAA recruiting rules.  I know fans these days want instant gratification about everything but quality takes time and a McDonalds cheese-burger is not the same as a Ruth Cris steak. Evaluating not only the b-ball ability but scholastic, character and "fit" can't be done in "drive-through" time.  I am desirous of Coach getting the right staff, great ball-players, quality students and very positive representatives of UNM and that isn't done overnight nor just by looking up star ratings or a few stats (that's for reporters and fan site folks) -getting it right is hard time consuming work which is compounded by Covid restrictions on visits and in person contact.              

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2021 8:58 am
hunterig, abqpianist, acct_lobo and 2 people liked
Share: