Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Jose Murillo

Page 1 / 3
MaxLobo
(@maxlobo)

There's been some talk about Jose Murillo on this board.  I've watched him a bit this year.  Don't know if Lobos (or any D-1) giving him serious looks yet.  From seeing him my thoughts are soft hands, great athlete (for a 6-8 or whatever he's listed at), high motor/grit, runs WELL, very nice foot work (and apparently yet another kid that's only been playing for a limited time so far).  Anyway, the clip below has been making the rounds on twitter recently.   We saw him do this exact same thing a couple of times when they played our teem this year....he beat our guards down the court a few times. 

I don't know exactly what level he fits in but should be a fit somewhere at the next level for this kid. 

https://twitter.com/SAHQbasketball/status/1500526415506194433

Topic starter Posted : March 7, 2022 9:11 am
loboray, BrutusXXX, txlobo95 and 17 people reacted
Dr.M
 Dr.M
(@dr-m)
Famed Member
Posted by: @maxlobo

There's been some talk about Jose Murillo on this board.  I've watched him a bit this year.  Don't know if Lobos (or any D-1) giving him serious looks yet.  From seeing him my thoughts are soft hands, great athlete (for a 6-8 or whatever he's listed at), high motor/grit, runs WELL, very nice foot work (and apparently yet another kid that's only been playing for a limited time so far).  Anyway, the clip below has been making the rounds on twitter recently.   We saw him do this exact same thing a couple of times when they played our teem this year....he beat our guards down the court a few times. 

I don't know exactly what level he fits in but should be a fit somewhere at the next level for this kid. 

https://twitter.com/SAHQbasketball/status/1500526415506194433

I haven't seen him play so can only judge based on what I read about him. He has height, at least fair athleticism, and a great attitude. That should make him D-I recruitable, but a list of scholarship offers from an ABQ Journal article was exclusively D-II. He is from Mexico and may have started playing basketball fairly recently, the very definition of a project. I'm sure UNM is well aware of him but needs to reload with bigs who can contribute immediately. 

Posted : March 7, 2022 9:53 am
EPluribusUNM, MaxLobo, EPluribusUNM and 5 people reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

He could end up at unm eventually, if he either goes JC level like Greg Brown did or lower level D1 where he can gain experience and if he can show he would be mwc type good, to bring him home to unm for last couple of years?

Posted : March 7, 2022 12:19 pm
Dr.M, Dr.M, Dr.M and 1 people reacted
JulieG
(@julieg)
Illustrious Member Admin Registered

He has a 3.5 grade point. I am sure that there are a number of colleges willing to give him a shot. In the video he does have speed on his side.

Posted : March 7, 2022 2:58 pm
Scott, BrutusXXX, Scott and 5 people reacted
MaxLobo
(@maxlobo)
Posted by: @julieg

He has a 3.5 grade point. I am sure that there are a number of colleges willing to give him a shot. In the video he does have speed on his side.

I think the night we played them he was also 2 of 3 from distance. Kid has some skills and I'll be very interested in following him wherever he winds up.  With his lack of experience it might have been a good thing that he's in the 4A division; however, I would think he could match up without too much problem with pretty much any other HS bigs in NM this season.  Barring any upsets he'll get three more games this year including the final two in the Pit.....he might draw some more attention. 

Topic starter Posted : March 7, 2022 3:53 pm
JulieG, BrutusXXX, JulieG and 5 people reacted
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Illustrious Member

As an In-State student I believe his tuition would be covered if he came to Lobos as a walk-on and would not count as one of 13 players on scholarship. I see the potential and do think Lobos need to take a serious look. I am sure, the Aggies will.

Posted : March 7, 2022 5:09 pm
Scott, Madlobofan1961, Scott and 5 people reacted
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@brutusxxx Nice thought  ,but just found out he 's going to Eastern  N. M.

Posted : March 7, 2022 5:15 pm
BAD DAWG, Scott, JulieG and 21 people reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @madlobofan1961

@brutusxxx Nice thought  ,but just found out he 's going to Eastern  N. M.

Again, if he can develop, maybe he steps up next level to UNM down the road?  Would be a win/win.

Don't we have a former UNM coach at Eastern?

Posted : March 7, 2022 11:48 pm
You, , and 1 people reacted
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@txlobo95 Coach Weir, proves he can still recruit  nice talent! To bad he couldn't  Coach talent once he got it.Anyway so much for getting  N . M. Talent!!! That kid Marcus, that plays for Coach B.Mason basketball institute will definitely not play for the Lobos !!! Be realistic,All those other Colleges that have recruited him and all the potential he has will go elsewhere!! I guarantee  this 100 percent  .Kenny Thomas was the only high profile recruit we ever signed.Thanks solely to the Maloof family.So don t say we re recruiting local talent,We ll never sign them.Go get them Lobos go beat our former high recruit in Coach Alford and his Good Buddy Noodles in Las Vegas tomorrow Oh by the way why is" Hito" Cullen  behind the Neveda bench  when he should be in the  NBA ! RIGHT .

This post was modified 9 months ago 3 times by Madlobofan1961
Posted : March 8, 2022 8:57 am
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@dr-m When  you say we need  help now.Who are we gonna recruit, Bigs like (Carlton Bragg,Valdir Manuel  and Gethro Muscadin) their names are in the transfer  portal!!!!Maybe they ll play a whole season this time!!!! Elsewhere 

This post was modified 9 months ago by Madlobofan1961
Posted : March 8, 2022 9:15 am
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@txlobo95 Why can t Coach Pitino develop him ,instead of losing him to another  school after he is developed .If I was him I d sign with one of New Mexico 'a opponents. To put his developed  talents to work ,just to show Coach Pitino what he didn't ' recruit Let some other school develop  our potential  talent  ,instead of working to develop  them for the Lobos .(I guess it was just a put on), When Pitino said  he would recruit N.M. hard.Love PITINO  but this is one statement  he made that so far that he is not owning up to.He thinks he ' a gonna get Coach Mason 's kid in 2024 ,That's wishful thinking !!!what N.M. kid is on his list next???

This post was modified 9 months ago by Madlobofan1961
Posted : March 8, 2022 9:32 am
JulieG
(@julieg)

Evidently Mad Lobo fan is MAD!

I don't think that Pitino is not going to not look at NM kids. Murillo has already been recruited to a NM college, Eastern.

Our need for next year is not inexperienced Bigs, we did that last year. We need transfer Bigs with a record of performance.

Posted : March 8, 2022 10:15 am
txlobo95, Scott, txlobo95 and 5 people reacted
BrutusXXX
(@brutusxxx)
Illustrious Member

It appears, he will accept Eastern’s offer according to ABQ article. Mad … do you know him personally and able to confirm that he is adamant in his decision? If Pitino wants him, he can possibly still get him on Lobo’s roster as a walk-on. In recruiting, it’s never over till it’s over. 

Posted : March 8, 2022 11:40 am
Madlobofan1961, JulieG, Scott and 9 people reacted
Scott
(@Scott)
Illustrious Member

I don't think that Pitino is not going to not look at NM kids. Murillo has already been recruited to a NM college, Eastern.

Our need for next year is not inexperienced Bigs, we did that last year. We need transfer Bigs with a record of performance.

Mad Lobo's recent posts on this thread are starting to remind me of another member or two who were Mad from time to time...

This post was modified 9 months ago by Scott
Posted : March 8, 2022 12:45 pm
loborick, loborick, loborick and 1 people reacted
txlobo95
(@txlobo95)
Illustrious Member

Yep,

Why wasn't Mad Lobo pissed off about us not recruiting the 6'11" kid from Las Cruces?  Where was he/she then?

Posted : March 8, 2022 1:09 pm
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@julieg Yes we do Let's wait , and see who transfers  from Kansas  So we can recruit them .tThey can help  right away like (Carlton  Bragg or Valdir Manuel or Gethro Muscadin) they could help us right away! They should  be in the transfer portal.No I m not  mad I don t even know  Mr. MARILLO,I JUST THOUGHT WE COULD recruit N.M. kids on Scholarship  instead of making them walk on status! Anyway  I Love my Lobos  and just want what's good for my loved and cherished Lobos .Go Lobos O h by the way  you think 2024 that Lobos have s chance to sign that  Marcus  kid !! Send him to Highlands for development  then Lobos will be in trested..He ll never stay here  keep dreaming 

This post was modified 9 months ago 2 times by Madlobofan1961
Posted : March 8, 2022 6:21 pm
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@Scott Never Mad just wondering  ,someone  mentioned that kid in Las Cruces I don't  know  ,or ever seen this kid play so I can t be mad for him.But at the same time the same question Is about his status is the same.He 'A N.M. kid with I 'm sure talent that ,if not an Aggie ,he Ll probably  go where he is wanted.On Scholarship  not walking on status Go Lobos 

Posted : March 8, 2022 6:45 pm
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@Scott Never Mad just wondering  ,someone  mentioned that kid in Las Cruces I don't  know  ,or ever seen this kid play so I can t be mad for him.But at the same time the same question Is about his status is the same.He 'A N.M. kid with I 'm sure talent that ,if not an Aggie ,he Ll probably  go where he is wanted.On Scholarship  not walking on status Go Lobos 

Posted : March 8, 2022 6:50 pm
BAD DAWG
(@bad-dawg)
Noble Member

@julieg 

Sounds like he's his Dad and every Dad thinks their kid is a star.

Saw this kid play and he isn't ready for D-1 BB at this time should go to JUCO so he may play and improve

Posted : March 8, 2022 6:51 pm
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@Scott No I'm not mad. Why would  I be mad if we let our talent go elsewhere. BUT to PUT NEW Mexico kids on the team as Walk on Status is what I see in Black and white . 1 recruit  from N.M. would be nice to see on New Mexico roster .I hate for them to have to work for a Scholarship. When recruits like Carton Bragg,Valdir Manuel  Gethro Muscadin can receive a full ride to only play half a season .1 season waisted on developing a  local kid from  N.M. That's all I m saying .If the Coaches can waist Scholarships like that ,instead of giving a N.M. kid a chance  with a Scholarship to prove himself,instead of doing it from a walk on Go Lobos

Posted : March 8, 2022 7:03 pm
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@txlobo95 Yup your right I should  be mad at any  N. M.kid that's deserving  of A SCHOLARSHIP TOPLAY FOR THE LOBOS. AND ONLY GETS A WALK ON STATUS!! WHEN SOME OF OUR BEST N.M. ATHLETES  GO ELSEWHERE ON FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIPS.

Posted : March 8, 2022 7:10 pm
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@julieg wow what a rude assumption  of me! I DON'T EVEN KNOW  THIS YOUNG MAN .TO SAY THAT I M THINKING LIKE A DAD THAT THINKS HIS KID IS A STAR.MAN THATS A BIT OUT THERE,I WAS JUST TRYING  TO BRING  ATTENTION  TO HIM.,AS A LICAL KID THAT COULD  HELP .I NEVER SAID HE WOULD BE A STAR ,NOR DID I SAY HE WAS THE ANSWER TO THELOBOS PROBLEM  OF KEEPING  GOOD BIGS .My thing is about  having at least 1 N. M. Kid next year on Scholarship offer.Or sometime in the future. N.M.kids are better than walk ons.But reading your expertise  on the Lobos your A poor judge character,all I want is my Lobos to do what they used to recruit N.M.kids. Go Lobos

Posted : March 8, 2022 7:37 pm
loborick
(@loborick)

@julieg wow what a rude assumption  of me! I DON'T EVEN KNOW  THIS YOUNG MAN .TO SAY THAT I M THINKING LIKE A DAD THAT THINKS HIS KID IS A STAR.MAN THATS A BIT OUT THERE,I WAS JUST TRYING  TO BRING  ATTENTION  TO HIM.,AS A LICAL KID THAT COULD  HELP .I NEVER SAID HE WOULD BE A STAR ,NOR DID I SAY HE WAS THE ANSWER TO THELOBOS PROBLEM  OF KEEPING  GOOD BIGS .My thing is about  having at least 1 N. M. Kid next year on Scholarship offer.Or sometime in the future. N.M.kids are better than walk ons.But reading your expertise  on the Lobos your A poor judge character,all I want is my Lobos to do what they used to recruit N.M.kids. Go Lobos

Wow.  Take a chill pill.  The good thing about the new scholarship bill is we can put local kids on the roster as walk ons since they get a full ride from the state.  That leaves other slots on the roster for out of state players.  But we need NM players that are capable of high D-1 competition.  They don't come out that often.

Posted : March 8, 2022 9:08 pm
Digital Lobo, Digital Lobo, Digital Lobo and 5 people reacted
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@loborick Right let's recruit N.M. kids for the free eduction program (walk on)That should make a N.M. kid hungry  to get an walk on Scholarship for the Lobos maybe they'll  qualify  for food stamps  while the Scholarship  players  eat the top of the line meals because  N.M.kids just aren't  good enough !But high profile  recruits  can get treated like kings,thenthey turn around  and make the University  waist Scholarship  for trouble recruits  from  other Colleges. Not fair to our own New Mexican Athletes hoping for a fair  shot at a Scholarship! Anyway  I Love My Lobos 1961 .I ve seen  alot of worthyNM. Athletes play for  UNM  I could see Kenny Thomas,Greg Brown,Royce Olney or Alex Kirk as walk ons ,to save 13 ScholarshipsGo Lobos  

Posted : March 8, 2022 10:19 pm
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member
  1. Posted by: @madlobofan1961

@loborick yeah your  right!!! then you sit them at the end of the bench and use the for the practice team team OPPONENT. To better the true Scholarship  players!!! Wow go New Mexico.Even Alford had 3 New Mexicans  on his Championship season (Chad Adam's AlexKirkand *koryAlford walkon) No talent in N. M. Wow Of course Alford developed Chad and Alex as both were raw N.M. kids! FRESHMAN  UP TO A CHAMPIONSHIP  SENIOR  SEASON! BUT I STILL  DON'T  THINK HIGHLY OF Alford but he does know  talent when he sees it.Then he s proven to develop  them to.

Posted : March 8, 2022 10:38 pm
JulieG
(@julieg)

Come on MadLobo, I never made an assumption about you except to say you were MAD. What you are getting carried away about was not written by me.

Posted : March 8, 2022 11:07 pm
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@loborick Right let's recruit N.M. kids for the free eduction program (walk on)That should make a N.M. kid hungry  to get an walk on Scholarship for the Lobos maybe they'll  qualify  for food stamps  while the Scholarship  players  eat the top of the line meals because  N.M.kids just aren't  good enough !But high profile  recruits  can get treated like kings,thenthey turn around  and make the University  waist Scholarship  for trouble recruits  from  other Colleges. Not fair to our own New Mexican Athletes hoping for a fair  shot at a Scholarship! Anyway  I Love My Lobos 1961 .I ve seen  alot of worthyNM. Athletes play for  UNM  I could see Kenny Thomas,Greg Brown,Royce Olney or Alex Kirk as walk ons ,to save 13 ScholarshipsGo Lobos  

Posted : March 9, 2022 12:10 am
Madlobofan1961
(@madlobofan1961)
Estimable Member

@julieg No we are all Lobo fans ,die hards like me ,so my point was,I Thought this kid was a nice potential  recruit  for my Lobos.  Now I don t have a clue how a kid gets evaluated for recruits I just thought I d bring his name up and see were it would go ,hoping to see this kid in my selfish mind in a Lobo uniform. Also to N.M. kids to get a chance  at a Athletic  Scholarship Instead of having to walk on a state  given Scholarship. WHAT DOES THAT TELL KIDS THAT DON T HAVE ANY EXPOSURE AT ALL.SIT THE BENCH AND BE HAPPY YOUR GETTING YOUR EDUCATION PAID FOR.OR EARN YOUR ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP. GO Lobos  and all N.M. Athletes that want be a Lobo don't give up!!

Posted : March 9, 2022 12:23 am
Scott
(@Scott)
Illustrious Member

@Scott No I'm not mad. Why would  I be mad if we let our talent go elsewhere. BUT to PUT NEW Mexico kids on the team as Walk on Status is what I see in Black and white . 1 recruit  from N.M. would be nice to see on New Mexico roster .I hate for them to have to work for a Scholarship. When recruits like Carton Bragg,Valdir Manuel  Gethro Muscadin can receive a full ride to only play half a season .1 season waisted on developing a  local kid from  N.M. That's all I m saying .If the Coaches can waist Scholarships like that ,instead of giving a N.M. kid a chance  with a Scholarship to prove himself,instead of doing it from a walk on Go Lobos

Fair enough. thx.

Posted : March 9, 2022 8:11 am
Doublealum
(@doublealum)
Illustrious Member

I am not a professional college prospect evaluator but our coaches are.  As a fan of UNM and a New Mexican, I am of the opinion that if NM prospect is a legit D1 prospect, has the grades and the staff determines  he is a good young person, then if it is close between that kid and an out of state prospect, the "tie" should go to the NM kid BUT if a NM prospect just isn't seen after a fair evaluation as having as much potential as a non-NM kid to help the team then our staff has to  go with the "better" one regardless of where he/she is from. For example this year's recruiting class needs more mature D1 ready "bigs."  Therefore, while there may be a young man from NM who has some D1 potential but is a project at the 4-5, our coaches have to make the call whether sacrificing next year's significant need for a "maybe" in a couple of years is the right decision - that's one of the main reasons they get paid.  As a fan, I defer to the professionals.

Additionally,  I think that a school like UNM almost has to take a chance on a high risk-high gain type at times.  If  the potential is great enough and perhaps the young person needs a 2nd chance, a chance to mature, a bit more mentoring than may he/she would get from a program that doesn't have to take such chances, then I think  the coaches have to again make the call if the potential gain is worth the risk.  Having watched us go down this road, I think we have seen some real successes come of this approach and some major disasters. It is my opinion that "loading up" on this type of recruit is not a good idea but after some real character evaluation, one every year or so seems like a reasonable/necessary approach for us.  Again, me &/or other fans watching some highlight film or reviewing a kids past "star rating" and getting excited is not anything the staff should consider - its their job to weigh the risks vs. the potential gain and make the decision - sometimes it will be a great "get" (think Drew Gordan) and sometimes not but that's why our coaches get paid and get hired or fired.             

Posted : March 9, 2022 9:11 am
Madlobofan1961, JulieG, Madlobofan1961 and 5 people reacted
Page 1 / 3